top ten films....

fiskaroo

Thats a nasty one to respond to right off the cuff...but I'll give it a go. In no particular order(and subject to many changes):

The Shawshank Redemption.

Bladerunner.

Withnail & I.

The Big Lebowski.

Wild at Heart.

Apocalypse Now.

Its a Wonderful Life.

Alien.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Naked.

Ten films, only ten! What are you some kind of teaser ? that?s not enough. Let?s go:

Casablanca

The Departed

Das Boot

Once Upon a Time in the West

The Shawshank Redemption

Destry Rides Again

The Maltese Falcon

Lawrence of Arabia

Bridge over the River Kwai

Pale Rider

But that's tonight's list. Tomorrow it'll be different. In my youth I was the "Film Officer" on various ships - we had access to films yet to be released and a vast library of films to choose from. I was like a kid in a sweet shop. Real reel to reel movies, to be able to handle a rolling reel change was to have achieved Zen master status as a projectionist.

I haven't listed a Gene Hackman film yet - The French Connection, Enemy of the State, The Conversation, Missippi Burning, or Clint Eastwood ? Play Misty for Me, Unforgiven, Pale Rider, Bird. More Bogart - The Big Sleep, Treasure of Sierra Madra, The Caine Mutiny, or Jack Lemon in The Apartment and Some Like it Hot, don?t forget the Ealing comedies, or more recent films such as American Gangster. Then there?s Micheal Caine ? some really good stuff amongst the dross ? Get Carter, Billion Dollar Brain and The Ipcress File, Alfie.

This is impossible ? I have to stop.

Nearly forgot - Ice Cold in Alex - was only discussing this with PGC at the Clockhouse Bookswap Shop this evening.

Chinatown

Charade

Casablanca

Taxi Driver

Fargo (anything Cohen Brothers)

Scarface

Rope (or anything Hitchcock, really)

Bladerunner

Cape Fear (the original)

Citizen Kane

You're right MM, this is just the list du jour!

*edited for gross spelling error

Candj - how could I have forgotten Chinatown, or The Usual Suspects, or LA Confidential. Then there are westerns - The Outlaw Josey Wales, High Noon, Shane, Stagecoach and The Searchers (to see two sides of John Wayne), The Shootist. Vertigo, Bladerunner, 2001 Space Odyssey, The Enemy Below (2nd best submarine movie), Crimson Tide (3rd best submarine movie), Hunt for the Red October (4th best etc). Mr Smith Goes to Washington, The Front Page

Bubblegum movies

Back to the Future

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

My Stepmother is an Alien

Ghost Busters

Indiana Jones series

Romancing the Stone

Missed all the foreign films - Battleship Potemkin, Jules et Jim, Babette's Feast, Jean de Florette & Manon des Sources and more.

I give up - when I die want to go to Movie Heaven - every film ever made is neatly filed and ready to watch.

Had to break down by genre. The first offering is WW II films:

Mrs Miniver

Went the Day Well

The Dambusters

Reach for the Sky

A Canterbury Tale

In Which We Serve

Carve Her Name with Pride

The Way to the Stars

The Colditz Story (for the immortal 'undertaker' line)

Ice Cold in Alex

---

Can't get it down to 10

A Matter of Life & Death

A Bridge Too Far

Bridge on the River Kwai

A Town Like Alice

And so many I had to miss out

Nice to see you post with such honesty, *Bob*. I share your family's pain.

This was compiled rather on the hoof, so would not be surprised to be potential alternatives in other lists:

The Tin Drum

American Beauty

Land and Freedom

Secrets and Lies

The Pianist

Cast Away

Blue Velvet

Pan's Labyrinth

Crash

Gladiator

I seem to be missing something with 'Crash'.

Coincidentally we started watching it for the first time just this week. About 40 minutes in (after a reasonably promising opening) we unanimously (and independently) decided is was disengaging, unconvincing and generally a bit rubbish. So much so that we turned it off.