Time Out 'guide' to Lordship Lane

Louisa

http://www.timeout.com/london/blog/12-reasons-to-visit-lordship-lane-east-dulwich-se22-030416

Seems a shame they have decided not to reflect upon on the retail heritage of the area. Most of the businesses they pick are relatively recent. Some of the shops on LL, trading for decades, which should I would argue should deserve a mention, did not get one. But a chain cinema did? Hmm.

Louisa.

At least half the chosen businesses are 5+ years.

Stop being such a permanent force for negativity Louisa. Noone cared about ED 20 years ago and it's the new outlets that make it attractive. It's attractive to wider London and that's cool, so take it on board.

What's the cut off point for east dulwich authenticity...10 years, 20, more? At what point does someone stop being a 'blow in'? Must you have been born here?

The Easy D thing is awful and the only other place I've ever heard it is in a previous Time Out article. It's all a bit "stop trying to make fetch happen".

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> At least half the chosen businesses are 5+ years.

>

>

> Stop being such a permanent force for negativity

> Louisa. Noone cared about ED 20 years ago and it's

> the new outlets that make it attractive. It's

> attractive to wider London and that's cool, so

> take it on board.

No one cared about ED 20+ years ago? Oh apart from the people who lived there, had family there, worked there, raised kids there. Could afford to purchase a property there.

The new outlets that make it 'attractive' only came here because of the demographic change and rising house prices, they wouldn't have bothered otherwise. Businesses are not charities, they go where they can make money.

Louisa.

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I hadn't even heard of East Dulwich 20 years ago.

> What retail heritage?

Here's a bit of real East Dulwich Heritage..

.. Nico Ladenis is a self-taught chef, and did not attend any culinary schools.

.. Whilst working at his restaurant Chez Nico in Dulwich, London in 1976 or 1977 he met fellow chef Michel Roux at a party, who arranged for him to work for a week at the three Michelin star Moulin de Mougins under Roger Verg?

That was 40 years ago..

Oh there was also a Walworths and a REAL Cinema..

Foxy

I remember coming to ED 20 years ago - a mate lived in a student house round here. It was fine, and had the basic ameneties you'd need, but honestly... it was basically the cheapest place within striking distance of central London, that wasn't a complete crap-hole.

ED had all the usual butchers bakers and candle stick makers 30/40 years ago. And as others have said, they suited the people living here then. It tends to only be the snobs and blow in's who claim the area was crap before they arrived, just because it suits their own ends. Some of the best businesses are survivors from those times, a few of the curry houses and certainly A J Farmers. Not a single mention for any of them in this article.

Louisa.

I love A J Farmers, but if I was to name the 12 reasons to visit LL for a magazine, it wouldn't make the cut. Nor would any of the curry houses. The Cheese Block and Franklins, both been around for a couple of decades, made the cut and quite rightly.

I thought it was a decent article, the inclusion of "Give and Take" and the vomit-inducing use of "Easy D" notwithstanding.

Sometimes, Louisa, I think you're only ever happy when you're miserable.

Louisa - it's not a "guide" to Lordship Lane, it's "reasons to visit"

When I say no one was interested I mean people from other areas - I think that is true. LL now attracts external visitors as the article points out.

No-one is saying it wasn't functional 20 years ago, that's exactly the way I'd describe it when I moved here 16 years ago - but there probably were not a lot of reasons to visit it, whereas now there are.

I think its good to have timeout highlighting the better offerings. Should we be proud that they are on our doorstep?

Time Out's annual "Best Place In London To Buy Inexpensive Plastic Food Storage Containers And Disposable Picnic Cutlery" round-up is legendary, Jeremy.

I also enjoy the Guardian feature - "Let's Move To XXXXX And Buy Inexpensive Plastic Food Storage Containers And Disposable Picnic Cutlery"

I promise I'm not being negative, it's more disappointment. I understand what Time Out is all about, and tbh it doesn't even do that very well anymore (bit washed up some would argue). The offerings you allude to Mick Mac are hardly worthy of a whole article. One persons posh grub served on a pine cone is another persons 'plastic food storage container', as *Bob* so eloquently puts it.

Maybe I'm wrong on this one, but I just think some long standing businesses deserve a break, after all - they're survivors! They have survived rent increases demographic changes and rising and falling fashion trends. I mean FFS one of the businesses mentioned in this article closed down last year! You couldn't make this crap up!

Louisa.