Another terrorist attack....... Ariana grande concert

sweetgirl

I can't speak for the reliability of it, but screenshots of the account are circulating on social media. Search "twitter suspended terrorist account Manchester".

The Express has also picked up the story...https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/uk/808077/Manchester-terror-bombing-explosion-attack-Ariana-Grande-manchester-arena-ISIS-twitter/amp

Also making social media rounds:

22-05-13 lee rigby

22-03-16 Brussels attack

22-07-16 Munich attack

22-03-17 London attack

22-05-17 Manchester attack

22-07-17 ???

Can you see a pattern??

Are these ALL right? I spot checked a couple.

Weird. Make of it what you will.

There will always be utter bastards like this in the world, but we should remember that not one single terrorist organisation has ever succeeded in its stated aims through the use of violence and murder alone.

Israel is still there, Northern Ireland is still there, capitalism is still flourishing. America got past McVey. For decades people have thought that killing a few innocents would show how seriously they should be taken.

Ultimately, as long as all they do is kill and maim, we will continue to go on with out lives, never giving in to these people. Manchester joins the sad group of places scarred by savage hatred, but it will pick itself up and show the world what it - and the rest of us - think of those who believe this is a path to getting what they want.

And though it's a horrible way to look at it, it says volumes about how they've been curtailed that something like a pop concert is the only type of target they have any realistic chance of attacking.

Concerning social media, a friend of mine posted this elsewhere.

"I was watching as this happened last night and Twitter is becoming as much of a hinderance as a help in situations like these. People talk about fake news like it's dreamt up by media organisations - which it sometimes is - or kids in Macedonian caves, but it's plain as day that a large number of normal users derive some kind of egotistical satisfaction from playing journalist/detective and being first to the "story". The balloon theory came and went, mainly because a security guard at the venue told someone that is what it was. People are still telling parents there are 60 kids holed up in a Holiday Inn, they're not. There was a grid of missing people being shared, most of whom were never missing but their mates had posted their pic almost immediately. The Sun (obviously never a hotbed of accuracy) asked to use a picture purporting to be of dead bodies in the foyer and it wasn't even the same arena. All of which is incredibly shit if you're a parent looking on.

These reports led to inference and speculation on BBC and Sky, who were keen to keep up with the American networks that were ahead of the curve. The American networks were ahead in calling 1) a nail bomb 2) fatalities, because they don't care about due journalistic diligence and went with the if it quacks like duck approach. Anyone could quickly discern what had likely happened when pics of people in torn clothing and with shrapnel wounds started emerging, but there's a difference in confirming it. It's a dangerous precedent and could play into would-be attackers hands."

Other than that a random selection of atrocities happened on the 22nd of a month (and none that happened on other days of the month have been included in the list - e.g. London 7/7, NY 11/9, Paris 13/11, Nice 14/7) - No I cannot see a pattern.

robbin Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> huh?! I suppose that's one thing to be focussing

> your anxiety on.

huh?! That perfectly reasonable set of observations about social media were probably not either tj's only focus or a source of anxiety. It can indeed be extraordinarily heartless and potentially dangerous to relay rumours, which in these cases alas always include false ones.

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> robbin Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > huh?! I suppose that's one thing to be

> focussing

> > your anxiety on.

>

> huh?! That perfectly reasonable set of

> observations about social media were probably not

> either tj's only focus or a source of anxiety. It

> can indeed be extraordinarily heartless and

> potentially dangerous to relay rumours, which in

> these cases alas always include false ones.

Yes, thanks, that's basically it.

These are terrible events, and unspeakable for those involved. However, we should be grateful to the security services. This kind of attack is now very rare (far rarer than the IRA attacks when I was younger). We have not had anything like this since 2005. It has become hugely difficult for people to organise this sort of thing (even if this proves to be from a cell from which further atrocities follow).

Jeremy Wrote:

> Saffron Wrote:

> -----

> > Can you see a pattern??

>

> Erm... no not really!

Erm thanks, Jeremy...though to clarify, it was not a question I myself was asking! It was a quote making social media rounds.

It was just somethig I found interesting/weird, i.e. that someone had found this pattern at all. As robbin notes, there are sadly many other bombings not included.

I could have looked at all these dates for years and never come up with this. People are strange.

Conspiracies abound, no doubt.

There's posts on YouTube (mainly by Americans) within a short no. of hours after the attack claiming the Manchester attack is a hoax - challenging the 'way' people were evacuating the arena (bystanders were just stood there watching, but the poster didn't realise he was showing a clip from Victoria station as people ran there to get trains - so of couse there would be bystanders who were regular customers waiting for their trains wondering what the sudden panicked influx of people wa all about).

There's always someone going to say what happened is not real.

Otta Wrote:

> KidKruger Wrote:

> -----

> > There's always someone going to say what

> happened

> > is not real.

>

>

> A.K.A REALLY sad people with empty lives.

I suspect it's just a coping mechanism of sorts

A lot of it is just misguided tossers, the couple I saw relating to Manchester were prsented as fact with a "but I'll leave you to decide" finale.

Utter BS.

Even if they'd been correct, the 'facts' presented to back-up the assertion simply didn't support it !