Forum Sponsors

Pippa's Guardians

https://sjbsashwindows.co.uk/

www.clintonmckenzie.com

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
messageHow many more holidays do private schools have in comparison with state schools?
Posted by Sol 13 March, 2013 17:17

How many more weeks holidays do private schools have in comparison with state schools? I believe there are about 13/14 weeks holidays in the school year for state schools; how about private schools?

Is there a reason for this?

messageRe: How many more holidays do private schools have in comparison with state schools?
Posted by Townleygreen 13 March, 2013 17:50

They tend to get about 17 weeks (at least the local day schools). But don't forget that they work longer days - finishing later that your state schools. Someone worked out that the number of hours worked at each was about the same.

messageRe: How many more holidays do private schools have in comparison with state schools?
Posted by uncleglen 13 March, 2013 20:09

They have 2 weeks for the Autumn half term (state schools have 1) and they finish 2 weeks earlier in the summer. Yes they do work longer days- up to 4:15 whereas your average state school finishes at 3:30 0r before. There may well be a law about the hours students are entitled to be taught for....

Posted by Townleygreen 13 March, 2013 20:23

Many state schools finish way before 3.30!!- 2.15 in some cases

Posted by uncleglen 13 March, 2013 20:45

Good grief- what on earth do they get up to after 2.15 until mummy and/or daddy get home?

Posted by tomk 13 March, 2013 21:08

State schools = 12 weeks holiday pa. Most state schools finish somewhere between 3.10-3.30.

Posted by pebbles 13 March, 2013 21:08

Not sure about a reason but Dulwich day schools get 20 weeks holiday a year!!

Posted by woodrot 14 March, 2013 08:34

you are like seriously not like wondering why private skools have more holidays are you ?

please tell me it aint so

Posted by womanofdulwich 14 March, 2013 08:42

i think state schools have 13 weeks holidays, private about 17 weeks.you can add a few teacher training days to the state schools

Posted by Townleygreen 14 March, 2013 09:06

Pebbles said: Not sure about a reason but Dulwich day schools get 20 weeks holiday a year!!

No, they get 17 as I said earlier.

Posted by pebbles 14 March, 2013 09:11

Sorry to put all the schools under one bracket however my kids go to Dulwich Prep and they have 20 weeks

Posted by Townleygreen 14 March, 2013 09:14

OK, I was talking about the big 3 (Alleyn's, DC, JAGs)

Posted by adnankha2 August 05, 11:20PM

This forum requires you to create a new account because you do not use a ninjakiwi.com game account. It is said that you utilize the exact name to enroll. Do not take someone else's name. I want buy essays online uk now. New members need 5 posts and 1 day before they can create new topics. If you have questions and can not create a thread, use General Thread Questions. Fun, read the rules and enjoy the NK forum!

Posted by Bob Buzzard August 06, 09:01PM

My son will be starting at a new school in September- they have a two-week half term in October, 3 weeks at Easter and finish for the summer in early July (then Iím planning to go on holiday). Plus the Feb and May half terms and 3 weeks at Christmas.

Posted by malumbu August 06, 11:15PM

What a right on thread this is. When I moved to the area Lordship Lane was more like Poorship Lane. Since the area has become so gentrified and competition for places in state school I though you no longer had to pay for private education. Mind you Boris will bring back the Grammar Schools. Isn't this more of a discussion for mumsnet (that is not a gender specific comment I hasten to add.)

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum