Forum Sponsors

www.mindovermatterboxing.co.uk
xxxx
http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 13 of 14
messageRe: Crown and Greyhound (Dog)
Posted by rahrahrah 16 January, 2018 14:14

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have they stopped doing proper fires? For me that
> was the big attraction as I'm not a pub-goer
> usually, but every time I've looked in this winter
> there has been no fire.

That is true, I noticed it too. Shame

Posted by Sue 16 January, 2018 14:24

The Ivy House has real fires!

Posted by Robert Poste's Child 16 January, 2018 15:10

I didn't know that, Sue. Is it the kind of place you can go and feel comfortable as a lone female?

Posted by EDOldie 16 January, 2018 15:24

Ivy House is a proper pub, very friendly and great beer.

Posted by Sue 16 January, 2018 19:15

> I didn't know that, Sue. Is it the kind of place
> you can go and feel comfortable as a lone female?

There are very few pubs I feel comfortable going into by myself, and The Ivy House is one of them.

On the other hand I am a community shareholder in the pub and run gigs there, so I do know people there, which makes a difference.

But it's very friendly, and there are quite often women in there by themselves. Depending on the time of day there are also usually quite a few dogs, and probably children, too.

If a fire is a must, you might want to phone them first, because I don't know whether they light them all the time, however there are three rooms (front bar, ballroom and refectory) and the last time I was in there there was a fire in at least two of the rooms and possibly the third, though I didn't notice the third.

In terms of friendliness, all I can say is, I came briefly out of our Singaround (which we hold in the ballroom) on Sunday night into the front bar, because somebody was about to sing a song which always upsets me and I didn't want to listen to it, and a table of complete strangers asked me to join them (not in any kind of way that I felt awkward about it).

ETA: If you like to hide away, the refectory has some little closed off sections, some quite near the fire.

But there are also corners in both the other rooms where you could sit without being too conspicuous. The ballroom (as its name suggests) is larger, but people do sit in there by themselves as well, but it's a bit lonely when the pub is quiet!

What I would say about The Ivy House is that it's used by a real cross-section of the community, and I think it has quite a different vibe from the East Dulwich pubs.

People are quite likely to smile at you when you come in, for example!

And it does have a good range of ales, craft beers, wines etc plus tea, coffee, all the usual stuff - and food, though the food isn't served all day every day.

You can check it out here:

[www.ivyhousenunhead.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was 2018:01:16:19:23:45 by Sue.

Posted by rahrahrah 17 January, 2018 11:12

The Ivy House is a great pub.

Posted by Robert Poste's Child 17 January, 2018 14:56

Thanks for that, Sue. When I've stopped coughing enough to get back on the bike I'll give it a try.

Posted by Sue 18 January, 2018 12:28

> Thanks for that, Sue. When I've stopped coughing
> enough to get back on the bike I'll give it a try.

Get well soon, RPC.

I've got some bug as well. Lots of nasty things going around at the moment I think sad smiley

Posted by Robert Poste's Child 18 January, 2018 13:07

Thanks, Sue, and you too. It's not helping my Thin January effort.

Posted by malumbu 18 January, 2018 18:22

I am a fan of the Ivy and have put my money into the place.

The Blythe is a better pub, has better and cheaper beer. Try it. I'd normally do a link to beer in the evening but see that Tripadvisor rates it just as high

[www.tripadvisor.co.uk]

Posted by Sue 18 January, 2018 22:16

malumbu Wrote:
> I am a fan of the Ivy and have put my money into
> the place.
>
> The Blythe is a better pub, has better and cheaper
> beer. Try it. I'd normally do a link to beer in
> the evening but see that Tripadvisor rates it just
> as high
>
> [www.tripadvisor.co.uk]
> 86338-d5122911-Reviews-Blythe_Hill_Tavern-London_E
> ngland.html

Just out of interest, how does the Blythe have "better and cheaper beer"? Than what? The Dog or The Ivy House?

The Dog, I hope you mean!!

Posted by DadOf4 08 June, 2018 11:52

revisited C&G last week - hadn't been in a year and had heard that its got much better

No, it hasn't
Understaffed
clueless staff
uncleared tables

Posted by TheCat 08 June, 2018 14:23

I find its a great pub with speedy service. But only on a Monday night, about 9pm.

Posted by malumbu 08 June, 2018 17:47

I love the Ivy but the Blythe does have better kept and cheaper ale. I expect most pubs have better and cheaper ale than the Dog (in the past probably not).

Posted by ed_pete January 27, 09:22PM

Informative twitter thread of recent experience at Crown and Greyhound...sounds like it still pretty dire.

[twitter.com]

Posted by JohnL January 28, 10:11AM

Ooh free pint at The Prince Regent though smiling smiley (only joking but they do look happier than the last time I visited).

I think it might be OK to start a new venture and having the energy and vibe - but it takes more than that to keep it going year in year out.

Posted by kiera January 28, 09:39PM

I looked up Malumbu's link to Tripadvisor recommendations for his favourite pub The Blythe Hill Tavern and wondered whether he'd been talking to any Lithuanians in there, only 'GabrieleSky' has written "It is unfortunate that this pub is not located in the city center, but on the other hand when you come here you find mainly locals which gives you a glimpse to a simple britons life after work."
[www.tripadvisor.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was january 28, 09:44pm by kiera.

Posted by malumbu January 28, 10:25PM

Blythe never runs out of beer like the Ivy. I'll leave it there as a little joke. Some of the criticism of the Ivy on this site was out of order. Not sure if the Dog runs out of beer or whether the staff are any good, I will have to pop in some day but can't be motivated to make a special visit.

Once reviewed a pub (fairly) and sent it to someone that I thought was the chair of a community group, that had invited me to the opening. To find that it was actually the manager (same first name as the gent who I had thought it was). He thanked me for my honesty. I'd been constructive. Thank heavens.

Posted by reds January 29, 04:44AM

I have to agree with malumbu on this.
The Ivy House is very good but The Blyth Hill Tavern is outstanding. One of the best pubs in London.
As for the Crown and Greyhound... nothing has changed. Should be great but appallingly managed.

Posted by JohnL January 29, 10:02AM

reds Wrote:

> As for the Crown and Greyhound... nothing has
> changed. Should be great but appallingly managed.

The Dog has become the Theresa May of pubs it seems - I haven't visited for a year.

Posted by NewWave January 29, 04:37PM

Such a sad state of affairs such a long closure with eagerly awaited reopening.
we loved that pub went back when it reopened encountered same as everyone else, terrible service, poor drinks choice, etc etc, you've heard it all here so I won't go into boring details.
decided to try it again a few months later after management assured that the problems were being addressed and staff retrained etc etc.
it was still terrible-no ice for a G&T (overpriced too) no lemon rude barstaff, chaotic service etc etc
the last time we went back was probably September on a sunday evening.
uncleared tables, a long wait for service, drinks had run out etc etc same old.
It isn't rocket science plenty of pubs are run perfectly well in much less attractive buildings, perfectly good food gets served out of small kitchens that have'nt had the benefit of expensive new equipment.
So why oh why can't the new owners able to get it right after all the disasterous reviews and broken promises of sorting things out.
I wonder if they want the place to fail so they can redevelop it as residential accommodation why else would this have continued to go downhill from day one?
All you need is a good manager to get on top of staff issues and ordering issues to make it improve.
this for some reason seems to have proved an impossible ask.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was january 29, 04:38pm by NewWave.

Posted by intexasatthe moment January 29, 05:20PM

I often have similar thoughts about the cafe in Dulwich Park .

Posted by Robert Poste's Child January 29, 07:25PM

Re the Dog, try the chips and all is forgiven.

Mind you, spent a couple of evenings with a friend there just having a bite to eat and a few glasses of wine, nothing special and not even a proper meal - no change from 100.

Posted by JohnL January 30, 10:11AM

Compared the Half Moon and The Crown & Greyhound on trip adviser yesterday.

How is there such a difference - shouldn't they be run on similar lines ?

Posted by JoeLeg January 30, 10:21AM

Half Moon - Fullers, which give the managers and chefs a lot of support and training. Plus the manager of the Half Moon is generally really good at his job

Crown - Mitchell and Butler, famous for giving staff very little support and generally treating them like crap.

Thats basically why one is much better then the other. Plus Fullers use much better suppliers and actually care about customer experiences, as opposed to M+B who only care about the bottom line.

Posted by Abe_froeman January 30, 01:21PM

I wondered if the issue with them finding good staff at the C and G is down to it being a bit out of the way compared to the many more convenient options for bar / pub workers in Herne Hill or East Dulwich. Are the other restaurants in Dulwich Village generally busy in the evenings?

Posted by DovertheRoad February 01, 12:23PM

JoeLeg Wrote:
> Half Moon - Fullers, which give the managers and
> chefs a lot of support and training. Plus the
> manager of the Half Moon is generally really good
> at his job
>
> Crown - Mitchell and Butler, famous for giving
> staff very little support and generally treating
> them like crap.
>
> Thats basically why one is much better then the
> other. Plus Fullers use much better suppliers and
> actually care about customer experiences, as
> opposed to M+B who only care about the bottom
> line.

Absolutely spot on.

Posted by DulwichFox February 05, 09:54AM

Paid my first visit to The Half Moon last night. 21.00 ish.
Very quiet . about 8-10 people in. Was a cold damp Monday evening.

Had a pint of Dark Star Hophead.
Bit pricey at 4.50 for 3.8% Ale but was well kept and served at the right temperature.

I had forgotten how Huge the place is. No open fire but place was warm due to large radiators
strategically placed oround the bar/s
Staff seemed pleasant enough and I got served as soon as I walked in.

I liked the overall feel of the place. Will pay another visit when more busy.
Perhaps try out the restaurant at the back. They stop selling food at 21.30 which is a little bit early ?

DulwichFox.

Posted by bob February 05, 12:33PM

What time is last orders.
Bob S

Posted by rendelharris February 05, 01:14PM

bob Wrote:
> What time is last orders.
> Bob S

11 in the week, 12 F&S, 10.30 Sun. Agree with Fox, beer well kept, good staff, nice atmosphere, wish it was a bit closer. Price highish but no different to what we've sadly become accustomed around here.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 13 of 14

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum