A general thread to discuss Trump

intexasatthe moment

Sally Yates in her confirmation hearing as Deputy Attorney General being questioned by Jeff Sessions .

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/31/politics/sally-yates-jeff-sessions-deputy-attorney-general-hearing/

Sessions: "You have to watch out because people will be asking you to do things and you need to say no... But if the views the President wants to execute are unlawful, should the Attorney General or the Deputy Attorney General say no?"

Yates replies: "Senator, I believe the Attorney General or the Deputy Attorney General has an obligation to follow the law and the Constitution and to give their independent legal advice to the President."

ED-N - It's just common courtesy or we just have a page of Trump threads DUCY? it's not about anyone's 'ownership' you moron .

ITATM - it's not about it being boring, I've been joining in on these threads it's just every fooking new bit of news there's a new thread. I look forward to your tomorrow news new Trump thread with eager anticipation?

TRUMPSPAM I'm loving it

It is a bit annoying when duplicate threads appear e.g. the 2 petition threads, but at the moment there's such a lot of stuff coming out on Trump that I think it would swamp one thread and make it hard and incoherent to follow, so I don't mind the separation...for the time being.

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There are 6 other threads you could have put this

> on FFS - selfish and tedious every new bit of

> Trump news creating a new thread

Eight now quids if you include Admin's latest

Admin has asked for no more threads. But Trump is the worlds most talked about person currently. I'm not surprised and I bet similar is happening elsewhere.

Anyway pub on Chancery Lane at lunchtime today "Unlike Trump. We welcome everybody."

Returning to the OP, which for me indexes something new (as will the nomination of the Supreme Court Justice and the impending 'cable of dissent' that may lead to hundreds of sackings), this seems to me to be quite alarming - the precedent for this sort of action (politics against the advisory-of-law), is Nixon ... just before he was impeached.

All building up to quite a picture - and for me we should have threads for everything new going (not duplicates of course). There will be some highly dangerous days ahead - for the integrity of the EU particularly. What was said very clearly today by Tusk suggests to me that is perhaps the most worrying of all. But no new thread allowed apparently even though that has not been the focus of any previous thread.

JohnL Wrote:

> Anyway pub on Chancery Lane at lunchtime today

> "Unlike Trump. We welcome everybody."

Hah. It's at this point I wished I worked in TV. I'd be organising a crew to head out and test that little boast...

I was /am genuinely interested in views re Trump sacking the AG . It seems to me the action of a dictator but I'm not sure if I'm over reacting a little . I'm not familar with American politics . I hadn't realised that the other threads were discussing issues not indicated in their title .

Actually ,having had a look at one about petitions many of the posts just seem to be personal banter/point scoring between posters rather than discussion about Trumps actions .But thinking about it - I guess this forum is more about that ( banter etc ) and I take Admins point that there are plenty of "news" sites that I can read if I want to read about Trump and people's comments on his actions .

His main problem currently is that the Democrats have withdrawn supply: so he cannot get new cabinet members nominated. There was a popular backlash against those Democrats who nodded through earlier appointments. Part of the US constitution is that at least one opposition member must at least be present for an appointment to be ratified: so if they are not there can be no new post. Wonderful!

Sue Wrote:

> This is a very very interesting and plausible analysis.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Trump is a businessman, not a politician.

That is basically an extreme form of how a lot of businesses work - set the price at ?x + 20%, accept ?x and customer thinks they have a bargain.

Next time that wine is 'half price' at the supermarket (you know, the one that has been on and off half price for about a year or two) and you think 'bargain', you actually should be thinking 'sucker', because you've bought a ?5.99 wine you probably didn't want for the bargain price of ?5.99.

It's extreme 'virtue signaling' writ large, to their voters and a sabre rattle to Russians and the likes.

'Look at how challenging we are on the world stage, we don't care what people think of us' In short, watch out, see what we'll do next.

That's interesting to read Sue ,thanks for posting . FWIW ( not much -) ) I don't buy the conspiracy theory bit that Trump is trying to distract us .The media is too fast and too all over everything .I hope .

I do agree with seabag about sabre rattling . A lot of people who voted for Trump will love his "strength" .

And I absolutely agree that "The immigration ban may be more viscerally upsetting, but the other moves are potentially far more dangerous."

eg "that the DHS felt they could ignore a federal court than that Trump signed an EO blocking green card holders in the first place. It is a much bigger deal that Trump removed a permanent military presence from the NSC" and that the AG was removed .

I do wonder if Trump is trying to provoke - demonstrations so that he can bring in controls to limit public gatherings ,other countries sothat he can impose /justify ever tighter anti terrorist ( what he'd describe as ) actions .

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> And is Trumps filing to run again in 2020 have any

> particular significance ?

Yes it's very significant - under US law any non-profit campaigning against a presidential candidate (or any other candidate for office) risks having its tax-free charitable status revoked by the IRS. So, for example, if Planned Parenthood campaign against his anti-abortion stance, he can accuse them of politically attacking a candidate for the 2020 election and go after their charitable status.

Declaring as a candidate also allows him to solicit funds from businesses and other organisations in a way the President is not allowed to but a candidate is.