Crown and Greyhound (Dog)

toff

Apparently they're adding a boutique hotel and restoring the pub. It's supposed to be open again in 15 months. From the Court Lane side there has been building work going on for some time already, so I'm wondering if it's going to have an entrance there as well.

More details in the latest issue of The Dulwich Society's magazine:

http://www.dulwichsociety.com/2014-autumn/1057-villagers-notebook

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What's a village without a village pub?

or a Fish & Chip shop, Kebab Shop, Curry House , Chinese T/A.

That's why the Villagers descend on Lordship lane so often and help keep the prices out of the range

of many folk in East Dulwich.

DulwichFox

I don't really associate the things you've listed with a village, Foxy, but no argument with them if that's what it means to you.

The lack of pubs does seem odd given the importance the Estate and the Dulwich Society attach to the idea of it being a real village. My elderly neighbours say that in the past it had proper village shops, like a butcher and a greengrocer. Expect it had a local bobby, too. I wonder if there are any local 'resting' actors who would like to wander up and down in the village at weekends dressed as a policeman? Probably cheaper than the real thing.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't really associate the things you've listed

> with a village, Foxy, but no argument with them if

> that's what it means to you.

>

>

Not a lot of space for humour in your world is there. :)

On a serious note many Villages up and down the country have lost their pub.

A handful have been save by co-operatives buying their pub.

I don't think that could ever be the case for the Crown & Greyhound (Formerly two separate pubs I believe)

DulwichFox

Apparently they're keeping the pub as a pub rather than turning it into a fancy bar...just upgrading and adding a hotel to maximise full potential of what is a huge building. Just what I've heard though so I could be wrong...

I always thought it should be a small hotel, given its size and location

Count ourselves lucky that it's not a Youngs house, they'd fekk the place up for sure

That said, i'm keeping my fingers crossed that this lot don't tart the arse out of it

I liked the old smaller bar area, but I did eat a pretty shabby meal there a few weeks back. So no love lost for the restaurant bit

Early indications point to M&B getting first refusal to renew their existing lease. I can't say for sure /have no evidence of that but there is no reason why they couldn't do that. M&B also run small hotels through their innkeepers lodge brand:

http://www.innkeeperslodge.com/

I can't help look at those properties and think these are the kind of tinned tomato-with-the-fry up suburban belt places you wake up in after reluctantly attending a pals wedding in some home counties satellite town.

The village needs something nicer that fits the location and clientele and Hotel Du Vin would work nicely and whilst still being accessible to all. There has been nothing recently to suggest Hotel Du Vin are even still involved in discussions.

Either way, 2017 is a long time to not have any anchoring pub in the village - will we really have to wait two years?

• 8 months later...

has anybody got any updates on the re-development of the C&G ?

It seems to have been closed for ages (10 months from reading this old thread) and my Friday summer evening dog walks are just not the same

Slow progress I'm hearing...plasterers that were scheduled to be in back in November are only just starting work now. It was an old property with little maintenance done over the past half century so wouldn't surprise me if it overruns by 6 months or so....the village is not quite the same without it is it?

Originally it was due to reopen in December but from what I've heard it could now not be until next summer. And still nothing is happening with the Grove Tavern and Half Moon either. You're welcome to try speaking to Dulwich Estates about the latter two but you'll probably get nothing out of 'em.

It is a brilliant location and I hope they make the best of it

But I fear we'll get something 'south of vanilla'

Mind you, what's that pub called in West Dulwich near the wine merchants, near the railway bridge?

Now that is a shockingly DULL place, with absolutely zero atmosphere. It'd take some doing to top that

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• you know when you take your pro-cash stance too far? yeah....
    • Easter Bunny Bonus Week 29 fixtures...   Saturday 30th March Newcastle United v West Ham United AFC Bournemouth v Everton Chelsea v Burnley Nottingham Forest v Crystal Palace Sheffield United v Fulham Tottenham Hotspur v Luton Town Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Brentford v Manchester United   Sunday 31st March Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion Manchester City v Arsenal   Tuesday 2nd April Newcastle United v Everton Nottingham Forest v Fulham AFC Bournemouth v Crystal Palace Burnley v Wolverhampton Wanderers West Ham United v Tottenham Hotspur   Wednesday 3rd April Arsenal v Luton Town Brentford v Brighton & Hove Albion Manchester City v Aston Villa   Thursday 4th April Liverpool v Sheffield United Chelsea v Manchester United
    • A repetitive tried and tested cycle that seems to be slowing down in London thankfully. Brixton was the start. Councils consciously and purposely let an area decline until that area is next on the list for social and ethnic cleansing and ultimately gentrification. In come the first wave of arty/ creatives to squat and house share. A few coffee shops and cool but inexpensive cafe/ bars and art spaces open up. The crackheads, dealers and other assorted criminals who were once left to operate openly and brazenly to sell, shop lift, mug, beg, purchase,  publicly consume on decent folks doorsteps, stairwells,in bin sheds and without fear of the law begin to be targeted, rounded up and moved on. A few more jaunty and sustainable coffee shops/ bars appear . The Guardian and other facilitators in the media jump on the bandwagon, first claims of vibrancy are rolled out. Next step a few cool retro clothing shops pop up selling ' reclaimed Levi's for more than they originally cost and ten times the price of what the recently departed charity shop charged. Foxtons open a branch and the arty types and first wavers/ drivers have there first moan about there initially paltry rents going up. The guardian do a generic lets move to Brixton, Dalston, Hackney, Deptford, Walthamstow type double pager. Interview a graphic designer or two who have just bought a former crack den on the manor for next to peanuts. They will later bemoan the next wave who have more money than them. Cool, edgy and vibrant are now the buzzword bingo must use lingo. Few more coffee shops ( how original ) Pop up everything,. Organic and sour dough move in. The night time economy starts to thrive, more cool bars and eateries open. More squats and the last crack house that was once one of many are cleared out. Second wave is around the corner.   All of a sudden there's a visible police presence again and the streets are safe for fun seekers with plenty of disposable cash to chuck about on a dose of vibrancy with added coolness. By this stage even the locally brewed beer is organic. There's queues outside the newly arrived organic, sourdough, artisan and sustainable bakers. Instagram has Brixton trending. The greasy spoon of thirty year has gone cause the lease is up and the landlord has hiked the rents up by 60/70%. Followed by small family run independents that served the community  for decades and more.  The local characters, activists, eccentrics are getting less and less. There's a new show in town for a week or two and until the next brand arrives. Brewdog move in. Former job centres are converted into bars but peak edginess means it's still called the job centre. Followed by a couple more chain eateries. The resident DJ'S and music venues are replaced by another generic brand boasting guest chefs. The Guardian lifestyle section is now on it's fifth or sixth orgasm. Turn a few pages and hypocrisy is rampant with articles on the evils of gentrification, foxtons, capitalism, social cleansing and unaffordable housing. The middle classes continue to arrive in there droves to buy into the vibrancy and multiculturalism supposedly on offer. There isn't much multiculturalism going on at the packed latest place to eat, drink and fart. The multiculturalism on show comes in the form of bar staff, doorman and cheap as chips uber drivers and delivery workers. Rice and peas, jerk everything, red stripe at six quid a can from some hipster haunt that is currently flavour of the month and the place to be seen. The first wavers are now blaming the latest hedge funded brand that's pulled into town for driving gentrification and there soon to be hastened departure to be first wavers again somewhere else. Less cool but up and coming here we come. Covid has certainly helped/ been a factor in slowing down the process of gentrification. I also think it may be the driver for almost putting a stop to it. Remote working, less need to move to London to be near an office, less disposable cash, sky high rents, worthless degrees that relied on that disposable cash , different priorities, knife and gang crime and a large dose of much needed realism has put a huge spanner in the works for the shitty process and cycle that is/ was the gentrification and social cleansing of working class London. Manchester and Liverpool is next on the list for the planners. Thankfully.
    • Can you just queue up to withdraw cash or are other transactions like stamp purchasing required?  Do M&S do cash back?
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In