What to drink when not drinking?

Otta

Think I've done this thread before sometime long ago, but here we are again.

I'm off the booze for October for this MacMillan fund raising (up to ?225, feel free to chip in).

It's the weekend, what can I get that's a bit more interesting than water, squash or your usual suspects from the fizzy drinks range.

Last couple of nights I've poured myself a glass of Coke and have felt the need to scrub my teeth til my gums bled, you can feel them rotting away as you drink the stuff!

Otta this was the point of my alcohol-free beer thread a few months ago, when I was 'on holiday' from the sauce.

Some alcohol-free beers taste reasonable (OK, you have to get your head around the fact there's no hit from it) and definitely better than 4 pints of Coke.

Someone on my thread posted a link to a website where you can order a variety of lagers/bitter/wine.

ETA: it's www.alcoholfree.co.uk

If I wasn't drinking I'd have to at least have something that tastes like it. Alcohol free wine is grim but most of the beers eg Becks blue are drinkable.

It's a bit like eating quorn mince instead of mince. Mixed with a sauce, it looks & tastes the same so you can imagine that you are eating the real thing if that's what floats your boat (not mine though)

Hopefully alcohol free beer will work the same way.

If you have a really vivid imagination, you may even get a bit tiddly!

I want to avoid alcohol free beers.

Last time I had a month off (some time ago now) I basically had alcohol free beer all the time, often coupled with a cheeky smoke, in order to try and forget that I wasn't drinking.

This didn't exactly help to break the habit.

So I don't want anything that tastes like booze.

When I don't drink (which admittedly isn't particularly often) I have loads of energy in the evening and find it hard to sit still. I'll be up and down like a whore's drawers, pottering about and doing all the little things I can't be arsed to do when mildly sedated.

So I'd just forget the fizzy pop - and just get a load of stuff done.

Kudzu is good.

It does not make you feel ill if you do drink alcohol.

It takes away the desire to drink alcohol. You just take smaller sips and drinks last longer.

Available from Holland & Barrett.

Have used it in the past when I felt to the need to cut down. It does work.

DulwichFox

Have you tried doing the swap at a behavioural rather than substance level, so changing the order you do things in when you get home, or swapping TV for cooking a nice meal for your wife, or going for walk, or whatever you normally feel you don't have time for? I'm not a drinker but if I'm trying to lose weight going for a walk or swim in the evening does stop the snacking.

I'm not sure I understand the concept of making a sacrifice for charity........but that's me.

Anyway, my Mrs has been brewing this drink at home:

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-kombucha-tea-at-home-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-173858

So far two bottles have exploded while fermenting or whatever it's doing. It's supposed to be healthy and might be fun to try making it to keep yourself occupied.

Some people jump out of a plane "for charity". Bull shit, they want to jump out of a plane and doing it for a charity allows them to.

I'm hoping that people (friends) will appreciate how hard this will be for me and make a donation on recognition of that.

But that's me.

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Get some bitters - like angostura (but there are

> many others available) and add to soda water.

> Feels like a grown up drink rather than fizzy pop

> which always feels designed for 12 year olds.

This ^^^^^^^

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "Jus De Pommeraie" pear juice is good... very

> thick consistency, which prevents me from swigging

> it as quickly I would as a coke or OJ.

pear juice is my favourite, its like gold dust. can't get it for love nor money around these here parts. so envious jeremy.