Crown and Greyhound (Dog)

toff

Apparently they're adding a boutique hotel and restoring the pub. It's supposed to be open again in 15 months. From the Court Lane side there has been building work going on for some time already, so I'm wondering if it's going to have an entrance there as well.

More details in the latest issue of The Dulwich Society's magazine:

http://www.dulwichsociety.com/2014-autumn/1057-villagers-notebook

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What's a village without a village pub?

or a Fish & Chip shop, Kebab Shop, Curry House , Chinese T/A.

That's why the Villagers descend on Lordship lane so often and help keep the prices out of the range

of many folk in East Dulwich.

DulwichFox

I don't really associate the things you've listed with a village, Foxy, but no argument with them if that's what it means to you.

The lack of pubs does seem odd given the importance the Estate and the Dulwich Society attach to the idea of it being a real village. My elderly neighbours say that in the past it had proper village shops, like a butcher and a greengrocer. Expect it had a local bobby, too. I wonder if there are any local 'resting' actors who would like to wander up and down in the village at weekends dressed as a policeman? Probably cheaper than the real thing.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't really associate the things you've listed

> with a village, Foxy, but no argument with them if

> that's what it means to you.

>

>

Not a lot of space for humour in your world is there. :)

On a serious note many Villages up and down the country have lost their pub.

A handful have been save by co-operatives buying their pub.

I don't think that could ever be the case for the Crown & Greyhound (Formerly two separate pubs I believe)

DulwichFox

Apparently they're keeping the pub as a pub rather than turning it into a fancy bar...just upgrading and adding a hotel to maximise full potential of what is a huge building. Just what I've heard though so I could be wrong...

I always thought it should be a small hotel, given its size and location

Count ourselves lucky that it's not a Youngs house, they'd fekk the place up for sure

That said, i'm keeping my fingers crossed that this lot don't tart the arse out of it

I liked the old smaller bar area, but I did eat a pretty shabby meal there a few weeks back. So no love lost for the restaurant bit

Early indications point to M&B getting first refusal to renew their existing lease. I can't say for sure /have no evidence of that but there is no reason why they couldn't do that. M&B also run small hotels through their innkeepers lodge brand:

http://www.innkeeperslodge.com/

I can't help look at those properties and think these are the kind of tinned tomato-with-the-fry up suburban belt places you wake up in after reluctantly attending a pals wedding in some home counties satellite town.

The village needs something nicer that fits the location and clientele and Hotel Du Vin would work nicely and whilst still being accessible to all. There has been nothing recently to suggest Hotel Du Vin are even still involved in discussions.

Either way, 2017 is a long time to not have any anchoring pub in the village - will we really have to wait two years?

• 8 months later...

has anybody got any updates on the re-development of the C&G ?

It seems to have been closed for ages (10 months from reading this old thread) and my Friday summer evening dog walks are just not the same

Slow progress I'm hearing...plasterers that were scheduled to be in back in November are only just starting work now. It was an old property with little maintenance done over the past half century so wouldn't surprise me if it overruns by 6 months or so....the village is not quite the same without it is it?

Originally it was due to reopen in December but from what I've heard it could now not be until next summer. And still nothing is happening with the Grove Tavern and Half Moon either. You're welcome to try speaking to Dulwich Estates about the latter two but you'll probably get nothing out of 'em.

It is a brilliant location and I hope they make the best of it

But I fear we'll get something 'south of vanilla'

Mind you, what's that pub called in West Dulwich near the wine merchants, near the railway bridge?

Now that is a shockingly DULL place, with absolutely zero atmosphere. It'd take some doing to top that