The Franklins Quarter, Mons, the Cheese and I

Mick Mac

Since Christmas I've been reading a book called "the Cheese and I", about an English accountant (Matt) who packed in his job, took to the road and became an award winning cheese maker in France. Being myself employed in a mostly desk based finance role, I found this story very liberating during my journey to work in the post Christmas winter weeks. Although through reading the book, I found out how difficult a life the cheese business is.

Early in his journey Matt met and was interviewed by Herve the owner of Mons the French cheese business. He went on to have many dealings with Herve and work behind the scenes and then front of shop for Mons in the Lyon area, learning the trade.

Lo and behold I was walking down Lordship Lane on Saturday to find that Mons is now opening what seems to be it's first permanent establishment in England in East Dulwich. Existing operations are I guess semi permanent in that they are market based, including Borough Market, since 2006.

I know it's been highlighted elsewhere on the forum, but from not having heard of Mons until reading the book, this feels like an amazing personal coincidence, and creates a trio of French operations on LL near Franklins, adding to Boulangerie Jade and Cave de Bruno.

Everything we need, bread, cake, wine and cheese - Vive la France. And with Moxons, William Rose, Franklins restaurant and Farm Shop, this really is becoming the culinary high spot of Lordship Lane, where once Franklins was a bit of an outlier, standing alone amongst tyre shops and chicken shops. What wonderful "progress" for us all to enjoy.

I happen to like the old Cheese Block. It's been discussed at length here before...and perhaps it's ripe for a hipster attack from the south side. But I know said owner a bit and he's actually a really nice chap who knows a LOT about cheese, just a bit shy by nature and personality.

I happen to like the old Cheese Block. It's been discussed at length here before...and perhaps it's ripe for a hipster attack from the south side. But I know said owner a bit and he's actually a really nice chap who knows a LOT about cheese, just a bit shy by nature and personality. Can the Lane support two cheese shops though? Prepare for Cheese Wars....

DovertheRoad Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I happen to like the old Cheese Block. It's been

> discussed at length here before...and perhaps it's

> ripe for a hipster attack from the south side. But

> I know said owner a bit and he's actually a

> really nice chap who knows a LOT about cheese,

> just a bit shy by nature and personality. Can the

> Lane support two cheese shops though? Prepare for

> Cheese Wars....

The theme tune will be...

Bomp tiddlly om pomph.."And the cheese goes rolling down the street, Parle vouz!"

DovertheRoad Wrote:

> I happen to like the old Cheese Block. It's been

> discussed at length here before...and perhaps it's

> ripe for a hipster attack from the south side. But

> I know said owner a bit and he's actually a

> really nice chap who knows a LOT about cheese,

> just a bit shy by nature and personality. Can the

> Lane support two cheese shops though? Prepare for

> Cheese Wars....

His cheese ain't that special though and that is the bottom line for me.

I am also excited by Mons and although I like the cheese block produce, I have to agree owner and the girl who work there have been pretty unfriendly every time I've been in. We are indeed very blessed with the lovely shops on LL. I wish Franklins was a bit more affordable though - I often walk in and browse, only to walk out again thinking prices are ridiculous.

What we really need though is a decent deli! I want a nice meat counter filled with a broad selection of salami's, hams etc. Yum Yum! Hopefully Mons includes this but I doubt it since his speciality is cheese!

Yes a deli on the Lane would be useful, but it would need to be viable and not over priced as competition from the likes of Sainsbury's (DKH), Morrisons (Peckham) and Tesco (Lewisham) Deli counters plus a variety of continental meats in the likes of Aldi and Lidl, including their special offers. Also a number of Polish food shops and teh Italian deli in Lewisham. Can't think of any other's locally.

There up until about 18 months ago was a lovely old fashioned Italian Deli near Kings Cross Station run by an old Italian guy, but that unfortunately closed.

dbboy Wrote:

> There up until about 18 months ago was a lovely

> old fashioned Italian Deli near Kings Cross

> Station run by an old Italian guy, but that

> unfortunately closed.

They had a shop cat, and in Autumn they did a Tuscan pigs head brawn.

Great little shop, lovely guy.

I shopped there for a few years when I worked up that way.

Did he have saw dust on the floor, or was that the 'pub' up the street?

There used to be a brilliant Italian Deli/Cafe on Farringdon Road, talking about London far flung deli's used to get the best salami from there when I worked around the corner. Was further up from the post office on left. I do love lidl fennel salami but it's not in walking distance and I have to say I do love a nice deli counter with a selection of meats you can have sliced in front of you. Would be good if Cheese Block made more of a deli - they have a few salami's at the back. Everything is so bloomin' expensive though - we don't want a Franklin's deli, would be about a pound per slice!

As rrr and jrk said, the closure of the ED deli is a clear opportunity for the cheese block. They already do plenty of other stuff apart from cheese, but re-launching as a proper deli should give them a certain amount of protection from the new competition. Whether they're willing to embrace the opportunity and the necessary changes is another matter...