The truth about the new charge for bulk item collection....

PeckhamRose

.... is, that the money goes to VEOLIA who insisted on the charge being made. Yup, the council is beholden to Veolia and not the other way round. I learned this at a meeting the other day. Just thought you should know too.

EDITED TO SAY

I WAS NOT THINKING WHEN I WROTE THE ORIGINAL POST CITING A ?200 CHARGE! Multitasking is a myth. Can't be done. Exhibit A. The council are charging though and it IS because Veolia demanded it. Sidhue, thank you. x

Veolia charges the council for what it does. The council pays for everything that Veolia does. The council has to decide what the ratepayer (us) will pay for additionally ie what the council will not pay Veolia to do and what it will pay Veolia to do.

The bulk household refuse collection was paid for by Southwark for a long time. Many councils have always charged (ie not subsidised) it. Several years ago the council decided that it would no longer subsidise the BHR collection but users must pay.

The balance in the decision is between the cost of clearing up after dumping (because of the charge) and the cost of the subsidy.

Good sensible post Sally, I'd much rather the bulky waste collection was charged separately than come out of the general subsidy i.e. council tax payments etc. Whereas everyone benefits from the weekly/fortnightly waste and recycling collections, not everyone uses the BHR, and there's also the added benefit of knowing that the items are disposed of properly and not fly-tipped somewhere...

Bromley charges per item , I think it is around ?20 per item. They also do not have wheelie bins and recycle boxes are open topped so rubbish is blown around. Family members living in Orpington are 'envious' of our bins and waste collection. It is a Tory borough and has been for years.

Unfortunately if you live in a shared block and people dump without registering for bulk collection - often there is no option than paying out of the service charge (I'd say its a risky thing to do though as can be seen as breaking the terms of the lease).

Pugwash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Bromley charges per item , I think it is around

> ?20 per item. They also do not have wheelie bins

> and recycle boxes are open topped so rubbish is

> blown around. Family members living in Orpington

> are 'envious' of our bins and waste collection. It

> is a Tory borough and has been for years.

Bracknell Forest is Tory and has been for years and their recycling and waste disposal is excellent....why do you people ALWAYS have to bring in your lefty agenda!

JohnL Wrote:

> Unfortunately if you live in a shared block and

> people dump without registering for bulk

> collection...

This happens a lot in rented properties when tenants leave, best to inform the landlord/letting agent so they can deduct the costs of clearing from the tenant's deposit...

uncleglen Wrote:

....why do you people ALWAYS have to

> bring in your lefty agenda!

Why do you always have to bring in your Islamaphobic, anti-semitic and anti-immigration agenda? A week or so ago you managed to get an anti-semitic comment into a thread on a dangerous window, so accusing others of dragging in agendas is pretty rich even by your utterly absurd standards.

uncleglen Wrote:

> Pugwash Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Bromley charges per item , I think it is around

> > ?20 per item. They also do not have wheelie

> bins

> > and recycle boxes are open topped so rubbish is

> > blown around. Family members living in

> Orpington

> > are 'envious' of our bins and waste collection.

> It

> > is a Tory borough and has been for years.

>

> Bracknell Forest is Tory and has been for years

> and their recycling and waste disposal is

> excellent....why do you people ALWAYS have to

> bring in your lefty agenda!

But pretty expensive:

https://www.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/bulky-item-collection/how-much-does-it-cost

rendelharris Wrote:

> uncleglen Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> ....why do you people ALWAYS have to

> > bring in your lefty agenda!

>

> Why do you always have to bring in your

> Islamaphobic, anti-semitic and anti-immigration

> agenda? A week or so ago you managed to get an

> anti-semitic comment into a thread on a dangerous

> window, so accusing others of dragging in agendas

> is pretty rich even by your utterly absurd

> standards.

You are a lying toad RH and whenever I see your name on a post it is SO predictable that I don't even bother looking. Go and tell your trolling lies elsewhere- Every post I have written is TRUE and as I've said before you will NEVER know what is going on while you are stuck in your lefty ED bubble!

uncleglen Wrote:

> You are a lying toad RH and whenever I see your

> name on a post it is SO predictable that I don't

> even bother looking. Go and tell your trolling

> lies elsewhere- Every post I have written is TRUE

> and as I've said before you will NEVER know what

> is going on while you are stuck in your lefty ED

> bubble!

Do you seriously have the nerve to claim you're not Islamaphobic, antisemitic and anti-immigrant? Because I can quote you chapter and verse if you like.

Just for fun:

Islamaphobia: last week the charming Freya Mickleson posted "Labour has turned London into the Middle Eastern shit hole it is today. I can only imagine those who are voting to remain are supporters of terrorism & would like Sharia Law implemented into our society." You responded, "Yes."

Antisemitism: two weeks ago someone posted that the owner of a derelict house was called xxxx but his real name was [something like] Jacob Rothstein. You posted "That last line tells you everything that's wrong about Britain and still is!"

Anti-immigrant: September 17th, you commented "We have attracted the lowest of the low to London."

These are all just examples in the last month or so, if I could be bothered to dip back into the festering cesspit that is your commenting history there would be many more. What was that about lying?