Holidaying in Southern Germany?

newboots

Has anyone on the EDF done this and do you have any tips you care to share? The family and I really fancy a trip to S Germany this year, in the school summer holidays. We want to fly to Munich and spend a day or two there, and then I have a notion that we can find a lovely holiday house, near the lakes, not too busy/touristy but at the same time not totally isolated either. I'd quite like to be able to go as far as Salzburg on a day/2 day trip and see the Sound Of Music country too.

Is this possible? Is it a thing people do? I am not sure I have ever met anyone who has been to Germany for their summer holiday. I've never set foot in Germany myself, although I've been to loads of other places in Europe.

Did a little trip by train through Germany a couple of years back. We flew into Munich and stayed 4 nights. Nice city, lots of cultural stuff plus the Biergardens. We then went by rail to Dresden, and finished in Berlin which is just fantastic.

What lakes are you talking about? The Alps aren't far from Munich either. Gorgeous scenery.

There are loads of things you could do. Apart from Munich itself (not least a proper Bierkeller), you could do a day trip to Rothenburg, which is a gorgeous medieval town, and Neuschwanstein, the Disney-type castle built by the mad King Ludwig on the side of a mountain. Depending on the ages of your family you could also visit the remains of the Dachau concentration camp. Salzburg is definitely doable, and the lakes and mountains are lovely.

I'd strongly recommend that area for all the reasons RPC gives. Munich also has a lot of art if that's your thing. And if you drive, it's great pottering country.

Someone mentioned lakes. The shores of the Bodensee (or whatever it's called in English) are beautiful, though that's some way from Munich.

> The shores of the Bodensee (or whatever it's called in English)

Lake Constance. RyanAir used to fly to Friedrichshaven, on its shores, but sadly does no longer. Zeppelins were made in Friedrichshaven, and there is a quite good museum for them still there.

the bavarian alps are very nice- i would suggest looking at soemwhere like berchtesgaden as a base (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berchtesgaden)- 10 k from salzburg, but in the foothills of the moutains. a couple of hours on a direct zug from munchen

i would suggest aiming for koenigsee, attersee or bodensee if you are looking for lakes

there are several spa town on the region, such as bad reichenhall, which is quiet and full of people taking the waters, but interesting

berchtesgaden itself is a US army holiday town that was also the location of hitlers eagles nest, which can be accessed

the whole are is a national park and im sure if you can focus on this region, you will find what you are looking for

Very much agree with flocker. Dont know how old your children are but if under ten the freitzeitpark in Ruhpolding is one of the favourite places our children have ever been. its bizare but great fun and free with a tourist card. If going to that area Koenigsee is beautiful esp if you take the longer boat trip and walk away from a lot of the tourists. Very fresh milk and cheese on the mountain was loved by the kids. Ruhpolding generally also ideal for kids as set up for cycling tennis swimming and ice cream. We have done the last 2 summers there with kids (and skied there in the winter)/

We went last summer with our kids aged 7 and 5, took the night train from Paris, was great fun!

Mostly in Bavaria staying with German friends, briefly in Austria to gawk at the Alps.

It's not really touted as a typical holiday destination but it was fab! People friendly, polite etc. definitely recommend for a family holiday. Enjoy!

Claire

Bavaria is beautiful in summer.

Munich is always worth a trip, the lakes around it like the Starnberger See easy accessible and stunning.

I liked the Schliersee a lot.

Accommodation should be easy to find and much cheaper than UK.

googled this one for you ;-) http://www.ehard-hof.de/

And the food down there!!! Plenty and yummy!

And if you have kids above toddler age I would highly recomment a day! here:

Therme Erding

You should also compare prices for plane and car hire, Salzburg/Munich

It is only 2 hours drive and sometimes the prices are very different. Worth checking.

Anyway, it is a great destination and hugely underrated.