Recommendations for a digital piano

srisky

As much as I love the idea of an acoustic piano, I am in the market for a digital - can anyone recommend a good quality make and shop? Budget of less than ?500 (would prefer <?300 if there isn't a significant difference in quality).

Thanks

For under ?500 you'll get the entry level Korg/Roland/etc digital piano. It will be a full-size 76 note job with weighted keys, but you'll either need to put it on a tabletop or pay an extra ?50-?100 for a stand.

For a proper all-in one thing that looks vaguely like a piano you'll either need to save up a couple of hundred extra, or go second hand.

Is there any reason why you don't want the old fashioned kind? Space? Cost of tuning?

I don't have a lot of experience of digital pianos, so may be completely wrong, but the few I have played just did not have the response of a "proper" piano in terms of sensitivity.

Maybe they have improved or I was just unlucky.

Are a number of digitals feeling pretty close to the real acoustic thing these days. I say this as a lapsed diploma level player who learnt on an acoustic but now uses a digital. Try out a kawai ca 67 or 97 if u get the chancecalthough they're expensive new but will give u an idea of what's possible these days. A decent digital will probably be better than the equivalent second hand acoustic and cheaper to maintain - tuning etc. These kawais have full sized wooden keys for example and are really responsive. Having said that its a really personal thing. Whatever you do go and play lots of different ones and pick the one that suits you!

Thank you all for your replies - I will investigate your suggestions and recommendations. I used to play and would like to learn again after 18y of not playing, so probably not as discerning as you, hpsaucey! Also would like my kids to learn.

Sue - the pros for me of digital are that they are now so similar to the acoustics (in sound, touch, pressure sensitive keys and even come with pedals), you can reduce the volume/play with headphones, never need tuning, easier to move, not sensitive to temperature changes/humidity. If you are more creative than me, you can connect to a computer and do all sorts of fancy things that are beyond my (current) knowledge!

Srisky. It had been over 20 years for me lol. I wasn't sure whether the sound or feel would be more important to me until I tried some out. It was pretty clear for me personally it had to feel and respond like an acoustic. Others might not be so bothered and prioritise sound. Horses for courses. Would love to know what u go for if you have time to post.

Yamaha are great and my piano teacher says there is nothing better other than a real piano. I have a white p-105 and it cost about 400 but that was 3 years ago so you can prob get cheaper now or a newer model but I'm still really happy with it and the weight of the keys. It sounds even better since I moved into house with high ceilings!

They're like any other musical instrument - there's no 'this one and not that one' - it's a matter of preference. Get down a shop that has a load of different ones and spend an hour playing them all. They all feel different. See what you like.

Yamaha, Roland and Kawai all make some great keybeds.

Can't advise on a specific standalone one though.. I have software piano instruments that run off a computer.. and a real joanna.