Forum Sponsors

Glazer Delmar

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

www.dulwichcarpetcompany.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 16
messageRe: A general thread to discuss Trump
Posted by ££££ 12 February, 2017 20:26

It's a tedious sidetrack - but the you was generic and pointing out a general flaw of many of the left isn't trading insults - shall we all move on?

Posted by jaywalker 12 February, 2017 21:22

It is certainly a tedious sidetrack. However, if you use this defence you risk certain things. X is an A, now I will point out the general flaws of A's; but it has, of course, nothing to do with X personally; its just a generic argument. Well, where else have I heard that kind of reasoning?

Moving on, we are in for an interesting day tomorrow, with new immigration orders.

Posted by Jenny1 13 February, 2017 11:38

I think this is interesting on the way that congressional Republicans view Trump.

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by jaywalker 13 February, 2017 23:02

ah, Flynn has the 'full confidence of the President'. Well, we will see.

Posted by Jenny1 14 February, 2017 06:35

I love the way that the phrase 'full confidence' is such a reliable kiss of death.

Posted by Sue 14 February, 2017 09:34

Jenny1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love the way that the phrase 'full confidence'
> is such a reliable kiss of death.

big grin

Posted by JohnL 14 February, 2017 09:46

If it all unravels for Trump - UK/May will be left with egg on it's face.

Maybe Merkel keeping her distance is sensible.

Posted by intexasatthe moment 14 February, 2017 11:09

Jenny - yes ,re kiss of death .
And thanks for link yesterday .I keep wondering what the Republicans are up to . I just can't believe they will let Trump carry on ,have they no shame >

Regarding Flynn - was it him that was reported to have visited Russia ? And Trump said no no ,fake facts etc .He showed me his passport . Or was it someone else ?

Posted by Jenny1 14 February, 2017 11:39

Hi intexasatthemoment

I don't know if there was a specific Flynn visit to Russia which Trump denied, but Flynn's close contacts in Russia have been public knowledge for a while. His downfall was due to the phone conversations* he had with the Russian Ambassador about sanctions while Obama was still in office. I think that's because of a law which prevents private citizens from engaging in diplomacy. This left him open to blackmail by the Russians.

I imagine there's a hope in the White House that all the 'too close to Putin' baggage that's been weighing them down can be loaded onto Flynn's shoulders now, and will disappear out of the door now he's left.

- Editing to add - *and of course lying about those conversations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2017:02:14:11:57:27 by Jenny1.

Posted by Jenny1 14 February, 2017 11:41

As to the Republicans in Congress. I imagine they feel they can work around Trump and advance their legislative agenda. I suspect shame doesn't come into it!

Posted by intexasatthe moment 14 February, 2017 12:09

I agree Jenny ,I think they'll just use Flynn to distance themselves .And I guess you're right about the Republicans ,proving Trump correct about the swamp .Sigh .

I located the story about not visiting Russia ,it was re a Michael Cohen [www.theatlantic.com]

Posted by Jenny1 14 February, 2017 12:24

I see. That's an interesting article. So all connected with the Christoper Steele dossier. I wonder how he's getting on these days!

Posted by red devil 14 February, 2017 16:29

Trump made the mistake of falling out with his own intelligence agency. They will *know* most stuff on him and his entourage...

Posted by jaywalker 14 February, 2017 20:32

Yes, that is exactly right. Poor Donald, death by a thousand cuts. This has 'out of control' written all over it. The various agencies he has infuriated will see to it that he is impeached I think: they have only gotten started.

Poor May, too. Was she not briefed?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was 2017:02:14:20:52:34 by jaywalker.

Posted by Jenny1 14 February, 2017 21:32

I think Reince Priebus may be next for the chop (for different reasons of course).

This really creepy recent tweet from the eye-popping Kellyanne suggests she's positioning herself for the Chief of Staff job

'I serve at the pleasure of @POTUS. His message is my message. His goals are my goals. Uninformed chatter doesn't matter'.

Posted by Jenny1 14 February, 2017 21:42

...although I suppose it might be a defensive move in the face of a possible ethics inquiry.

Posted by Jenny1 14 February, 2017 22:19

This is very funny

[nymag.com]

Posted by Loz 15 February, 2017 01:11

Jenny1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think Reince Priebus ...

His name sounds like Spoonerism at work!

Posted by Jenny1 15 February, 2017 10:32

They love a peculiar name, don't they, these Americans?

Posted by intexasatthe moment 15 February, 2017 10:55

Yes ,those names .Add to the surreal quality of it all ,like watching a film .

My brain really isn't up to all this ,but Trump was well aware before his innaugration that discussions with Russia needed investigating .How can he ( rhetorical question ) claim that it's just now that he's lost confidence in Flynn.

See this old news about it [edition.cnn.com]

Posted by intexasatthe moment 15 February, 2017 11:00

And I don't want to overload this thread with humerous links ( so easy ) but this is about Trumps handshaking style .

The "Trump Pump " .[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Posted by Jenny1 15 February, 2017 11:19

The Telegraph article is fun! And I think the humour is an important part of the story, because so much that should be considered and responsible is being turned into farce.

Posted by intexasatthe moment 15 February, 2017 11:23

Trump and Russia - I have zero idea of the legitimacy of any of these claims but they sound believable to me .

[www.dailykos.com]

[www.dailykos.com]

and I know nothing about The Daily Kos [en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by Jenny1 15 February, 2017 11:29

I think there are lots of confusing and tangled threads in the whole 'too close to Putin' story. I would say the point now is to get Congress to properly investigate the things we already know about. Any thorough investigation into the Flynn affair might well start to turn up other links.

I'll have a thorough read of the articles you've linked to a bit later intexas. Thanks for keeping a thought provoking conversation going!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2017:02:15:11:30:31 by Jenny1.

Posted by intexasatthe moment 15 February, 2017 11:40

I'm not sure I'm actually contributing anything Jenny ,just raising questions and hoping for reality checks .

I've not read this properly but lots about investigating the whole links with Russia thing and how any Flynn investigation would just be a part of that .

[www.theatlantic.com]

Posted by intexasatthe moment 15 February, 2017 20:50

I've copied this because it seems to me such a ridiculous response to a question about anti semitism,almost unbelievable .

Q    Mr. President, since your election campaign and even after your victory, we’ve seen a sharp rise in anti-Semitic incidents across the United States.  And I wonder what you say to those among the Jewish community in the States, and in Israel, and maybe around the world who believe and feel that your administration is playing with xenophobia and maybe racist tones.
And, Mr. Prime Minister, do you agree to what the President just said about the need for Israel to restrain or to stop settlement activity in the West Bank?  And a quick follow-up on my friend’s questions -- simple question:  Do you back off from your vision to the end of the conflict of two-state solution as you laid out in Bar-Ilan speech, or you still support it?  Thank you.
PRESIDENT TRUMP:  Well, I just want to say that we are very honored by the victory that we had -- 306 Electoral College votes.  We were not supposed to crack 220.  You know that, right?  There was no way to 221, but then they said there’s no way to 270.  And there’s tremendous enthusiasm out there.  
I will say that we are going to have peace in this country.  We are going to stop crime in this country.  We are going to do everything within our power to stop long-simmering racism and every other thing that’s going on, because lot of bad things have been taking place over a long period of time.  
I think one of the reasons I won the election is we have a very, very divided nation.  Very divided.  And, hopefully, I’ll be able to do something about that.  And, you know, it was something that was very important to me.
As far as people -- Jewish people -- so many friends, a daughter who happens to be here right now, a son-in-law, and three beautiful grandchildren.  I think that you’re going to see a lot different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years.  I think a lot of good things are happening, and you’re going to see a lot of love.  You’re going to see a lot of love.  Okay?  Thank you
read more: [www.haaretz.com]

Posted by jaywalker 15 February, 2017 20:56

Well, someone is doing the leaking and it's not Snowden.

The deep-state exists and it is terrifying. Way beyond the 'military-industrial complex' now. It may end up being far more of concern than Trump (who, we may come to think, is just a smoke-screen: for when he is impeached or resigns an illusion of 'sanity' will prevail, the perfect mask of power). Obama has some responsibility here.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit was 2017:02:15:21:00:24 by jaywalker.

Posted by jaywalker 15 February, 2017 21:05

This is the most incisive article I've found on Trump this week:

[www.lrb.co.uk]

Posted by Jenny1 15 February, 2017 22:01

Hi intexasatthemoment. I think that's just his standard response to most questions - no matter what the subject matter. I won. I'm great. Everything used to be bad. Now everything will be great.

There seems to be a strong push among American activists to get Congressional Republicans to step up to do some real oversight ....but as discussed previously most are happy with the status quo. It'll need a powerful movement indeed to change their minds.

Posted by Jenny1 15 February, 2017 22:08

They're now talking about deploying ground forces in Syria. It looks horribly like that classic tactic of sending troops into combat to provide a distraction from your own mess up.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 16

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum