the uplands tavern

dennyboy

i met my wife in the uplands tavern in the late 60s,the pub was owned by johny minns and every saturday they had a group playing called "THE OUTRAGE",does anyone remember any of these times,the group also played at our wedding in 1971,some of the names in the pub were,dennis collier(me), ray cecil, johny carrol, jimmy smith john friar,the lead singer of the group was colin who worked at h samuel the jewelers in peckham high street.

• 1 year later...

dennyboy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> i met my wife in the uplands tavern in the late

> 60s,the pub was owned by johny minns and every

> saturday they had a group playing called "THE

> OUTRAGE",does anyone remember any of these

> times,the group also played at our wedding in

> 1971,some of the names in the pub were,dennis

> collier(me), ray cecil, johny carrol, jimmy smith

> john friar,the lead singer of the group was colin

> who worked at h samuel the jewelers in peckham

> high street.

I remember the Uplands in The 70's. Yes, owned by Johnny Minns, (most decorated Britsh Soldier in WWII) who didn't give a hoot about anything and carried a sword stick at all times. The DJ at that time was his nephew, Bobby. Manager was Chris Somethingorother, buggered off to Australia years ago. There was another John FRYARS but he came along a little later, I think. Did Jimmy Smith marry one of the Ryan sisters? Jackie maybe?

• 3 months later...

He works in a care home Beckenham way

-----------------------------------------------

Jah Lush Wrote:

> Whatever happened to Pete Bashford, anyone know? I

> know he was the regular DJ in the Palmie as well a

> little later too but he just seemed to have

> disappeared overnight about 20 years ago and not

> seen him since.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
Chris Smith was his name . Long hair - pally with Pete Bashford ( as was I at the time). I worked in there from 1973-1976 before going off to university. ( actually lived upstairs in the pub). Used to work behind the bar and also did the disco 2 times a week ( rock and roll and 60's night). Remember the Sullivans and Terry Naylor .Also very fond memories of an excellent and honest bar staff to work with - eg Dave Bulloch, Dave West, Micky Brooks, Barbara Nicholson etc.Good times and fond memories.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm Chris Smith and I used to be the manager of The Uplands circa '73-'76.

I did go to Australia and have recently returned and now living in Windsor. The hair in long... gone! But I'm still standing and would love to hear from anyone who was around at that time. Perhaps even meet up in the Actress for a beer.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jockyboy, I hope that you are well.

Not sure that I ever had long hair but it was a thrill to find your message. I was looking for Pete Bashford, it sounds like he's not in a good place but would still like to get in touch. I'm also keen to catch up with anyone from that era, one of my favourite times

I was listening to Huey on radio 6 and he played a track from Abandoned Luncheonette. One of my all time favourites and if memory serves me well it was you that introduced me to the album. I also remember you telling me that if I didn't go to Aus I would regret it. Can't know for sure if that would have been true but I've done it, I'm back, and I have no regrets.

I would like to catch up if you're interested

christo Wrote:

> Hi Sue!

> I'm wondering which Sue that might be?

> Yours has been the only response so far, must say

> I'm a bit disappointed, but then it has been a

> long time.

Sorry but I've only been here nearly twenty years. After your time. I knew the Uplands, though :)

• 5 months later...