Uni, drink study or waste of time?

mockney piers

hee hee!

It's all so different these days. As one of the last beneficiaries of the grant system (loans were just being phased-in.. I think in my first year the loan was about ?500) I was allowed the luxury of going to university mainly because I had no idea what I wanted to do in life, to have a bit of a laugh and live away from home.

But now, the debt incurred means you have to think much more seriously about it. Would I go again now if I knew I'd be ?20k in debt at the end of it? Probably not to do a terribly useless degree like History, that's for sure!

My uni years weren't the happiest of my life, but it did put me on the path of the drinker you see today! ;-) Would like to go back and take it more seriously... Might actually do it, as have been considering a career change...

Wish I'd worked harder and appreciated the luxury of having so much time on my hands but I did enjoy college, the study and the drinking and the study of drinking. Very glad I did an applied degree (in design and media) though, many friends who took traditional courses left college feeling like they'd wasted time. I graduated in 1994.

A year later I had to forgo a place on a good MA course because of fees. Were that now I might have not even done the first degree. Boo! Nasty Government! etc

Ooh, i graduated in 94 too. more spooky.

I had a great time don't have too many friends left from there, about 5 of whom I'm still very close to today, but most old friends are still from where I grew up.

I've actually been giving alot of thought to doing a second history degree at some point, as I too feel I had no appreciation of the opportunity that all that time gives you. I don't really regret spending 90% of it in the pub and at least 1% tripping in sainsbury's.

my loan went on Sainsbury's sterling lager 2.6% proof and 9p a can!!!

Good God, you mean you never did the Norseman / Jaguar test?

The winner circa 1991 (most neat alcohol by volume per ?1) was won by 3 litre bottles of Davenports Best from Tesco.

Couldn't stand it though.

I wonder what happens if you play the same game today: Somerfield / Sainsbury / Tesco Metro / G&B / Thresher / Nicolas / Cheers

AnotherPaul Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> How many 2.6% cans does it take to get p!ssed?, am

> thinking that drowning must have been a very real

> risk.

At 9p per can.. who's counting?!

I worked in a call centre to support myself during the degree, then ended up with a degree....working in the same call centre. Brilliant! could have skipped the degree entirely.

But then I wouldnt have met all the good folks that i'm still close to. Or drunk so much. And then I'd be even more bitter! so it's just as well i've got the degree.

I think the attainment of a Desmond demonstrates a good university work/life balance and it to be congratulated. (NB this only applies to degrees with any reasonable level of difficulty eg sciences, engineering etc. With arts degress the candidate should always go 'one up' in order to maintain a basic level of respectability)

A Douglas, however.. not good..