Clowns

JohnL

I know there's a bit of history on clowns here but the whole thing seems to have got out of hand around the US and now the UK.

The film IT is being remade next year and there's another called 31 about evil clowns so I was pretty sure at first all the sightings were a viral marketing campaign, but something else has happened.

I've not seen any in South London.

It is also not unrelated to the Halloween frenzy that is already kicking off amidst the xmas (!) offerings that compete with it in the supermarkets at the moment. The link for me is the licence they both bring to turn the world upside down (I suspect why my parents never even mentioned Halloween - quite right too). If a (scary) clown is a disruption of norms of face-to-face interaction so is 'trick or treat' and the faces carved into pumpkins.

In the anthro lit clown-like costumes are described as often adopted at key rites of passage - where one customary kind of identity has to give way to another (e.g. from childhood to adulthood - just as Halloween marks seasonal change). The scariest ones are in Bateson's brilliant book Naven if you want a few sleepless nights about what it means to be human.

The point being that with us the social ordering of these things breaks down: in Halloween because of individualistic consumerism, with Clowns when they are taken out of the traditions of the circus and used as a way of intimidating people (with no ritual circumstances or justification attached).

Read that it caused a pregnant lady to go prematurely into labour, luckily the baby was okay but what happens if it wasn't or a person had a heart condition? Personally don't see the funny side of randomly scaring people that you don't know or might have medical conditions.

titch juicy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Am I the only one that finds the whole thing

> funny? Purely for it's ridiculousness

Calsug Wrote:

> Read that it caused a pregnant lady to go

> prematurely into labour, luckily the baby was okay

> but what happens if it wasn't or a person had a

> heart condition? Personally don't see the funny

> side of randomly scaring people that you don't

> know or might have medical conditions.

>

???? Wrote:

> Corbyism and now clown craze - millennials

> confirmed as idiots

B***y millennials ;) It's almost an extension of that thing where they paste a picture of themselves with dog ears and nose.

I'm not scared of clowns but children can be, school whispers & rumours are terrifying (I remember some).

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...