How do I get rid of blackfly?

Mark

I think that you can also grow something that attracts them more. You're advised to grow nasturtiums close to tomato plants to tempt the blighters away (works with marigolds too, I think). BUT, I've always wondered why having blackfly on your other plants is such a good thing and if they like these plants so much why having them in your garden doesn't just attract them. But then , my garden, despite my best efforts, is a bit rubbish so what do I know.

Actually that's a good point Bawdy-nan; nasturtiums do get covered with blackfly. But if you grow nasturtiums to draw away the blackfly you still end up having. . . blackfly!

How about this one - attract more song birds and ladybirds into your garden to eat the blighters.

But Huguenot's methodical plan appeals to me for some reason!

spymum

(Blog: Posh Mum)

Best way to get rid of blackfly is to get down and dirty, by that I mean going for finger'n'thumb to fly combat, once you squash over half of the blighters the rest will disappear, works every year with my broad beans.

Ladybirds are really good and you can buy them online, they arrive in a ventilated camera film case together with a piece of popcorn which they nibble in transit.

See! I was right!! Squish half of them 'manually' and the other half take fright and run away!

The only drawback is that it's youcky...eeuuw!

I think that Mikewbate is right - tell them off. And if I see any men in ED shouting at their hedges I'll know its you, Mark!