EDF Straw Poll on EU Referendum

Alan Medic

Out.

(Btw, I've felt this way since way before the referendum issue came up & the ghastly term Brexit was coined.)

I'm pretty certain the majority will vote to stay though.

Have stayed out of all the social media comments on this subject as people tend to label you as Tory/racist/other unpleasant thing I'm not and I can't be bothered explaining to those who don't know me and make wild assumptions anyway.

numbers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Have stayed out of all the social media comments

> on this subject as people tend to label you as

> Tory/racist/other unpleasant thing I'm not and I

> can't be bothered explaining to those who don't

> know me and make wild assumptions anyway.

Yeah... the superior, sanctimonious attitude amongst some of the remainers is almost enough to make me vote leave.

I know what you mean Jeremy it's very much reminding me of the Scottish independence referendum and the deeply unpleasant behaviour of the 'cyber-nats', their venom directed towards those not hell bent on 'independence' at any cost.

That said, I will happily listen and respect others' views, whatever side of the fence they are on (of the EU ref).

In. I understand why people want to leave - and frankly if circumstances were different I probably would vote out too - but there will be serious economic consequences in the short to medium term. The "bremain" campaign (equally loathesome term) has failed to coherently explain why it's going to be a problem, and I can't work out if it's because the pollies don't really understand EU financial regulation or if they are underestimating the intelligence of those thinking about voting out.

It won't just be a matter of having to renegotiate trade treaties (which will be a practical issue anyway considering there is no longer any expertise left in the UK in this field, and we are likely to have to, ironically, import negotiating talent from Brussels). Several significant EU regulations enshrine a requirement for any third countries to have equivalent legislation, and even major economic powers like the US who have even more stringent financial regulation have had to wait years for equivalence decisions. Without those decisions, trades in certain markets - including one market worth several trillion globally - will be seriously stymied.

On top of that, financial markets are notorious for being twitchy about uncertainty. The 2008 economic crisis wasn't caused by a real problem - it was market players freaking out because they didn't immediately understand where the risk of US mortgage defaults had hit so they stopped lending to each other and killed credit. If we had such disastrous results from something that would have been unearthed in time, what on earth do people think multiple years of uncertainty about market and legal structure will do?

Yes, we probably shouldn't be so dependent on financial services. But we are, and it is not propoganda that this will have a massive adverse impact that is going to hit all of us hard.

Edited to fix incoherence. Probably failed anyway...

Yuck, I'd not heard "bremain" before. I'd like to punch whoever came up with "brexit".

In. Because despite it's faults (which are plentiful) I think we're safer in. And things like workers rights get protection.

Alan Medic Wrote:

> You don't have to explain why you will vote one

> way or another. There's another thread for that.

Blimey Al, you're a ball of laughs today

I'm voting to:

(a) scrap Trident, so that we can

(b) fit a load of otherwise surplus submarine engines to Great Britain, so that we can

© take the entire island on a cruise to somewhere more interesting. Possibly the Carribean. (Ireland probably needs to move out of the way.)

#Brexodus

You didn't put that option in the poll, so I've clicked on 'in' for the time being.

Seabag Wrote:

> IN

>

> On a purely superficial note, the OUT campaign is

> full of ugly people

Most of the 'In' crowd are hardly gonna set hearts racing in a naked charity calendar tbf.

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

> Seabag Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > IN

> >

> > On a purely superficial note, the OUT campaign

> is

> > full of ugly people

>

>

> Most of the 'In' crowd are hardly gonna set hearts

> racing in a naked charity calendar tbf.

>

> Louisa.

No but, Gove and Boris with their clothes on is hell enough