We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

http://avakitchens.co.uk

http://www.ellyallen.com/

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...118119120121122123124125126127128Next
Current Page: 123 of 128
messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by stepdown 08 October, 2019 12:54

keano77 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He should go go to the Supreme Court now and argue
> there’s no point asking for an extension because
> the U.K. can never leave the EU unless it
> constitutionally tears itself apart.

Wait... you think the Supreme Court can overturn an Act of Parliament?

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by pk 08 October, 2019 13:16

keano77 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> You U.K. can’t leave the EU because we can stop
> you.


except that they cant stop us and she's not saying they can

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by keano77 08 October, 2019 13:26

stepdown Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> keano77 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > He should go go to the Supreme Court now and
> argue
> > there’s no point asking for an extension
> because
> > the U.K. can never leave the EU unless it
> > constitutionally tears itself apart.
>
> Wait... you think the Supreme Court can overturn
> an Act of Parliament?

No stepdown. However if certain stipulations within an Act are “void due to impossibility” then the SC could agree that is the case.

My point is although the concept is mainly to do with Contract Law, the purpose of ‘forcing’ the PM to write a letter requesting an extension under the Surrender/Capitulation/Humiliation Act is to prevent the U.K. leaving without a deal.

However, if Merkel’s words are as reported (and that is being questioned) then the U.K. (as an indivisible entity) can never leave.

Thus, there is no point in requesting an extension. An extension to what. The U.K. is trapped in the EU and can never leave. It can only leave if it jettisons NI and if it did that it would no longer be the U.K.

In short, Boris would not be breaking the law because it would be impossible for a PM of the U.K. to obey it.

(Can I get away with that argument M’Lud?)

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by natty01295 08 October, 2019 13:33

It is worrying times Fear of *RIOTS*
Prices going up
Clothes going up
Job losses/Unemployment
Trade deals

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by diable rouge 08 October, 2019 13:43

Keano, step away from the Kool-Aid, it's addling your brain... smiling smiley

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by Alan Medic 08 October, 2019 13:52

Sephiroth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keano - that's absolute bobbins
>
> What she is saying is that "if we, Germany decide
> to leave the eu, we could without the problems the
> UK has"
>
> Not because the EU is forbidding them - but
> because of UK claim to Ireland. Germany doesn't
> have that. Thats' the comparison

I'm surprised you even believe what a source from No.10 said. It's probably Cummings. I really don't buy the shit coming out of Downing Street.

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by Sephiroth 08 October, 2019 13:56

"I'm surprised you even believe what a source from No.10 said. It's probably Cummings. I really don't buy the shit coming out of Downing Street."


Well, that's a very good point!

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by uncleglen 08 October, 2019 13:59

there will never be any agreement between the EU and the UK's Brexit because everything the UK wants from Brexit is NOT
allowed under the rules of the EU. Now Merkel is trying to stir up trouble by saying that NI should stay in the EU customs union....sneaky or what?
Brexit is making the EU machine face up to the fact that it is rubbish and does the poor people of the richer countries no good at all..the EU is a massive social and wealth distribution experiment but unfortunately it is the poorer people of the UK who have suffered most - but the majority of people of ED, and other well-off suburbs would not understand that as they have benefited greatly from the whole deal and expressed themselves with their over-privileged verbosity at every opportunity.

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by diable rouge 08 October, 2019 14:04

Alan Medic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm surprised you even believe what a source from
> No.10 said. It's probably Cummings. I really don't
> buy the shit coming out of Downing Street.

The problem is overly keen 'journalists' report this nonsense in order to get a scoop, without checking accuracy, legitimacy and applying any semblance of critical thought. They are useful idiots, being played, nothing more than propaganda conduits. Expect more of the same tactic until journalists start naming these 'sources'...

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by Sephiroth 08 October, 2019 14:07

there will never be any agreement between the EU and the UK's Brexit because everything the UK wants from Brexit is NOT
allowed under the rules of the EU.

Everything? really?

Now Merkel is trying to stir up trouble by saying that NI should stay in the EU customs union....sneaky or what?

Not sneaky and not new - just the same fact that has always been true that England doesn't want to address


Brexit is making the EU machine face up to the fact that it is rubbish

you have lost your mind - poor people exist in NI and Scotland as well you know - they haven't voted for this shitshow

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by pk 08 October, 2019 14:08

uncleglen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now Merkel is trying to stir up trouble by saying that NI should
> stay in the EU customs union....sneaky or what?
>

its what the people of NI wanted voted for in the referendum

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by JohnL 08 October, 2019 14:29

uncleglen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Brexit is making the EU machine face up to the
> fact that it is rubbish and does the poor people
> of the richer countries no good at all..the EU is
> a massive social and wealth distribution
> experiment but unfortunately it is the poorer

No that's Austerity

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by Hemingway 08 October, 2019 14:33

uncleglen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
it is the poorer
> people of the UK who have suffered most - but the
> majority of people of ED, and other well-off
> suburbs would not understand that as they have
> benefited greatly from the whole deal and
> expressed themselves with their over-privileged
> verbosity at every opportunity.

48% is not a metropolitan elite, just another cliched piece of bullshit from Brexiters. There's no substance just crap unconvincing cliches, deep in their hearts I think they know it too.

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by stepdown 08 October, 2019 14:37

keano77 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In short, Boris would not be breaking the law
> because it would be impossible for a PM of the
> U.K. to obey it.

Only, it isn't. Even if we accept "the purpose" of the act is as you say, nothing you raised impacts his ability to comply with the law.


uncleglen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> expressed themselves with their over-privileged
> verbosity at every opportunity.

The irony of this as a closing statement.

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by keano77 08 October, 2019 15:10

“Only, it isn't. Even if we accept "the purpose" of the act is as you say, nothing you raised impacts his ability to comply with the law.”

What if Boris wrote the letter and attached it to a carrier pigeon that regrettably didn’t make it out of England due to confusion during a pheasant shoot?

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by pk 08 October, 2019 15:23

keano77 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> “Only, it isn't. Even if we accept "the purpose"
> of the act is as you say, nothing you raised
> impacts his ability to comply with the law.”
>
> What if Boris wrote the letter and attached it to
> a carrier pigeon that regrettably didn’t make it
> out of England due to confusion during a pheasant
> shoot?

What’s the point of writing this rubbish?

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by keano77 08 October, 2019 15:37

You are worried about rubbish?

Tell me one thing that has been achieved since the Remainers won the Supreme Court case and Parliament was re-convened.

One thing please pk

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by JohnL 08 October, 2019 15:51

I think Merkel is saying the restrictions of the GFA mean NI must remain in a customs union

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by Sephiroth 08 October, 2019 15:53

"Michael from Dulwich" on LBC right now making a right tit of himself

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by pk 08 October, 2019 16:10

keano77 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You are worried about rubbish?
>
> Tell me one thing that has been achieved since the
> Remainers won the Supreme Court case and
> Parliament was re-convened.
>
> One thing please pk

parliament has had a (limited) opportunity to ask questions on brexit planning and yellowhammer and the country had an opportunity to hear the same

tell me one thing that makes talk about pigeons anything other than rubbish

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by keano77 08 October, 2019 16:24

“parliament has had a (limited) opportunity to ask questions on brexit planning and yellowhammer and the country had an opportunity to hear the same”

Wow!

“tell me one thing that makes talk about pigeons anything other than rubbish”

Treat it as an allegory pk - a device to simplify a broader matter. Stepdown is concerned that Boris must obey the law. What does the Act say about non-delivery? Perhaps you can advise

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by pk 08 October, 2019 16:30

keano77 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Treat it as an allegory pk

i'll treat it as pointless rubbish, thanks

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by keano77 08 October, 2019 16:33

You’re welcome

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by stepdown 08 October, 2019 17:24

keano77 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What does the Act say about non-delivery?

This may help you understand the Prime Minister's obligations under the act: [twitter.com]

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by keano77 08 October, 2019 17:36

Does it explain how Boris will obey the law but not ask for an extension?

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by diable rouge 08 October, 2019 17:43

keano77 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You are worried about rubbish?
>
> Tell me one thing that has been achieved since the
> Remainers won the Supreme Court case and
> Parliament was re-convened.
>
> One thing please pk

Sovereignty of Parliament over an Executive that tried to shut it down and silence scrutiny, i.e one of the constitutional pillars of our democracy. As achievements go that's quite a biggie.
As for parliamentary specifics, a number of Acts that otherwise would've been lost had prorogation not been annulled, one being on domestic violence...

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by stepdown 08 October, 2019 17:46

keano77 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does it explain how Boris will obey the law but
> not ask for an extension?

No serious analysis supports this as a possibility.

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by diable rouge 08 October, 2019 17:48

keano77 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does it explain how Boris will obey the law but
> not ask for an extension?

Suggest you read this, it's why Johnson/Cummings are now shitting themselves...
[davidallengreen.com]

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by Sephiroth 08 October, 2019 20:26

If keano and glen haven’t figured out they are rubes on the wrong side of history by now, it’s unlikely they ever will

(Confession: I briefly held out on the idea that keano might actually be open to evidence. I was wrong. So wrong)



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2019:10:08:20:31:33 by Sephiroth.

messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by keano77 08 October, 2019 20:45

diable rouge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> keano77 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Does it explain how Boris will obey the law but
> > not ask for an extension?
>
> Suggest you read this, it's why Johnson/Cummings
> are now shitting themselves...
> [davidallengreen.com]
> ng-words-in-the-scottish-case/

I don’t click on links. Is he a remainer?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...118119120121122123124125126127128Next
Current Page: 123 of 128

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum