Maternity leave and the consequences

Alan Medic

My assistant is due off in a few weeks.She could take a year off but might decide not to come back. My employers seem to think that enough of her work can be distributed elsewhere so a replacement isn't required. I know what these people are like (the distributionees). They will do f all. It's taken me several years in this job to get things working more or less professionally. Now I see that work going down the pan. I'm tempted to look for other employment but given ageism is a reality I don't know if I should even try. Given an important aspect of my salary is a bonus based on KPI's and I can see those targets not being met, what should I do?

I'm not expecting a definitive answer but if anyone has had a similar experience I'd love to hear about it.

As she is your assistant and your work that will therefore be impacted, have a chat 'upwards' and explain that you are happy to consider the workload being distributed but are concerned that capacity will be stretched (as everyone is working very efficiently already) and tasks are likely to be re-prioritised to ensure work life balance continues to be achieved.

Make clear you think a replacement would ease the burden of increased workloads and ensure same level of work can be achieved.

State your concern that not all of your objectives / KPIs would be achieveable and your bonus is dependant on this. If your PA's work is given out to others, how can you control what they do and how they do it?

I'm not an expert, but isn't the company obliged to hold her job open for her until she returns, other than in the event of a reorg and redundancies? If the work can been farmed out to other people then I wonder how that looks to her. There may be a potential risk it could lead to a claim for discrimination or constructive dismissal. These things do happen unfortunately.

If cost is a factor, perhaps you could take on an intern?

Alan Medic Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm tempted to look for other employment but given ageism is a reality

> I don't know if I should even try.

Do you actually have anything to lose by sending a few CVs out? You won't find something if you don't look!

Speak to your trade union. If you are not a member join one. If you don't have one you appear to be motivated enough to bring one in - and better still represent your c0-workers. Best way of resolving grievances. And if for some reason you can't or don't want to have a formal trade union ask HR about a staff/management group (an informal TU). It is not all about conflict brother/sister.

Thanks malumbu (and others) for bothering to add your input. This is a small family run company and being in a union wouldn't make any difference. There is no conflict,just a difference of views. I happen to think the MD is a very nice guy but makes really stupid mistakes. It was his mummy's company and he never had any experience of working anywhere else.

You still need industrial relations beit 2 people or 20 people and you have a right to organised laboour. There are some issues that need sorting my your own admission - 'stupid mistakes'. Unless it is a workers cooperative or similar it is still out to maximise profits for the benefits of the owners/shareholders. Even John Lewis has to do this. This isn't marxist claptrap but the free market. We are all replacable!