Took in a cat

RegMorley

We took in a cat that we assumed was stray approx. 4 years ago.

The cats owners liaised with our neighbour, and the cat was taken home a few times - each time however he returned to our flat.

We were not ready for a pet, but the cat was pushy and desperate - we only started feeding him when we noticed the amount of time he would spend trying to come in. It was not long after contact with the owners had vanished did the cat have an accident which required veterinary attention; it was fairly affordable, but our neighbour gave some money toward the bill.

4 years on and the cat is living with us very comfortably. Our vet suggested we get the name changed in the chip to our family name/address - however we don't know how to go about it, and we're wondering if anyone can offer any advice?

Thanks,

Reg

Have you checked that the neighbour has moved!? Have you spoken to them about taking in their pet?

If not, it's still their cat no matter how long it spends at yours.

I'm sure you had good intentions, but you should never, ever feed someone else's animal without their permission.

We lost a much loved cat because our neighbour wouldn't stop feeding him. Unless the cat is being harmed or starved, it's hugely irresponsible.

Hi bcam, like I said previously we took the cat to the vets after an injury, what I didn?t mention was the owners lack of interest to provide care during or after this.

I appreciate the sentiment and we would hate to have an animal taken from us. However the the first few weeks we would not let the cat inside or feed him; we were aware he was not our pet.

Several neighbours reported to the owners what had been happening, one neighbour volunteered to take the cat to them but to no avail.

We did not have direct contact with the owners, the cat was spending time at 2-3 others flats in the vincinty and were already reporting it?s whereabouts to the owners.

Your vet should have told you how to go about it - they can update details for you, or at least add a note to the chip - providing the feline chum has clearly been living with you for a significant amount of time like you say they have.

In some cases too the chip can be replaced.

We've had a similar thing although with the owners giving our beast over to us but never changing the chip details.

I must stress though this is purely in instances where the furry friend has clearly moved in or owners have moved away/given up pet. This does not mean people (not you RegMorley) can claim any friendly visitor.

I had a cat who decided that she wanted to be an ?only cat? and moved in with people across the road. I brought her home several times but she went back to the other people. After several months, she abandoned them and moved in with their neighbours and, with my permission, moved with her new family to Manchester. Cats do sometimes decide who to live with!

Thanks all for you input, it?s given us a lot of food for thought.

KalamityKel - do you have any vet recommendations? We?re regisetered to one in Peckham, and although they?re kind and very familiar with the cat the advice offered has been vague and I don?t know if they would add any info to the chip. Over the last 4 years we?ve been to 3/4 different practices - mostly emergency and it?s never felt like the right time to mention changing the chips details, although we have always explained he is a stray.

Singalto - This cat was initially very pushy, we would arrive home from work and he would be sat waiting for us and when we refused him access he would wait for hours on our balcony - we felt horrible guilt.

Have the owners moved? If not have you spoke to them? Maybe call celia hammonds for advice, Lesley mills is pretty good. Perhaps a visit from an animal official to speak to neighbours to find out if they want the cat if you feel you can't ask them yourself, at least if they are not wanting the cat, you can get details of the owners which is needed to change chip. If they do want their cat then it's just a case of giving it no attention or food. I know it's hard as my brother had same problem and the owner was quite rude to him, yet he has 6 cats already and didn't want her cat but as singalto said, cats do choose their owners. Good luck and speak to owners if possible .

Further to my previous advice - if you have the chip number and have exhausted all possible avenues at changing the info do certainly give petlog a go.

I recently updated chip info myself on a furry chum. Very straight forward and easy to do.

RegMorley, we've tried near enough all the local vets over the years but always return to the one up the top of Lordship Lane - Medivet (has been called many things in the past). Always easy to get an emergency appointment or give information at late hours of where to go/what to do.

You will always get mixed reviews from all places, but in my opinion Medivet is the best.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...