Help - someone took ?1000 out of my account today

emc

hello - I noticed my debit card was missing from my purse (last time I used it was yesterday afternoon) so checked bank account - this afternoon someone went into a branch of HSBC in Clapham and withdrew ?600 in a 'real time transaction' then went to borough high street HSBC and withdrew another ?400. Just been on phone to HSBC fraud dept - they say they can't do anything as they only deal with online fraud so I have to call 'branch solutions' in the morning. Am so shocked and angry - cannot think how someone has had access to my purse and more so how you can withdrew money in branch with no other id (I guess they faked an id) and why I wasn't called/alerted to such high amounts. To be honest I'm usually over my overdraft limit at this point in the month but had just been paid for some freelance work so there was money there when normally they wouldn't have got anything . Has anyone else been through this? How do fraudsters do this? And I will get my money back won't I? Am absolutely gutted/fuming.

My mother in law had her card stolen on Sydenham high Street last week. I think someone spied her putting her PIN in, then snatched the card when it ejected (details hazy as she gets confused). It was reported immediately, and police were called and did a home visit to take a statement (which again was a bit hazy). What we have found is that HSBC have given mixed messages. My wife spoke to someone in China or somewhere and they insisted her parents would need to go to a branch (not really possible for them). I then called and spoke to a really helpful guy in an Indian call centre and he said that was a nonsense.

When you say they withdrew money in branch, do you mean with ATM or over the counter. Perhaps worth checking if any forms of ID are also missing, otherwise I'm not sure how they'd have withdrawn the money with just a card and no PIN.

Fraud department are investigating my mother in law's case, and we are hopeful they'll get their money back. Banks do have insurance for this sort of thing, but if they can find a reason not to pay up they obviously will, because they're bastards.

Yes that's what I thought too, and I'd be astounded if they handed over hundreds after just seeing a cash card. But I guess whoever took the card could be very well practiced at blagging. In a way ot would suit you if that is what happened because they'd have breached their own protocols.

Just spoke to the bank after being passed around the houses for over an hour - they say it was 'withdrawn' which they 'think' means an over the counter withdrawal but they're 'not sure' as they've 'never seen that wording before.' They then said it might be a cashier mistake - so two cashiers at two separate HSBC branches made the same 'mistake' within an hour of each other yesterday? And my card just happens to be missing - stupid. They also initially told me I had to go to the branch to sort - FFS. Am now waiting for someone from 'branch services' to call me back. No one seems to know what they're doing. Might just be using my ITV twitter account to send a message to HSBC by if I get no joy by lunchtime. Bloody ridiculous.

Just keeping putting the word "fraud" in all your written communication, and be sure you state the word directly with all your phone conversations. And keep reminding them that the clock is ticking, i.e. this happened over X hours ago, or X days ago.

HSBC made a mistake with an incoming overseas transaction to my account. After a couple of polite emails about the whereabouts of the incomings funds, I sent a couple of messages stating that I thought I was the victim of fraud, and that I was waiting over X numbers of days for them to make a satisfactory response. I got an immidiate reponse, my money, and a small payout for their cock-up.

Just keep pestering them. This is a criminal matter, and not your fault. They are insured, and if they don't investigate it properly, then they themselves become guilty of fraud. Indeed, until this is fully investigated, there's nothing to say that this wasn't an inside job coordinated by bank employees. So, a comprehensive and timely investigation of the matter is paramount, and it should include returning your funds for which the bank is insured. Good luck, and don't give up! xx

Salsaboy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Somebody who works for ITV perhaps?

>

> ratty Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > What's an ITV twitter account? Can't work out

> the

> > acronym.

Oh, I thought it was something special! Doh! :(

I went through this some years back.

You must report it to the Police and get a crime number.

You then take that crime number back to your bank and fill out relevant forms, cancel cards etc (if not already done).

The bank should then refund you with the stolen money with six weeks.

So.... They had this woman on cctv in both branches she went to and were happy to confirm it wasn't me . However all she did was pick up a cash withdrawal form in the bank - she didn't present any bank card, simply filled in my name (my maiden name, yet all my accounts are in my married name) my address, my sort code and account number and did apparently a v accurate signature to the one HSBC holds on file without any other forms of ID asked for. HSBC apparently don't require any other forms of ID in transactions up to ?1000. I don't buy this. When I've had to get large sums out for builders or whatever over the counter I could have sworn they've asked me for other ID. I just cannot believe she was just handed this sum of money without being asked for ID. Also the cashier at the second branch would of been able to see that just an hour before she'd withdrawn another large amount but apparently did not question this. I'm assuming that this woman got my bank details from my 'lost' debit card but she could not have 'learnt' my signature from it as the signature on my debit card is my married name. And how did she know my address? I'm glad I'm getting my money back but know HSBC has f***ed and aim to prove it. And yes, I will be moving banks.

There's never any continuity in banking circles/processes.

I am with Barclays and had to show another form of ID at my branch if I wanted to withdraw more than ?50, and this even though they knew me!!!

When I came to ED. the branch in L.L. allowed me to withdraw ?600 on one occasion without anything further than my debit card and tapping in my PIN, and this before they got to know me!!!

EMC - you are right. They do ask, and they won't allow you to do it with just a bank card.

They blocked a large withdrawal once unless a friend gave a reason (he was paying a builder).

But for small transactions you must show ID. This is from the 2012 T&C's...

I would imagine they are investigating some form of internal collusion hence denying it....

18.6. For withdrawals over the counter at

branches, you must provide an item of identification

acceptable to us, and the cheque book or

withdrawal book for the account (if you have been

issued with one). You cannot use your debit card

alone to make withdrawals over our counters

Thanks all. Esp for the terms and conditions bit - they haven't changed since 2012- so they have not followed their own processes. Have put all of this to them. And the fact that no-one has called me from their fraud team yet and I have no idea when my money will be returned. I have told them they have until tomorrow morning to answer my questions before I'll be contacting the HSBC press office/Daily Mail etc ....sometimes it's useful being a journalist!

Jeez - enough moaning - yes it was a bit inconvenient for you but they are giving you the money back - it is HSBC that has lost - not you! Turns out that ultimately they didn't hand out 'your' money but theirs.

HSBC didn't 'lose' your card either - you did. These things happen - there's lots of crooks out there - hopefully they won't bother you again, but if you let them get to your card it may happen again some time.

Count yourself lucky and be more careful with your card next time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sorry it happened to you - I just think blaming everyone else and moaning even after you get your money back, is a bit pointless.

p.s. change banks if you like, but good luck finding one any better.

Well that was an unnecessarily arsey post robbin. I would be livid if the bank gave out a load of MY money (No it wasn't their's, the victim has been without these funds for a number of days, that is a real pain) without requesting sufficient ID.

And I don't think I've particularly moaned - my mantra is usually 'it's only money' 'cos it is and it has been on this occasion too - I'd lose every bit of money I had over anything happening to someone I loved, money is not that much of a big deal to me. But people not doing their jobs properly infuriates me. And yes I'll get it back, mainly I think due to CCTV footage. The biggest shock to me has been how easy it was for this person to do this - whether I 'lost' my card or it was stolen HSBC failed to follow their own security measures. This could happen to anyone - what if it was to someone with less of a big gob than me/threats to go the media etc - would they have got their money back quite so easily? Possibly not.And I don't like that.