Forum Sponsors

www.inshutters.co.uk

All Round Renovation

www.facebook.com/dulwichecogardening

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6162636465666768697071...LastNext
Current Page: 66 of 119
messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by JohnL 23 December, 2018 09:19

diable rouge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just leaving this here, courtesy of Santa Corbyn,
> delivered under the radar of the festive break.
> Perhaps Labour supporting Remainers will now
> finally wake up to what Corbyn has always
> wanted...[www.theguardian.com]
> /dec/22/remainers-condemn-jeremy-corbyn-pledge-to-
> push-on-with-brexit

It hasn't gone under the radar - it's exploded. Why did he need to say that,

Posted by diable rouge 23 December, 2018 12:38

JohnL Wrote:

> It hasn't gone under the radar - it's exploded.
> Why did he need to say that,

I said it was delivered under the radar, i.e. parliament in recess, long festive break etc, a 'good' time to bury bad news, probably hopes that by the time parliament convenes in the new year it will be forgotten about.
He didn't need to say it, but I'm glad he did, it might finally wake up his apologists who support Remain who've been kidding themselves he had some long-term master plan leading to a People's Vote. He doesn't want one, he's a Brexiter, always has been, always will be.

I hope everyone rests up and has a nice Christmas, because in the new year the shit is really going to hit the fan...smiling smiley

Posted by JohnL 26 December, 2018 10:08

Peace this Christmas LOL smiling smiley

But when Theresa May says remain and leave should give up their names and agree. Does she mean agree on her plan smiling smiley

Posted by diable rouge 26 December, 2018 12:43

Her God comments are worrying. Ties in with the Brexiter's mentality, all about believing in Brexit rather than actual facts...

Posted by JohnL 26 December, 2018 15:19

That troubles me - she believes she's guided by God then ?

I'm sure Blair went through a similar phase.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Posted by ianr 26 December, 2018 15:45

> Her God comments are worrying.

Your source please.

Posted by diable rouge 26 December, 2018 17:17

messageRe: Brexit Viewattachment
Posted by diable rouge January 01, 01:05PM

Gotta love a good pyrotechnic troll...smiling smiley

Happy Neu Year everyone!

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/file.php?20,file=315522

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was january 01, 01:06pm by diable rouge.

Attachments: Happy Neu Year....JPG (60.5KB)  
Posted by JohnL January 01, 02:30PM

Daily Mail blames Sadiq Khan as you would expect smiling smiley

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

And the Standard #

As the song There For You, by drum and bass artist Culture Shock was played, the London Eye was lit up to resemble an EU flag.

[www.standard.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was january 01, 02:36pm by JohnL.

Posted by cella January 01, 04:38PM

It was fantastic and exciting. Was also a brilliant way of welcoming all nationalities and reinforcing that London is open to all whether for business or valuing the contributions of many different cultures. It didn't feel particularly political to me. Well - maybe the flag ....a little. Great.

Posted by keano77 January 01, 05:28PM

The firework display was great and I donít have a problem with Kahnís welcoming message as such, although spending British tax payersí money on an EU-themed, London-centric message is questionable. Where were the other non-EU languages of all those nationalities who have made Britain what it is? Hindi, Urdu to name just two.

Compare Kahnís little European outlook to Dubaiís display. In English (the lingua franca) Dubai wished the world ĎHappy New Year from Dubaií

Thatís class.

Posted by JoeLeg January 01, 05:43PM

Keano, you really are easily impressed.

Sad, really.

I mean, Dubai? Thatís a place that you think we should be looking up to?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was january 01, 05:45pm by JoeLeg.

Posted by keano77 January 01, 06:06PM

I share your concerns JoeLeg on Dubaiís religious, political and institutional system.

However, in welcoming in the New Year, a new start, new opportunities, to put behind us the less attractive aspects of 2018 and seize the future anew, I see no harm in the universal message ĎHappy New Year from Dubaií

Kahn could learn much from that outward embracing message

Posted by diable rouge January 01, 06:10PM

Dubai, built from modern day slavery/exploitation of immigrants.
Happy New Year serfs... [news.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by keano77 January 01, 06:19PM

diable rouge Wrote:
> Dubai, built from modern day slavery/exploitation
> of immigrants.
> Happy New Year serfs...
> [news.bbc.co.uk]

How do you think Britain was built historically?

Posted by rendelharris January 01, 07:24PM

keano77 Wrote:
> The firework display was great and I donít have a
> problem with Kahnís welcoming message as such,
> although spending British tax payersí money on an
> EU-themed, London-centric message is questionable.

Seeing as the money came from London taxpayers, not all of Britain, and we voted 60% remain, it seems fair enough to me. Also the net cost to us (after ticket sales) is £2.3M, and the estimated tourism benefit of the display is £6.5M, not like it was being wasted.

Posted by keano77 January 01, 07:55PM

You miss the point Rendel.

When Auckland is the largest city to kick off the New Year celebrations, followed by Sydney, the celebrations represent The nations of New Zealand and Australia. They are not some parochial city event.

The London celebrations are broadcast to, and watched by, the world. It is Britain being showcased to the world. It should not be used for political purposes to say to the world Britain is crapping itself, please can we stay in the EU.

Posted by rendelharris January 01, 08:16PM

Are you going to tell Mancunians, or Glaswegians, or Liverpudlians, or Novocastrians, that London's NY celebrations represent the UK? Good luck.

You said "I donít have a problem with Kahnís welcoming message as such, although spending British taxpayersí money on an EU-themed, London-centric message is questionable." OK, I've just pointed out that it wasn't British taxpayers' money being spent, it was Londoners' council tax money (to our benefit), and as you don't have a problem with his welcoming message, we're all good. Happy New Year!

Posted by keano77 January 01, 08:28PM

On your figures 40% of Londoners should demand a substantial council tax rebate if a Remainer mayor is misusing their hard-earned cash for dubious political purposes.

Iím sure most of regional Britain would not be happy with Kahnís sucking up to the EU being being representative of their views

Posted by rendelharris January 01, 09:18PM

keano77 Wrote:
> On your figures 40% of Londoners should demand a
> substantial council tax rebate if a Remainer mayor
> is misusing their hard-earned cash for dubious
> political purposes.

I'd swear you said above you were OK with the message? And on your dubious logic, when the government spend however many tens of billions they've set aside to deal with Brexit, can I have a rebate on my income tax as I didn't vote for it?

> Iím sure most of regional Britain would not be
> happy with Kahnís sucking up to the EU being being
> representative of their views

Tough, to be honest - this is London, it was our money, our display, it reflected the views of the majority of our citizens and he's our mayor. If we don't like it, we can vote him out.

Posted by keano77 January 01, 09:43PM

I did say I was generally okay with his message. To acknowledge that many EU citizens have made a valuable contribution and Britain (not just London) is open to industrious types is something I agree with. Unfortunately he confined it to EU citizens, ignoring many other nationalities.

You seem to have difficulty grasping that Londoners are British on your distinctions above but never mind. Kahn is toast anyway and once his ULEZ scheme comes into force heíll be dead man walking re the 2020 mayoral elections.

Anyway, I wish everyone a very happy New Year. I fear weíll be disagreeing soon enough when malevolent forces ratchet up project Brexit Betrayal

Posted by cella January 01, 10:02PM

I very much hope he will be re elected. Looking at his very low grade Tory opponent it must be a strong possibility.

Posted by rendelharris January 01, 10:03PM

keano77 Wrote:

> You seem to have difficulty grasping that
> Londoners are British on your distinctions above
> but never mind.

Oh come on, you're better than that, surely? Or maybe you genuinely don't know the difference between monies paid by citizens of a city to their city government and the monies they pay to their national government, in which case it's you who has difficulty.

> Kahn is toast anyway and once his
> ULEZ scheme comes into force heíll be dead man
> walking re the 2020 mayoral elections.

59% of respondents in the last poll I saw supported the ULEZ within the CC zone, and the extension won't take place until after the elections, so I would think it will have a minimal influence on the 2020 poll. Khan has never had a negative popularity rating in any poll since becoming mayor, and has been consistently between 5% and 15% ahead of the Tories in the polls. You seem to be confusing what you wish was the case with the reality.

Posted by keano77 January 01, 10:35PM

I donít know. You keep quoting dodgy statistics from dodgy polls. Iíve never met anyone who has answered pollsters questions (or admitted to it) so it begs the question as to who answers such questions and the reliability of the answers.

Further you always quote figures to support your arguments that purport to show a majority in favour. Yet one of the main things the Brexit referendum showed is just under half the population do not understand, or refuse to accept, what a majority vote means in a democracy.

Assuming your figure of 59% in favour of ULEZ in the CC has any merit whatsoever you might want to ask yourself why people are calling it Kahnís poll tax (clue: £12.50 per day for certain vehicles in addition to the congestion charge from British people, not just British Londoners, will help pay for a lot of EU propaganda

Posted by rendelharris January 01, 11:27PM

Ah, so polls are "dodgy" because you don't know people who've participated in them, and yet your assertion that "people are calling it Kahn's [sic] poll tax" is some form of evidence? You surely must have something -really, anything - better than that?

Posted by keano77 January 01, 11:47PM

Of the 59% in favour you quote Rendel, how many owned and drove cars and were likely to be affected by the charge? Please tell.

Posted by Sue January 01, 11:51PM

keano77 Wrote:
> I donít know. You keep quoting dodgy statistics
> from dodgy polls. Iíve never met anyone who has
> answered pollsters questions (or admitted to it)
> so it begs the question as to who answers such
> questions and the reliability of the answers.

Well I quite often answer political polls, for one.

Posted by diable rouge January 02, 12:17AM

keano77 Wrote:
> diable rouge Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Dubai, built from modern day
> slavery/exploitation
> > of immigrants.
> > Happy New Year serfs...
> > [news.bbc.co.uk]
>
> How do you think Britain was built historically?

Modern day slavery. I know Brextremists want to transport us back to bartering and rickets, but most of us have learnt from history and don't want to see the bad parts of it repeated...

Posted by diable rouge January 02, 12:20AM

Sue Wrote:
> keano77 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I donít know. You keep quoting dodgy statistics
> > from dodgy polls. Iíve never met anyone who has
> > answered pollsters questions (or admitted to
> it)
> > so it begs the question as to who answers such
> > questions and the reliability of the answers.
>
>
> Well I quite often answer political polls, for
> one.

I used to get stopped by pollsters when I worked in Borough/Elephant, Mori are (were?) based in that area...

Posted by rendelharris January 02, 07:12AM

keano77 Wrote:
> Of the 59% in favour you quote Rendel, how many
> owned and drove cars and were likely to be
> affected by the charge? Please tell.

Ah, do you believe only affected drivers should be consulted on measures aimed at improving air quality? Presumably only those earning over £100k should be consulted on the top rate of tax? Perhaps only burglars should be consulted about sentencing guidelines?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6162636465666768697071...LastNext
Current Page: 66 of 119

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum