Forum Sponsors

www.inshutters.co.uk

www.no-flies.co.uk

All Round Renovation

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
messagePeckham Rye Station
Posted by Girl82 23 July, 2013 14:46

It was exciting to hear about the plans to redevelop Peckham Rye Station a while ago. However, now it seems like everything has gone quiet, and I can't find any information on what the latest news is. Does anyone have an update? Last I heard the council were talking to the 60 (can't believe there's that many!) businesses in front of the station to discuss renegotiating their leases and moving them elsewhere.

I just hope this project goes ahead, it would be a great shame if not.

messageRe: Peckham Rye Station
Posted by zeban 23 July, 2013 14:54

What's wrong with the station as it is?

Posted by Girl82 23 July, 2013 14:58

zeban Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's wrong with the station as it is?

It smells bad, and there's always a lot of rubbish littering the street - food, clumps of hair from the hairdressers etc. Plus the station building is practically hidden from view by the ugly building built in front of it. Peckham Vision's plans to open up that square again sound great.

Posted by zeban 23 July, 2013 15:34

In your opinion of course. Isn't the answer to littering to employ more rubbish collectors, wouldn't that be a simpler and cheaper solution? I agree the station is hidden but who cares. You go there once and then hey presto, you know where to go the second time!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2013:07:23:15:39:48 by zeban.

Posted by StraferJack 23 July, 2013 15:44

zeban

Have you seen threads on this subject in the past? The front and area of that station is/was pretty stunning

The dark alleys created by the shops out front are horrible and them being smelly isn't an opionion

The businesses themselves don't offer anything different to the 20 bazillion other shops along Rye Lane

I like Rye Lane and go there often, but to suggest there isn nothing wrong with the station and things couldn't be improved is a bit harsh

Posted by LondonMix 23 July, 2013 15:49

Also, I care a lot what the building I use / go by look like. The built environment has been shown to have an impact on people psychologically. There is a beautiful historic building hiding there and its great that the funds have been put together for its renovation. Peckham has some great architecture and it should be celebrated.

Posted by zeban 23 July, 2013 16:01

Ahhh I see, renovation. Sorry I didn't realise. Thought it was more about gentrification. Definitely yes to renovation.

Posted by Jeremy 23 July, 2013 16:24

I don't think Rye Lane is ripe for gentrification any time soon. It's very hard to see it happening, and that's fine. But as SJ says, the area in front of the station is horrible. It would be great to see the building returned to its former glory, and the space around it opened up a bit.

Posted by edhistory 23 July, 2013 16:32

I don't think any of you have actually looked at the building in front of the station.

John K

Posted by Girl82 23 July, 2013 16:39

LondonMix Wrote:
> Also, I care a lot what the building I use / go by
> look like. The built environment has been shown
> to have an impact on people psychologically.
> There is a beautiful historic building hiding
> there and its great that the funds have been put
> together for its renovation. Peckham has some
> great architecture and it should be celebrated.

Exactly - I don't see how anyone could not want that to be honest!

So does anyone have an update on where this project is at ?

Posted by Girl82 23 July, 2013 16:41

zeban Wrote:
> In your opinion of course. Isn't the answer to
> littering to employ more rubbish collectors,
> wouldn't that be a simpler and cheaper solution? I
> agree the station is hidden but who cares. You go
> there once and then hey presto, you know where to
> go the second time!

I wouldn't say the statement that it smells unpleasant or that there's an unusually high amount of litter is an opinion. I'd say it's a fact!

Posted by StraferJack 23 July, 2013 16:42

John K

What are we missing?

[www.google.co.uk]

Posted by zeban 23 July, 2013 17:00

I'd never really noticed to be honest but haven't been in London for 8 months so maybe things have got worse? though I grew up in Dalston so maybe I'm immune to bad smells and rubbish on the streets!

Posted by edhistory 23 July, 2013 17:09

> What are we missing?

An attractive inter-war retail facade.

Go take a closer look?

John K

Posted by david_carnell 24 July, 2013 22:36

Are you suggesting the false arcade in front of the station matches the building opposite? Therefore we shouldn't knock it down?

Your endless riddles and half-clues "I know more than you" act grows rather wearisome.

Posted by edhistory 24 July, 2013 22:43

I don't know what a "false arcade" is.

Give me a clue?

I am not suggesting, but stating, that the building in front of the station has an attractive inter-war retail facade.

John K

Posted by Ted Max 25 July, 2013 09:39

I like a bit of 1930s - like many. If you ignore the tatty state of this building and redressed the Lloyds frontage, put back the windows that I assume were originally there, and removed the blue porch, it could easily fit along some Metroland station approach in north west London.

And maybe that's where it should be. Perhaps, and rather unfortunately, what we have is a decent enough (no more than that) building in the wrong place.

Does that make it worth saving versus the Peckham Vision plan for the Plaza/Gateway?

That really depends how far back we want to go to get to where we want to be (and also on where we want to be).

http://i39.tinypic.com/rixhxe.jpg

(PS This above is a comment about the buildings, not the livelihoods/businesses of those inside, btw. )

Posted by JohnL 25 July, 2013 10:28

Well there's a 7 floor block of flats being built opposite Co-op house
Maple house (L&Q opposite Peckham Rye)

All these are shared ownership - but will attract the sort who wants gentrification
if just for a property profit.

