Forum Sponsors

www.advancedpainters.co.uk
xxxx
Professional Carpet Cleaning at an affordable price - A & M Carpet Care

www.inshutters.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 15
messageRe: A general thread to discuss Trump
Posted by Loz 08 March, 2017 18:24

A theatre in America re-enacted the Trump/Clinton debates, but with the gender roles reversed. Interesting...

[www.nyu.edu]

Posted by Otta 08 March, 2017 19:18

People like this would have voted Trump, and will be applauding everything he's doing. There are quite a few of them in parts of America. Scary place (in parts).

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by jaywalker 08 March, 2017 20:14

Trump is an illusion, or better a mirage floating on the desert in view. It is the Republican majority we need to be scared of. They (not he) have God on their side. And it is they, I fear, that will do the legislating.

Trump is an innocent: that is the secret of his success (as Dostoevsky noted so penetratingly). He actually believes everything as he slides from one moment to another (no matter the idiocy as each inconsistent belief is as good as the next, and can thus be as truly felt).

Posted by rahrahrah 09 March, 2017 06:40

red devil Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> O.M.G...
> [www.bbc.co.uk]

Just watched this. 😳

Posted by intexasatthe moment 09 March, 2017 09:26

Opened the link but sorry ,can't bear to watch .

Posted by Loz 09 March, 2017 11:34

Otta Wrote:
> People like this would have voted Trump, and will
> be applauding everything he's doing. There are
> quite a few of them in parts of America. Scary
> place (in parts).
>
> [www.bbc.co.uk]

But people like this have always existed. What Trump did was convince working class America that he was their saviour. And unless the Democrats start pulling their finger out to win them back, we will be in serious danger of a second term for Trump.

Posted by JoeLeg 09 March, 2017 17:02

This is very true. It's all in the mid-terms. If the Dem's do well, Trump is finished; the GOP will have a quiet word with him.

If they fail, and the Republicans still hold the House and Senate, they'll keep him for another term. They don't have any qualms about pulling the rug out from under Trump is they think he's threatening their future chances. But nor do they mind tolerating him so long as they get what they want.

He's keeping the seat warm for Pence, one way or another. The GOP see him as an anomaly, a lesson to be learned for the future.

Posted by JohnL 06 April, 2017 09:51

Trumps had a conversion on the road to Damascus

Bannons gone, Trump says what happened in Syria was an affront to humanity and insinuates he blames Russia.

Alt Rights on twitter saying he's gone NeoCon

Posted by Seabag 07 April, 2017 08:59

He's also firing missiles at airbases, they'll love that.

Posted by JohnL 07 April, 2017 09:54

Seabag Wrote:
> He's also firing missiles at airbases, they'll
> love that.

My, At this rate, Road to Damascus won't be just an idiom

Posted by JoeLeg 07 April, 2017 10:36

I'm only amazed that it took such little time for the political establishment in Americacto swallow him up, I thought he'd hold out longer.

The spluttering fury of the alt-right really is something to behold though!

Posted by Alan Medic 07 April, 2017 13:08

Do people agree or disagree with Trump's decision to fire at a Syrian air base? I don't know if it's just going to lead to a more unstable world or if it could actually do some good. Either way, with Trump in charge it's all a bit scary.

Posted by JoeLeg 07 April, 2017 15:58

With Russia backing them I think it was a foolish move. Any losses can be made good by Russia, and the idea that Assad is deploying nerve gas without the tacit support of Putin is laughable; Putin is plainly ok with it.

It's a direct challenge to Russia in the region, and shows that the Defence Secretary and National Security Advisor have been able to advance their viewpoint to the detriment (obviously) of Bannon et al. In other words the alt-right party is over and 'normal service' has resumed.

I don't think poking Russia with a stick is a good idea, but then it's the first use of chemical weapons since Trump took office and he plainly thinks he needs to respond. I think this was too much.

Posted by 07 April, 2017 17:52

If Obhama's Foreign Policy hadn't been so ineffectual and Ed Milliband hadn't been involved in a shameful episode of political opportunism, I feel things would have been far better in Syria and far fewer lives lost

Posted by 07 April, 2017 17:53

But bombing that airstrips dropping chemicals on babies & kids - I'm supportive.

Posted by JoeLeg 07 April, 2017 17:58

I don't have a problem with the act of bombing the airfields per se. My concern is the escalation of force in the face of such trenchant Russian support for Assad. Turkey and Russia patched it up pretty quick when they shot at each other; I'm not convinced the same would happen if US forces got it wrong and killed Russian servicemen. To say nothing of the fact that it rackets up tension regardless.

I don't think nothing should've been done, I think air strikes etc should've been done a long time ago and Russia ha its feet firmly under the table in Damascus now.

Posted by 07 April, 2017 18:01

yes and that time was when Labour didn't support it for a 'political' victory - no wonder the new darling of Twitter, Ed Milliband, hasn't made any comment on this

Posted by JoeLeg 07 April, 2017 18:31

I think at that time there wasn't as much support in the country for more foreign adventures. Plus some were starting to ask who or what would fill the vacuum if Assad left. Certainly Lybia and Eygpt were not seem as resounding successes. Tory MP's had their reservations too.

If we were going to hit Assad it should've been at the start, hard. That time has passed and with it our ability to influence the future of Syria. I have no trouble pulverising those responsible for what happened, I just don't think in the grand scheme it will help.

Posted by jaywalker 07 April, 2017 20:19

In purely game-theoretic terms (please read this literally) Trump is acting with some acuity. He has become unpredictable. Putin and Xi will have taken note. See endless poker simulations where programmes win against their stupid (even though world-ranked) human 'interpreters' by defying interpretation.

I believe this is current orthodoxy in game-theory terms.

(PS, probably N Korea (though certainly neither Russia nor China) is too stupid to realise - we might fear this, really quite a lot).

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit was 2017:04:07:20:24:33 by jaywalker.

Posted by rendelharris 07 April, 2017 20:40

JoeLeg Wrote:
> I think at that time there wasn't as much support
> in the country for more foreign adventures. Plus
> some were starting to ask who or what would fill
> the vacuum if Assad left. Certainly Lybia and
> Eygpt were not seem as resounding successes. Tory
> MP's had their reservations too.
>
> If we were going to hit Assad it should've been at
> the start, hard. That time has passed and with it
> our ability to influence the future of Syria. I
> have no trouble pulverising those responsible for
> what happened, I just don't think in the grand
> scheme it will help.

Sense as ever Joe. Nobody who saw the pictures of the gassed children could avoid the natural desire to take revenge on the perpetrators. However, this has been going on for years and nothing's been done - Trump's justification for a complete reversal of his avowed policy of non involvement seemed to be that he'd seen pictures of "beautiful babies" being killed. If the President of the USA is going to risk conflict with Russia on the basis that something he's seen on TV has upset him we're in for a bumpy ride. It looks decisive and strong - only a cynic (me) could wonder if he's decided it's time for a distraction from the absolute dog's breakfast of a presidency he's managed so far - but it's no basis for a coherent foreign policy.

Posted by 07 April, 2017 20:51

But, in a agreement with Jaywalker's game theory, Assad will probably now be wary of using nerve gas on kids....and on a continuum, of which all of is degrees of ghastly, that is less so. So well done Trump.

Posted by 07 April, 2017 20:52

PS this isn't revenge either it's targeting the airfield where the attacks were launched from

Posted by rendelharris 07 April, 2017 21:02

Wrote:
> But, in a agreement with Jaywalker's game theory,
> Assad will probably now be wary of using nerve gas
> on kids....and on a continuum, of which all of is
> degrees of ghastly, that is less so. So well done
> Trump.

Really? You think he didn't know he'd be found out? The US attack has only had the effect of strengthening Assad in that Russia now say they'll boost Syria's air defences. Just like Saddam or Mugabe or...too many to name, this $%^* won't react in a normal, rational or civilised fashion.

Posted by Loz 07 April, 2017 21:05

From the play, "The Letter of Last Resort"...

[John] The rational thing for you to do Prime Minister, in all matters of world affairs, is to behave in a wayward and dangerous manner.

[PM] You cant be serious.

[John] Im deadly serious. In order to keep the value of a national Nuclear deterrent the rest of the world has to believe that the leadership of that nation is basically irrational on a knife edge ready to go off at any moment likely to do berserk things they have to look at that nation and believe that its premier is driven by enough psychopathy that they would be willing to see twenty million innocent civilians die for no other reason than sheer revenge.

[PM] Right.

[John] Its called the crazy strategy.

[PM] The crazy strategy.

[John] Its a strategy which Israel pioneered. Iran has adopted it. America pursues it quite successfully.

Posted by Alan Medic 08 April, 2017 10:28

After what I heard overnight I shouldn't be so concerned about what Trump does. Apparently it was his Mrs who asked him to do it!

Posted by Alan Medic 25 April, 2017 13:20

At the week-end my brother suggested to me the following scenario re the attack on the Syrian airbase.

Putin has something on Trump but Trump had to do something to show how strong America is and appear to stand up to Putin. Thus he warned Putin of the impending attack, who in turn warned Assad. This is why the damage to the base seems to have been negligible. Planes were flying out of it the next day.

Soon afterwards Trump's son was declaring that the attack shows that Daddy isn't in league with Putin.

Oh and by the way,Trump has/had shares in the company who makes the tomahawk missiles used in the attack. It's known he had before becoming President. Not known if he sold them. Share price went up after the attack.

It all makes sense doesn't it?

Posted by JohnL 25 April, 2017 13:24

Alan Medic Wrote:
> After what I heard overnight I shouldn't be so
> concerned about what Trump does. Apparently it was
> his Mrs who asked him to do it!

Wife or daughter - they seem interhchangeable

Posted by rendelharris 25 April, 2017 14:10

Alan Medic Wrote:

> Putin has something on Trump but Trump had to do
> something to show how strong America is and appear
> to stand up to Putin.

Google Trump and Bayrock corporation for some interesting theories about just what hold Russia has over Trump.

Posted by red devil 10 May, 2017 00:05

Trumpy has fired FBI Director James Comey, over the Clinton emails leak. This is going to be fun...

Posted by Saffron 10 May, 2017 10:07

As reported by CNN...
Quote:
Former campaign spokesman Brian Fallon said that while he believed Comey had "inflicted severe damage" on the FBI, "the timing and manner of this firing suggest that it is the product of Donald Trump feeling the heat on the ongoing Russia investigation and not a well thought out response to the inappropriate handling of the Clinton investigation"

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 15

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum