Recommendations for cycle jacket

malumbu

Had a couple of Gortexs in the past but not that impressed for the money. My Altura night vision has long since been waterproof and now ripped so not worth reproofing. Cut is nice. But looks like a commuting jacket when I occasionally venture out at weekends. And can be too warm too.

What do you recommend?

Was just thinking today how well my two cycling jackets from Mountain Warehouse have worn. Got a pink lightweight one and a yellow heavier duty waterproof one a few years ago and they are both still perfectly fine and have held up well in bad weather etc, especially considering how much cheaper they are than other jackets out there. My old Altura night vision was decent but eventually the lining disintegrated.

I'm very happy with my current budget Btwin 100 from Decathlon - light, warm, snug fitting enough to look almost like a racing jersey when on a serious road ride but also looks like a fairly normal jacket if just riding to the pub. The text on the website sells it a bit short; it says "water repellent", I've ridden with it for hours in the rain without any getting through, and "good for cycling in cold weather on short rides", my longest ride wearing it last winter was 93 miles in temperatures varying between -2 and +2 and (with suitable base layers) I stayed warm and comfortable the whole way.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/100-warm-cycling-jacket-black-id_8343186.html

Just read the reviews but whilst no doubt very good Rendell, all in French and German, so we don't want that rubbish as we fought two World Wars, a referendum and World Cup to make our own decisions.....

Actually may well give it a go - did you go for black or yellow? Yellow great at being noticed but gets filthy so quickly.

Experience of Decathlon is either brilliant, or rubbish, with fun mainly French staff and lousy stock control. I need to go in any case. And they have it in at Surrey Quays in both colours and my size too.

I went for black and slap a fluorescent Sam Browne over it if out at night. You're right, yellow filthies up very quickly in winter.

I rather like Decathlon for its weirdness - full-sized models of horses, tanks of water in which one can try out snorkels, what's not to like? Not too keen on the security though, had a bit of a turnup a few months ago with the doorman who wanted me to prove that my five-year-old Ultegra Di2 road bike, which they haven't sold for four years, hadn't been lifted off the rack (it was, as usual, filthy). Manager was very apologetic though.

Timely thread for me. I've had 2 Alturas over the past few years, almost by default, and have been kind of disappointed - fraying of the inside, zips that need to be fixed etc. Have been thinking of Decathlon and now my mind's made up.

robbin Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> a 5 year old Di2? I had you down as a

> traditionalist Rendel!

>

> Turns out you are an early adopter.

>

> I bet you have discs as well?

Not five years owned by me - I am a bit of a traditionalist but once you've tried electric...have discs on the MTB, I've yet to really see the need for them on a road bike if like me you almost never take the road bike out in the rain - rain is for MTBs or the turbo.

I'm sure that's true of Di2. I came within a whisker of electronic shifting on my last road bike, eventually deciding it would have to be on the next one (there's always a 'next one'!). I became a convert to road discs after a few perilous descents in the rain on my commute (and on longer runs) and now I'd never go back. For me they also feel safer and more stable and take less effort in the dry (the modulation is just better, I think). The fear of the turbo is what keeps me going out in the rain. The only glitch was I found my precious new bike wasn't allowed on the Etape because the UCI had temporarily banned them - not a good start!

Anyway, sorry - off topic. Back on topic - personally apart from the summer months I'd stick with the Night Vision (red doesn't get shabby as quickly as yellow) but adjusting base layers to suit the temperature. Otherwise, if you keep a look out for the Aldi bike specials, their dirt cheap jackets/soft shells are actually quite presentable and great value.