Any leather experts out there?

Alec1

I bought a 'leather' sofa from here a little while ago. All okay for a few weeks then I noticed it was getting sticky on the seat parts. It is now unusable without a cover.

Have done some research and it appears this might be particular to bicast leather. Obviously I would like to trust the sellers about this, as I was lead to believe it was 100% leather but since I did text them asking how they used to clean it, with no response forthcoming, I am guessing that I might have been duped.

Leather cleaning products are really pricey, there are so many different ones, and it was a struggle to cough up the ?100 I paid for it...I just wanted something lovely and comfortable for a change instead of old and tired. If anyone has some advice, then I would be really grateful. Thanks in advance. :-)

if it's pre-owned it's hard to say, as it can be due to the tanning process or spillages. If it'spillsages or effects or earlier treatments, you could just clean it. If it's poor tanning, I've found a website below that has some information.

You have to be careful cleaning leather - as some cleaners are alkaline (Leather is acidic. Its pH is measured at between 4.5 and 5.0. Household cleaners are alkaline. Windex, 409, Mr. Clean are all common household cleaners with a pH of exceeding 9.0 and topping out at 11.45 (Windex).

Mine was dirty, not sticky and I tried the following (avoiding household cleaning products)

I tried vinegar mixed with olive oil

http://www.topcleaningsecrets.com/house/how-to-clean-a-leather-sofa-at-home.html

It didn't particularly lift any deep dirt but made it feel nice. Might help?

We used a leather car seat cleaner - I think we go it on the hardware shop across the road from the M&S on Lordship Lane. That made it clean!

We also have a leather cleaning set from the DIY shop nearer to Goose Green. That wasn't too expensive ?10-?20 - something like that. Haven't used it yet. Got bit bored of the time it was taking....

Whatever you do, try it on an area out of sight, so if it does strip the colour, you won't have to worry too much.

Mine's cream and a bit lighter in patches but it may be just because it's actually REALLY clean in places!

This is also informative - in the effects of the tanning process (if it had not been tanned properly) http://likeleather.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/leather-couch.html

I always use Saddle Soap best thing ever and cheap I was advised years ago when I had cheap leather sofa and I still use it on my newleather sofas if if its good for horse saddles it's good for any sort of leather get the bar of soap cheaper just wash it then wipe it down with clear warm water

Hope this helps