Jeremy Wrote:
> I don't think Rye Lane is ripe for gentrification
> any time soon. It's very hard to see it happening,
> and that's fine. But as SJ says, the area in front
> of the station is horrible. It would be great to
> see the building returned to its former glory, and
> the space around it opened up a bit.

Posted by JohnL 25 July, 2013 10:32

Not to me

But I can't appreciate anything 30s (nor could my mum - Spivs and Gangsters she used to say) .

edhistory Wrote:
> I don't know what a "false arcade" is.
>
> Give me a clue?
>
> I am not suggesting, but stating, that the
> building in front of the station has an attractive
> inter-war retail facade.
>
> John K

Posted by edhistory 28 July, 2013 17:37

Station Arcade is an awkward building.

The English Heritage report does make slight mention:

[research.english-heritage.org.uk]

Granville Arcade, Market Row, and Reliance Arcade (Brixton) are listed buildings.

John K

Posted by The Minkey 28 July, 2013 23:59

The Brixton arcades are each on a much larger scale and don't squat in what used to be the forecourt of a Grade 2 listed building with the potential for renovation into a much more attractive space.

Posted by edhistory 29 July, 2013 01:41

I note the "bigger is better" suggested criterion for why the Brixton arcades have been listed and why Station Arcade has not been lisited.

Unless there is a simliar building elsewhere then Station Arcade is the sole survivor of its type.

The railway station received its listing on 31 January 2008.

"Squat" is an interesting verb to use.

I know that there is an argument for the destruction of our architectural heritage when it is inconvenient and in the way, even if it is a unique building.

John K

Posted by david_carnell 29 July, 2013 09:41

Isn't the building across the road of an identical nature?

I note you've yet to suggest an alternative to plans that have met, elsewhere, with near universal approval, JohnK. Perhaps you'd like to take this opportunity to do so?

In other news, a new cycle hub has appeared next door to the station in some of the refurbished area - something that will no doubt be welcomed by those who cycle from further afield to catch the train.

Posted by jimmyraj 29 July, 2013 22:13

I suppose the argument here - regardless of whether some think the arcade has architectural merit - is that the station, as is, is completely blocked by it and therefore it's also impossible to appreciate what is a glorious building (and one that even the harshest critics must surely agree ranks above that of the shopping arcade). It's also about opening it up and making it less of a grim journey to get to. As anyone who commutes from Peckham Rye will testify, the walkways through the station - whilst not unsafe - are not the most pleasant way to get to the place.

The idea of creating more public spaces around the station is also something which, personally, I would welcome. As others have said elsewhere, and as the Peckham Vision crew seem to recognise, it would be nice if this could be done organically to ensure that the existing businesses have the opportunity of remaining there - rather than it becoming full of chain coffee shops etc.

Be good if they could think about creating some extra entrances to the stations - maybe via the piazza they are going to create at the back. This could go someway to alleviating the somewhat dangerous congestion on the stairs in the station - particularly on platform 4.

Posted by Jeremy 29 July, 2013 22:30

jimmyraj Wrote:
> a glorious building (and one
> that even the harshest critics must surely agree
> ranks above that of the shopping arcade).

You'd think...

Posted by edhistory 30 July, 2013 19:38

The c1949 building at 117-125 Rye Lane is not a shopping arcade.

I am aware that a number of people would like to see Station Arcade destroyed.

I also understand why someone's personal taste should prefer an imitation continental style to Englishe vernacular.

John K

Posted by jimmyraj 30 July, 2013 20:03

edhistory Wrote:
> The c1949 building at 117-125 Rye Lane is not a
> shopping arcade.
>
> I am aware that a number of people would like to
> see Station Arcade destroyed.
>
> I also understand why someone's personal taste
> should prefer an imitation continental style to
> Englishe vernacular.
>
> John K

I'm not disputing the fact that the arcade (shopping, station, or otherwise) has merit and appeal, but its effect in being placed in front of another station and thus meaning only access is through dark, dank and unpleasant alleyways, is a negative one. If it was a building on its own I would argue it should be protected. But it's not. Opening up the front of the station would surely be in the public good. In my opinion anyway...

Posted by StraferJack 30 July, 2013 20:24

What jimmy said

I don't think the current facade is especially good, but it could be worth saving in another context

Given the potential choices I'm all for opening up that part of rye lane, permitting a pleasing and different aspect. It would (IMO) give rye lane new lungs and a focal point

The current facade, however worthy, isn't even noticed by... At a guess, at least 95% of people. It fails in its job to please the eye if the eye isn't even aware of it

Posted by spider69 30 July, 2013 20:26

The whole lot needs to come down the or area will always wallow in the mess and filth that is now there.

Lets hope they dont find a rare newt or nesting bats.

Open it all up from Rye Lane to Bellenden Road. This will go on forever

Posted by StraferJack 30 July, 2013 20:31

NOT what spider69 said

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum