Forum Sponsors

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

Professional Carpet Cleaning at an affordable price - A & M Carpet Care

Glazer Delmar

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8384858687888990919293...LastNext
Current Page: 88 of 111
messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by robbin February 08, 03:28PM

JohnL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "They come from the EU and if you don’t have them,
> you can’t search people."
>
> Oooh maybe not one of my favorite brexit
> stockpiles - rubber gloves that is.
>
> [www.theguardian.com]
> athrow-stockpiling-rubber-gloves-from-eu-for-post-
> brexit-searches

Damn, I hadn't realised latex gloves aren't manufactured anywhere else in the world!

Oh, wait...

Posted by robbin February 08, 03:32PM

John, if you like latex gloves, you have to check this out!

[www.businessinsider.com]

Posted by Sephiroth February 09, 12:17PM

Man on @Channel4News just now, voted Brexit, then bought a retirement home in Spain, didn’t realise he’d lose HIS freedom of movement, wishes he could vote again, Remain this time.

- Do you think you might have shot yourself a bit in the foot.

- A bit. Yeah.

#jamoniberico

Posted by Alan Medic February 09, 01:20PM

My EU passport holding brother and his English partner retired to Spain last Summer. Haven't communicated much with them since but appears she has the right to stay now. Don't know the specifics.

Posted by robbin February 13, 05:59PM

[www.bloomberg.com]

Again, sorry that this hardly supports the hysterical doomsday narrative.

Posted by rendelharris February 13, 06:31PM

robbin Wrote:
> [www.bloomberg.com]
> /u-k-inflation-below-boe-target-for-first-time-sin
> ce-2017?utm_source=google&utm_medium=bd&cmpId=goog
> le
>
> Again, sorry that this hardly supports the
> hysterical doomsday narrative.

You do know that brexit hasn't happened yet, robbin? Inflation is dropping or holding station across the globe at present, not sure how anyone could interpret those figures as either indicating a positive or negative outcome.

"Don't jump in the sea with all your clothes on sir, you'll get unpleasantly wet."

"Well, I think you'll find that it's only five minutes before the time at which I plan to jump into the sea with all my clothes on, and I'm dry as a bone. Therefore your contention that jumping in the sea will get me wet is entirely invalid."

Posted by robbin February 13, 09:01PM

I understand your point, Rendel, but I think that's rather missing the point of Bloomberg's article.

There have been posts on here that have complained about substantial and inexorable increases in inflation in the UK. This latest news shows that to be a misstatement of the facts.

Posted by Alan Medic February 14, 07:53AM

No deal here we come! I think that may be the plan.

[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by Alan Medic February 14, 08:09AM

Anyone follow @J_amesp on Twitter? His take is quite scary.

Posted by JohnL February 14, 08:32AM

Goddard arrested again - surely as he's likely to re offend they shouldn't be allowing bail.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by JohnL February 14, 09:02AM

So if EU offered passports for a reasonable price (say £5K) who would consider it ?

It's £600K at the moment I gather smiling smiley OK for billionaires.

Posted by JohnL February 14, 09:36AM

WTO application rejected.

We can still trade but it's like a grinder slowly taking away everything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was february 14, 09:41am by JohnL.

Posted by JoeLeg February 14, 09:59AM

Alan Medic Wrote:
> No deal here we come! I think that may be the
> plan.
>
> [www.theguardian.com]
> icking-up-dust-little-sign-of-progress-in-uk-eu-ta
> lks?CMP=twt_gu

I think there’s certainly a lot of people who want a No Deal. There’s this image of us being this plucky little nation that always punched above its weight, and anyone who expresses concern is told they’re ‘talking down the country’.

There’s certainly a narrative being pushed in social media and parts of the press that the EU is bullying us and refusing to be reasonable. Personally I think it’s far more that the U.K. went into this far too early and has made a hash of it. I’m very uncomfortable with the way the groundwork has already been laid for the idea that this is STILL all the fault of the EU, and that we’d have a great deal if it wasn’t for those pesky kids in Brussels. I’m also really not sure I buy this narrative of there being lots of Remain voters who have decided that because of how the EU have ‘treated us’ We should go for No Deal, like they’ve had some kind of Damascene conversion.

I believe the ERG has wanted No Deal all along, as has the DUP, and a lot of the public simply believes either it’ll be ok in the end, and/or the medium term pain will be worth it.

I guess we’ll see...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was february 14, 10:02am by JoeLeg.

Posted by JohnL February 14, 11:04AM

That's because we've always pulled through in the past but they might get a shock. I'm beginning to give up on stopping it and just preparing an looking at what options to take when it hits (I wish I could get that Irish passport smiling smiley ).

Anyway the Dutch have a Brexit monster character now.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by robbin February 15, 08:34AM

Foil hats off...tin hats on...

Posted by JohnL February 16, 05:03PM

The ultra right wing brexiteers causing trouble in Haymarket today apparently if anybody feels like avoiding it.

Such idiots and to contrast the children had their march yesterday which was pretty peaceful I guess being as they're children smiling smiley.

Posted by JohnL February 16, 05:06PM

LOL Somehow this gives me a feeling of Schadenfreude

[www.standard.co.uk]

Posted by JohnL February 19, 11:59AM

Looks like Boles has been/will soon be deselected. There's a Leave campaign to deselect using the same facebook methods as the referendum to do this to a number of MPs.

He should resign from the Tories and keep the seat until the next general election IMHO.

Posted by JohnL February 19, 01:43PM

"But former Militant firebrand Derek Hatton, readmitted to Labour 30 years after being expelled, branded the seven “pathetic”."

Okay - I've entered a time loop and I'm back in the 80s aren't I.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was february 19, 01:44pm by JohnL.

Posted by Blah Blah February 19, 02:16PM

This for me is the last straw. Hatton back in the party (bear in mind he is now a property tycoon and lives in a luxury penthouse in Liverpool) meams I too am leaving the Labour Party.

Posted by rahrahrah February 19, 02:26PM

Is it just me that's actually starting to think, "let the house burn"? I'm so fed up with the 'project fear' nonsence, that a small part of me is starting to believe that we should crash out and let Boris et al be exposed as the con artists they undoubtably are. There is no good way out of this and it feels a bit like we'd be better just ripping the plaster off and rebuilding again.

Posted by JohnL February 19, 03:28PM

Matt Hancock just now "There will be enough medicines if everybody does what they need to do"
Matt Hancock April 2019 "There aren't enough - None of you did what you needed to do"

He really has a knack of inspiring confidence this guy smiling smiley

Posted by Loutwo February 19, 03:53PM

It seems the U.K. is fulfilling the post-empire prophecy of managed decline. We only punched above our weight previously because of our common market membership, not in spite of it. Few people alive today will have memories of living in post war economic uncertainty. A bankrupt country crawling out of debt. The idea we are a great nation punching above our weight is laughable in the context of Brexit. Without EU membership, I would hate to see what state this country would be in today. Ah well, you reap what you sow. I have a tin hat somewhere.

Louisa.

Posted by Siduhe February 19, 05:43PM

Blah Blah Wrote:
> This for me is the last straw. Hatton back in the
> party (bear in mind he is now a property tycoon
> and lives in a luxury penthouse in Liverpool)
> meams I too am leaving the Labour Party.

Same. I typed a longer response but then thought better of it.

Posted by Alan Medic February 20, 06:43AM

Seems the UK managed to f**k up potential trade deals with both China and Japan due to sheer stupidity. Meanwhile the media manages to focus on a teenage girl in a foreign country who is apparently a threat to the nation. To keep the story going, let's strip her of her citizenship. That will keep the great unwashed busy for a while.

Posted by Alan Medic February 20, 07:58AM

Robert Peston expects 4 Tories to join the Independents today.

Posted by JoeLeg February 20, 09:14AM

To be fair the trade deal with Japan is still on the table, although I suspect we’ve burned some goodwill. China is always tricky territory, both literally and figuratively, although Williamson has to know that which makes his comments even more bone-headed.

All that said, it doesn’t bode well for the idea that we’re good negotiators.

Posted by JohnL February 20, 11:23AM

Alan Medic Wrote:
> Robert Peston expects 4 Tories to join the
> Independents today.

3 so far.

Maybe one chickened out - or maybe another announcement later.

Posted by keano77 February 20, 11:41AM

It would be good fun if it was Theresa May

Posted by Sue February 20, 12:16PM

keano77 Wrote:
> It would be good fun if it was Theresa May

big grin big grin big grin

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8384858687888990919293...LastNext
Current Page: 88 of 111

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum