commonwealth games

maxxi

Twitter comment:

The Olympics gets Danny Boyle

The commonwealth games gets Susan Boyle.

Personally I watched about five minutes - which happened to include Subo forgetting the first line of Mull of Kintyre.

I didn't see the opening ceremony, doesn't sound like I missed much anyway, but the events that I have tuned into have all been exciting. Can't believe no one on here is talking about them, is no one watching the games? I even found the Lawn Bowls a buzz! Well done to Glasgow and to all those competing.

I like the way they're mixing in para events with the regular ones, rather than splitting it out into separate competitions.

I also like the way there are events in there which aren't in the olympics, yet are relevant to the commonwealth and Britain. e.g. rugby and bowls. Makes me wonder what else they could include. Snooker? Cricket? Darts?

Laura Weightman's silver win in the 1500m run and the men's swimming relay gold, beating Australia for the first time in 64yrs, were thrilling to watch last night. England is second on the medals table, only 7 away from the Aussies.....

Squash was amazing. Women and men. 5 games in the men's, 1 hour 40 mins. That's hard graft on what looks like a small court. You won't see tennis pros sweating like that...

miga Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Great to see a bit of squash on the telly. Another

> topic, but considering the daft things that are

> included in the Summer Olympics (e.g. umpteen

> types of yachting), I've always wondered why rugby

> union or squash can't be included.

When will this sports hell ever end (shrieks)?

I almost died of boredom during the damn Olympics, then we had the Paralympics yawn fest, next we had the World Cup snoozeathon and now The Commonwealth Games from hell - my eyes are bleeding?

Give me strength (shakes fist at sky)...

I have only been able to keep down dry toast since the Tour de Newcastle.

Why would grown men dress like that?

Bradley Wiggins should be arrested, or hospitalised. He is clearly in possession of a massive herniation, or a growth, or he has trapped a young cockapoo down the front of his Lycra... My eyes are still bleeding.

What has happened to terrestrial TV? I would love a little Ray Winstone, a smattering of Sean Bean. These occasional news bulletins with Huw Edwards, they are simply not enough. I am already bored by the stock of Jigsaw in the village, there are far too many eateries dans the village. What is a girl to do in Dulwich?

You are so right Louisa, I would NEVER walk my own damn dogs. I see it as my duty to keep this economy moving and provide employment for others whenever possible. I don't even do my own shop on Ocado sweetie!

For sport, we should have stocks constructed on Goose Green along with various other contraptions for dishing out random punishments around Dulwich. Sir Bradley (don't remind me Muley, it is mortifying that this clown has a title) would be first on my list for the rotten tomatoes, straight after he has a thorough dunking on the ducking stool.

Intimate waxing and cycling shorts with a built in bum cushion? Give me strength. What happened to good old bicycle clips - that is all the kit he should need. He should wear a normal shaped helmet, great billowing shorts and cycle a conventional bicycle.

Talk about The Emperor's New Clothes! He is a cyclist for Gods sake, you would imagine from his toggs that he was about to pilot a space rocket. From the way that man dresses to cycle a bike, God only knows how he would adorn himself to drive a damn bus (laughs socks off).

dulwichmum Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Talk about The Emperor's New Clothes!

Indeed DM! http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/16/pictures-world-naked-bike-ride-2014-london-4763325/

I imagine you would look very fetching in nothing but your Emma Hope mules and a smile. And perhaps a basket too, for that quintessential Miss Marple look when gaddying about Le Village...