How naff is it?

Winder

Winder Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> One sees the odd house with a poster in the window

> or a bill board in the front yard saying " VOTE

> for ****".

>

> Is this naff or should we all be doing it?

The use of the phrase "One sees...." is naff, isn't it?

jaywalker Wrote:

> No, it is alienated. That is not the same thing,

> and in this context it is entirely justified.

Ha!

Love the EDF, there's nowhere like it

steveo Wrote:

> Interesting that there must be some Conservative

> voters in London but they seem pretty much

> invisible.

We were just remarking on that yesterday when out cycling - nary a Tory poster to be seen (except one, for Zac Goldsmith, on a very, very expensive house near Richmond Park's Ham Gate). As you say, there must be plenty but for their own reasons they don't like to advertise their preference. Haven't I heard somewhere that this sometimes explains polling errors - Tory supporters are more reluctant to tell pollsters their intentions than supporters of other parties?

Winder Wrote:

> One sees the odd house with a poster in the window

> or a bill board in the front yard saying " VOTE

> for ****".

>

> Is this naff or should we all be doing it?

Used to be rows and rows of houses with Labour posters

back in the day in Swansea

I'd be thrilled if the display of a poster was the only thing that made the exterior of my dwelling look naff .

Though having googled the expression naff I'm not sure if poster display fits into this category .

Lots of definitions ,but I quite like this one

* Naff is polari (or palare), the gay urban secret language developed in London to ensure conversational privacy in public when talking about gay sex or insulting straight people.Naff is an example of an acronym - Normal As Fuck - and means drab, unfashionable, dull. By extension, it is a defining characteristic of straight people, who lack the style and swagger of the urban homosexual."

The bit of the South Circular leading to the Richmond Park left turn also has some Zac Goldsmith posters up. I would put one up but I don't want a brick through my window....

And Borky- what is selfish about not wanting to donate half your tax and national insurance money to free-loaders and their dodgy families, instead of entrepreneurs who actually create jobs?

uncleglen Wrote:

> what is selfish about not wanting to

> donate half your tax and national insurance money

> to free-loaders and their dodgy families

Which families were you thinking of? The Barclays, the Candys, the Hindujas, the Bransons, the Saxe-Coburg-Gothas, the Thatchers, the Kalanicks, the Bezoses...?

uncleglen Wrote:

> And Borky- what is selfish about not wanting to

> donate half your tax and national insurance money

> to free-loaders and their dodgy families, instead

> of entrepreneurs who actually create jobs?

Total spending on benefits in the UK comes to 23% of all public spending. Of that 23%, 47% goes on pensions (I assume even you aren't going to call pensioners freeloaders?). So that leaves around 12% of total spending on everything else - child tax credits, disability benefits, unemployment benefits etc. Even judging by your standards of "everyone who's not been here since Magna Carta is a scrounging freeloader I know because I met one in a pub once and he told me he was" let's assume at least half of those are people genuinely in need of DLA, JSA etc. Which leaves us, even when calculating by your own myopically hateful standards, with 6% of your tax and national insurance money going to "freeloaders". Now go and look up the definition of "half."

Or to pr?cis, you're talking bollocks.

Clearly the most effective way to reduce spending is to eliminate anyone over 65 in a one off budget rebalancing cull. Apart from reducing the pensions bill, this will solve the housing crisis as well as the NHS capacity issues.

Borky Wrote:

> Why do we not see any Conservative posters ?

>

> Obvious - Why advertise to the entire world that

> you are a greedy selfish prick that would benefit

> greatly from a neck shot and a shallow grave

Why? Posts like your post are why.

Strange how those who purport to be so caring and tolerant are often the exact opposite.