Looking for a band to play at our street party

gnulover

Random request but we have a street party every year and have had bands play in the past which has really added to the vibe and been great fun. Unfortunately the band who came last year are now spread around the corners of the globe so I am wondering if anybody would like to come along and entertain a crowd of enthusiastic neighbours. I am afraid there is nothing in it apart from some burgers and luke warm beers but thought I would see if anybody fancied helping us out. Date is Sat 10 June 12.00-15.00 (although you don't need to play for the whole 3 hours!!!).

Thanks

Jacqui

Tarbert Road, SE22 8QB

perhaps some folk will offer your payment of warm beer is surly going to appeal - however I have never found it a useful currency . Musician work hard and deserve to be fairly paid no one would ever dream of asking their accountant,dentist doctor or lawyer to be paid in warm beer. But good luck. I would love to pay MP's in warm beer and burgers, VAT and Council Tax

• 2 weeks later...

We are similarly looking for a local band for the 3 street parties held in our area (we're clubbing together to organise). Jacque if you get any good suggestions I would be really grateful if you could let me know. I will do likewise!

Thanks

Emiky

sorchamr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> perhaps some folk will offer your payment of warm

> beer is surly going to appeal - however I have

> never found it a useful currency . Musician work

> hard and deserve to be fairly paid no one would

> ever dream of asking their accountant,dentist

> doctor or lawyer to be paid in warm beer. But good

> luck. I would love to pay MP's in warm beer and

> burgers, VAT and Council Tax

I understand the sentiment but I think you need to take into account the nature of the event. I've been on a number of governing bodies and voluntary organisations. On every one of them lawyers, accountants, architects, IT professionals etc have all given their time and their professional skills freely and without any thought of remuneration. Without such input our schools couldn't function and - with magistrates also being unpaid - our legal system would grind to a halt.

I imagine that everyone involved in organising these community events are giving their time freely and working very hard to make them a success. If people are happy to play music to add to people's enjoyment that's up to them and I'm sure everyone involved will be extremely grateful and the day will be made more enjoyable.

dc Wrote:

> sorchamr Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > perhaps some folk will offer your payment of

> warm

> > beer is surly going to appeal - however I have

> > never found it a useful currency . Musician

> work

> > hard and deserve to be fairly paid no one would

> > ever dream of asking their accountant,dentist

> > doctor or lawyer to be paid in warm beer. But

> good

> > luck. I would love to pay MP's in warm beer and

> > burgers, VAT and Council Tax

>

> I understand the sentiment but I think you need to

> take into account the nature of the event. I've

> been on a number of governing bodies and voluntary

> organisations. On every one of them lawyers,

> accountants, architects, IT professionals etc have

> all given their time and their professional skills

> freely and without any thought of remuneration.

> Without such input our schools couldn't function

> and - with magistrates also being unpaid - our

> legal system would grind to a halt.

>

> I imagine that everyone involved in organising

> these community events are giving their time

> freely and working very hard to make them a

> success. If people are happy to play music to add

> to people's enjoyment that's up to them and I'm

> sure everyone involved will be extremely grateful

> and the day will be made more enjoyable.

This. I used to play rugby for free because it was my hobby, I cycle for free because it's my hobby, some people have a hobby of playing in bands and just like to have an audience. Whenever, on any forum, people enquire about a band playing for free there will always be others who get on their high horse about "musicians" needing to be paid; professional musicians, of course, amateurs doing it for a laugh, no. The OP didn't say "are there any professional bands that are willing to play for beer and burgers?" - just looking for a few keen players who might enjoy playing for a laugh. If someone said "anyone fancy playing in a five-a-side team for fun?" nobody would be saying "Oh actually athletes ought to be paid!" but apparently when it comes to music anyone who can pick up a guitar is suddenly a pro - I wish this were the case, I'd make a fortune!

Hope you find someone DC.

Hello all,

I have been in a fairly decent dad's band and we have over the last 3 or 4 years played several local events including

school fairs,street parties and Dulwich park a few times. As a band we rehearsed regularly ,had decent equipment and sounded pretty good.We were getting asked more and more to play at events and peoples parties whom we didn't know and were

always told "we can't pay you but you can have a few beers". I love to play with the band and support my local community

but there is a fine balance between this and people taking the piss out of you.

Yep I'm with rendel, DC (and others). Yes, if you're of a high standard and are used to getting paid reasonably well to play at functions, etc then this probably won't appeal. But if you do it purely for a laugh and are a bit more of a ramshackle outfit, then why not?

Also, pretty much any band playing original material is accustomed to basically not being paid for playing. They might be interested in something like this, especially if they have a few crowd-pleasing covers they can roll out. Assuming the residents can club together to arrange a stage and basic PA.

Either way, no point arguing about it. Either bands are interested, or they're not.

Agreed. However, there is an implied requirement for quality and repertoire, right ?

If the band is basically weak, loses rhythym or tempo, out of key on occasion, forgets lyrics, etc, would that be OK ?

If the band plays American hillbilly covers from 1927-1933 will that be OK too ?

Dunno KK. At things like Goose Green festival (last year), it appeared to be a bunch of mates playing blues jams and a few covers they knew. Imagine if you gave a bunch of the Dulwich Jam guys an hour long slot... that's the kind of thing you might get.

Without wishing to speak for the OP, I would imagine that yeah, the odd forgotten lyric or fluffed note would be expected. Clearly you are not going to get some sort of slick functions band for nothing (where would the money come from, anyway?)

You thinking of volunteering?!

I think the main issue is that the band must not be out of pocket.

Most bands have their own amps and instruments, but many bands won't have a PA, so that needs to be hired. Plus offer some petrol money and make sure they're fed and watered.

I used to play in a covers band that made good money playing weddings and other functions, but we'd occasionally do something like this for the fun of it. But not if we'd actually end up losing money.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------. At things like Goose Green festival

> (last year), it appeared to be a bunch of mates

> playing blues jams and a few covers they knew.

I hope you aren't talking about the music at the Dulwich Festival Fair on Goose Green?

We take pride in booking good musicians.

Sue Wrote:

> Jeremy Wrote:

> > At things like Goose Green festival

> > (last year), it appeared to be a bunch of mates

> > playing blues jams and a few covers they knew.

>

>

> I hope you aren't talking about the music at the

> Dulwich Festival Fair on Goose Green?

>

> We take pride in booking good musicians.

Yes I was. But actually, upon reflection I think it must have been two years ago.

They were fine, I had fun, and they looked like they were having fun. I am not complaining. No offence meant, that's just how it came across to me.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> -----

> > Jeremy Wrote:

> >

>

> > > At things like Goose Green festival

> > > (last year), it appeared to be a bunch of

> mates

> > > playing blues jams and a few covers they

> knew.

> >

> >

> > I hope you aren't talking about the music at

> the

> > Dulwich Festival Fair on Goose Green?

> >

> > We take pride in booking good musicians.

>

> Yes I was. But actually, upon reflection I think

> it must have been two years ago.

>

> They were fine, I had fun, and they looked like

> they were having fun. I am not complaining. No

> offence meant, that's just how it came across to

> me.

What band was it?

I've just looked over our running orders and the only band I can think it might have been from your description was a local band from five years ago who to the best of my knowledge no longer exist :)

dc Wrote:

>

> I understand the sentiment but I think you need to

> take into account the nature of the event. I've

> been on a number of governing bodies and voluntary

> organisations. On every one of them lawyers,

> accountants, architects, IT professionals etc have

> all given their time and their professional skills

> freely and without any thought of remuneration.

All the professions listed above are usually well-paid so they can afford to do some pro bono work. Musicians, on the other hand, rarely have any job security; income is erratic; time spent chasing fees owed is onerous; sick pay/holiday/maternity leave is non-existent, the list goes on.

Sue Wrote:

> I've just looked over our running orders and the

> only band I can think it might have been from your

> description was a local band from five years ago

> who to the best of my knowledge no longer exist :)

Five years ago??!! Maybe that's it! Shocking to think I could confuse 2012 for "last year", but hey. Anyway, "it's all good", as they say.

lightweight Wrote:

> Musicians, on the other hand, rarely have

> any job security; income is erratic; time spent

> chasing fees owed is onerous; sick

> pay/holiday/maternity leave is non-existent, the list goes on.

Again, I don't think anybody is expecting professional musicians.

Jeremy, you only get to carp on about it if you pay the piper - if your fun was free, it's only right to take it as it comes

for five or six years, rain or shine, local bands played at our annual street party, courtesy of the Goose.

They got little more than a couple of beers and our thanks.

and the Goose got nothing apart from the warm fuzzy feeling of having done something for their neighbours.

Live music makes a big difference to events like that, so good luck, gnulover, in your search for a live band for your street party.

civilservant Wrote:

> Jeremy, you only get to carp on about it if you

> pay the piper - if your fun was free, it's only

> right to take it as it comes

Not sure why this is aimed at me. I said I enjoyed the band, and was using it as an example of the kind of thing I might expect to see at a free local event. I am not "carping on", Sue specifically asked me to clarify.

Whatever.