Forum Sponsors

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

http://www.ellyallen.com/

Glazer Delmar

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...106107108109110111112113114115116...LastNext
Current Page: 111 of 127
messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by diable rouge August 17, 12:22PM

Tut tut Meds, you missed an open goal there!...

Posted by Seabag August 18, 06:16AM

Sephiroth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That’s not his real twitter account tho is it?

I bet ‘real Ken Clarke’ follows it though. Wouldn’t it brilliant if he was parodying himself 😀

Posted by nxjen August 21, 07:18AM

BJ making an absolute tit of himself and by association the country. Jeremy Corbyn not doing much better by calling for a general election he doesn’t stand a chance of winning, in fact nobody does. I don’t like living through these interesting times.

Posted by diable rouge August 21, 10:43AM

He said there would be no more talks unless the EU agreed to remove the backstop, true to form he's already backtracked on that particular pledge...

Posted by malumbu August 21, 08:58PM

UK to reject high speed rail (damned continental idea) and with the reopening of the pits move back to steam power. Gunboat diplomacy next. Hopefully there there is also dynamite strategically placed in the Channel Tunnel too.

Posted by diable rouge August 23, 12:19AM

Posted by diable rouge August 28, 09:31AM

Wow, this is HUGE... [www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by Alan Medic August 28, 09:40AM

It is. But what happens next?

Posted by diable rouge August 28, 10:17AM

I'm guessing Corbyn's cross party meeting yesterday deciding to go down the legislative route to stop No Deal rather than the oft presumed VONC route straight after recess, spooked Johnson's junta into action. They want a VONC so they can play the People v MPs election card if they lose it.
By proroguing parliament for 5 weeks it severely limits the time to get legislation through before the next recess and not enough time after the Queen's Speech. However, they may have hit the prorogue button in haste according to this tweet...

Proroguing now would be a bit futile, since under s3 of the Northern Ireland Executive Formation Act 2019, if Parliament is prorogued by 4 September then it must be recalled within 5 days, for 5 days.

Even without my Remainy McRemain hat on, I would always back Grieve to outsmart Cummings when it comes to parliamentary procedure in the battle of the Doms...

Posted by peckman August 28, 10:29AM

IRS disgusting . Even more ridiculous that mps are on a summer recess then I read another one due due to conference season . How often do we read all police leave cancelled if there is a more emergency. Surely the same for mps?

Posted by JohnL August 28, 10:33AM

Boris is proroguing parliament at this moment

Posted by JohnL August 28, 10:37AM

There goes Stirling

[twitter.com]

Posted by peckman August 28, 10:37AM

I think he has just shot himself in both feet

Posted by Sephiroth August 28, 10:55AM

Picked a bad day to change my holiday money

Posted by peckman August 28, 10:57AM

Same here ! I hope you dont fly on 1st November

Posted by diable rouge August 28, 11:08AM

This is quite the statement from the Speaker, only good news for the Rebel Alliance.

Speaker John Bercow: “I have had no contact from the Government, but if the reports that it is seeking to prorogue Parliament are confirmed, this move represents a constitutional outrage.”

Hope they stick to the legislative route in Sept, if it looks like failing due to time constraints they can always press the nuclear VONC later...

Posted by Brulysses August 28, 12:31PM

Do not prorogue Parliament petition:

[petition.parliament.uk]

up to 85,000 as I write this.

Posted by intexasatthe moment August 28, 12:35PM

Thanks for that Brulysses.90,652 and rising

Posted by peckman August 28, 12:43PM

When would the debate happen though ? I really think this decision from boris will actually stop brexit .. ha ha ...

Posted by Loutwo August 28, 01:14PM

Brexit is now far less likely than ever before. I wonder if Boris has done this on purpose to create a Pinscher movement from the lagging remainers, so he can point fingers when Brexit doesn’t happen, call a GE, galvanise support to win a majority, and walk away from the whole Brexit debacle scott free.

Or something like that.

Louisa.

Posted by kford August 28, 01:25PM

Loutwo Wrote:
> Brexit is now far less likely than ever before. I
> wonder if Boris has done this on purpose to create
> a Pinscher movement from the lagging remainers, so
> he can point fingers when Brexit doesn’t happen,
> call a GE, galvanise support to win a majority,
> and walk away from the whole Brexit debacle scott
> free.
>
> Or something like that.
>
> Louisa.

I've considered this many times.

Posted by nxjen August 28, 02:38PM

Seems ironic that democracy is suspended to enable democracy “the will of the people”. Clearly a selective democracy.

Posted by JohnL August 28, 03:21PM

What is the point of a head of state that does nothing.

Straight home tonight or I'll be arguing all night the foul mood Boris has put me in smiling smiley

Posted by intexasatthe moment August 28, 03:50PM

Absolutely what Louisa and Nxjen have said .

Posted by JohnL August 28, 04:00PM

There is a protest at 5:30 outside Parliament if anyone feels like it.

I'm not in the right mood.

Posted by stepdown August 28, 05:35PM

Brulysses Wrote:
> Do not prorogue Parliament petition:
>
> [petition.parliament.uk]
>
> up to 85,000 as I write this.

Up to 550,000 now, sounds like Ruth Davidson is going to resign.

Posted by IlonaM August 29, 06:35AM

Posted by TheCat August 29, 08:12AM

nxjen Wrote:
> Seems ironic that democracy is suspended to enable
> democracy “the will of the people”. Clearly a
> selective democracy.

Unfortunately, it appears that very few people on either side of this debate actually give a f#*k about democracy. They just care about getting the outcome they want, whether that's leave or remain.

When leavers were trumpeting the need to respect the democracy of the referendum result, remainers would clutch at straws like 'it was only advisory' or 'it was only 52 percent'...democracy not really a prime concern.

Now, with the profoundly undemocratic parliamentary suspension, it's leavers clutching at straws trying to justify the suspension of parliament, similarly democracy not a prime concern.

Sadly shows how toxic this entire debate has become...very few (on either side) seem to care for process or principle as long as they get their preferred outcome.....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit was august 29, 08:22am by TheCat.

Posted by cella August 29, 08:56AM

Even if you believe that to be true, surely only one "side" has the greater good in mind rather than a quick financial gain the others have in mind?

Posted by diable rouge August 29, 08:57AM

TheCat Wrote:

> When leavers were trumpeting the need to respect
> the democracy of the referendum result, remainers
> would clutch at straws like 'it was only advisory'...

That was a very important point though, had the referendum not been advisory it would have been anulled due to the Leave campaign breaking electoral spending rules. The Electoral Commission's hands were tied precisely because it was ''only advisory''.

> Sadly shows how toxic this entire debate has
> become...

Very true, but this has been the doing of the Leave side from the word go. When we needed a Gov to try and unify the country behind a version of Brexit that reflected the closeness of the vote, which a lot of Remainers would've accepted at the time, we instead got May's red lines and the voice of Remain ignored and replaced with insults such as 'citizen's of nowhere', 'queue jumpers', 'enemies of the people' and so on. Now Johnson, despite promising to do the opposite, has managed to divide the country even more. Whatever the outcome it will take a very long time to heal this disunited kingdom, what's left of it...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...106107108109110111112113114115116...LastNext
Current Page: 111 of 127

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum