EDF Football Predictor ...

red devil

Hello Predictors.

As last season's inaugural game was such a roaring success, I thought this season it merited it's own thread, so as not to hijack the main footy thread.

With just over 3 weeks to go before the big kick-off, the first thing to do is get an idea of the number of players and then decide what game format the League should take.

Unless I hear otherwise, I will assume that all of last year's participants will join in again. So I just need to hear from any newbies out there.

As for the format, I personally quite like the simplicity of the Lawro game which we used last season, but I haven't yet found an online game version.

EP, did you find any time to look at developing an app?

There are a few other online versions, but the scoring systems are a lot more complicated...

http://www.predictfootballscore.com/

http://www.predictthepremiership.com/

http://predictor.talksport.co.uk/help/index.htm

Thoughts/comments/feedback appreciated...

• 2 weeks later...

The 4 games I've given links to have all got the facility for a private mini-league, but apart from the 'predictaddict' game, the scoring system in each one is different from the Lawro system we were using.

I haven't totally ruled out using last years DIY set-up. I'll have a proper look at all the options this weekend and make a decision.

I agree about using forum names. I did that with the Telegraph's fantasy horse racing game, although it's a bit disconcerting getting an email addressed as Dear Mr Devil...

Wouldn't it be so much simpler RD to use one of the above than having to do it yourself? Unless you think it would put people off entering! You wouldn't want to lose Mr.Lush for example but he is getting on a bit and might find all that malarkey a bit too much.

It would Meds, but I'm worried about people losing interest should they miss a week or two due to illness, holiday or simply forgetting. Out of 13 players only 4 had a 100% record, 3 out of the final top 4. That's why we had the maxxi, to keep people interested....

Alan Medic Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Wouldn't it be so much simpler RD to use one of

> the above than having to do it yourself? Unless

> you think it would put people off entering! You

> wouldn't want to lose Mr.Lush for example but he

> is getting on a bit and might find all that

> malarkey a bit too much.

Bloody cheek! How very dare you! I bet you're no spring chicken either Mr Medic. Though I have to admit you're absolutely right. I am a bit of a Luddite so the system we used last season would suit me perfectly.

Edited because "I'm getting on a bit."

Ok, decision made, we're going ahead with this online game... http://www.predictaddict.co.uk/Default.aspx

It was simple to join and set up, with points based on the Lawro scoring system. A shame there won't be a maxxi or the weekly coupon buster, but let's see how it develops.

You will need to register. As someone has already mentioned, make sure you use your EDF name, or else we won't know who you are. It will ask you for your owner name (I put down Red Devil 2...someone already called Red Devil). It will also ask you for your first name and surname, again I used Red (first) and Devil (surname)...this has worked ok.

It will also ask for an email address and password, neither of which are made public.

Those of you with one EDF name will have to be creative. Using Parkdrive as an example...put Parkdrive as the owner name, Park as the first name, and Drive as the surname.

For those of you with short single names like Otta, ????, maxxi etc, I would use that as your owner name and first name, and use anything you deem suitable for your surname.

I've created a mini league which has the pin number 43795. See you in there!...

sorry i never managed the onine app, I literally never had even five minutes to sit down and do it (i reckon it would have taken a day or two).

Joining up as we speak anyhow....

....done

weirdly you add a username and a nick name and it still uses your first & last names to identify yopu in the mini league. have now changed them to el and pibe respectively!!!

Forgot to mention, there is an email reminder alert you can set up, so no excuse for missing a week, unless you've got the scurvy. I will also try and post a reminder in this thread...if I remember.

I'm happy to carry on organising the Champions League and FA Cup games as before, although I might look at changing the format of the CL to take in the first group stages, watch this space...

El Pibe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> sorry i never managed the onine app, I literally

> never had even five minutes to sit down and do it

> (i reckon it would have taken a day or two).

> Joining up as we speak anyhow....

No probs, you could always try doing it when you get some free time, for future use.

> weirdly you add a username and a nick name and it

> still uses your first & last names to identify

> yopu in the mini league. have now changed them to

> el and pibe respectively!!!

That's good to know, I wasn't sure whether there was an edit function...