Sold a faulty item

GREECE

I'm not Admin, but please do not waste the non-urgent police line's time. This is a civil matter not a police matter, unless you believe that the item was stolen. Private buyers of second hand items have fewer rights as opposed to buying something from a retailer. THe CAB has a consumer helpline: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/if-you-need-more-help-about-a-consumer-issue/

You can also look at this helpful guide (last updated in Sep 2018) - https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/money/spending/consumer-rights/what-are-your-rights-when-buying-second-hand-goods

101 is for crimes that do not require an emergency response. It's not for vendor/buyer disputes. IlonaM is quite right, don't waste police time on commercial issues, they've got rather more important stuff to deal with.

ETA Actually find it unbelievable that - from the evidence of your other posts - you're trying to involve the police because you're unhappy with the quality of a dining table you've bought! Pack it in.

You should know that you have a responsibility to inspect items before you hand over money. The seller said the chairs weren't in good repair and the table was scratched so you should have checked carefully first.

I hope you told the police that the seller had actually pre-warned you but you ignored it

GREECE Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Jules and boo

> Rendall Harris

>

> Actually I showed my texts and the sellers texts

> and they still said I have a case

> Silly meandsilly police

> I'm sure you know better

Mad as a box of frogs. I know people who work in the police service, trust me they are not interested in your dining table.

Greece, if you can demonstrate there were faults that were not highlighted and that with the recommended repairs that the goods were not fit for purpose, you may well have a case for the small claims court. I do feel your pain and do wish you well in resolving this. One would hope that there was an element of goodwill on behalf of regular and long term forum members.

• 3 months later...

rendelharris Wrote:

> Still can't quite believe that someone went to buy

> a table and chairs, looked at them, bought them,

> took them home, then decided they weren't up to

> what they'd been told and called the police.

> Called the police. Sorry, that is utterly bonkers.

Great thread ☝️😃

rendelharris Wrote:

I know people who work in

> the police service, trust me they are not

> interested in your dining table.

:)) :)) :))

Just reading this thread again, that has really cheered me up after a shit few days :)) :)) :))

Civil not criminal law. Google your problem and plenty of advice about how to proceed. Only ring 101 when I am desperate and they take yonks to answer so I wouldn't waste their time. Write a letter, letters are great in this situation and tend to get more of a response than texts and e-mails. Trading Standards probably wont have resources to help (or even respond) and will generally refer you to the CAB. Ultimately Small Claims Court. Not a police matter unless there is harassment, threats, physical harm. But thanks for the distraction from Brexit.