Sorting out a Will

LondonMix

Be aware that there are will writers who are not lawyers.

Having seen a probate nightmare unfold after the death of a family friend who left a will which was not done by a lawyer, I've decided to stump up the extra for an actual solicitor. Among other things, the solicitor's notes can be considered by the courts, if there are any questions of interpretation when you are no longer there to explain what you meant.

Peckham Rye-- this clearly states on the website that its solicitors. There doesn't appear to be much in the way of cost savings, it that solicitors are donating their time and in exchange for their normal fee, the charities benefit.

What experience do you have of this to suggest its not solicitors?

My husband and I went to William Bailey in lordship lane had a few quotes but this was the best it was ?350 for the two of us and if we need to change it it's all free

Very good service highly recommend them also wanted it done by solicitors as heard people do contest ones that are not done professionally

Hope this is helpful to you

I looked into this about 18 months ago and the quotes I received from three solicitors based in East Dulwich, including William Bailey were ?500. I went out of the area and used a solicitor in Forest Hill with a considerable saving and was happy with the service. I'm finding more and more there is an "East Dulwich Premium" these days.

As an aside, one of those solicitors in East Dulwich sent me a form for me to complete with all my online user accounts and passwords - No Way!! Has anyone else had this experience and is it something many solicitors request?

LondonMix Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Got it Peckhamrye.

>

> I've used William and Bailey before for mortgage

> work so if the Will Aide idea doesn't come

> together for any reason, I'll certainly speak to

> them. Nxjen, who did you use in Forest Hill?

The firm of solicitors I went to in Forest Hill was Armstrong & Co.

nxjen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I looked into this about 18 months ago and the

> quotes I received from three solicitors based in

> East Dulwich, including William Bailey were ?500.

> I went out of the area and used a solicitor in

> Forest Hill with a considerable saving and was

> happy with the service. I'm finding more and more

> there is an "East Dulwich Premium" these days.

>

> As an aside, one of those solicitors in East

> Dulwich sent me a form for me to complete with all

> my online user accounts and passwords - No Way!!

> Has anyone else had this experience and is it

> something many solicitors request?

The online bit may not have been explained properly, if at all, but most wills now include provision for what happens to your online and social media legacy when you depart this life - ie who, if anyone, can access it and what can they do with it?

Yes I understand that but whilst I am happy for my heir to have this information, which I will give to her personally at some stage, it is not information I would like written down in an office outside of my control. I appreciate that solicitors will do their utmost to ensure security but internet security brings enough anxiety without having all the information written down all together in one place. Besides, this information is changing all the time, passwords and usernames are updated all the time.

I have made provision for what will happen to my material "wealth" when I die but I did this without giving details of e.g. my bank accounts. I don't see my internet legacy differs.