Forum Sponsors

All Round Renovation

www.littleloud.org

www.hensonsecurity.com

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
messageRe: Chloresterol - how to lower without statins?
Posted by spark67 15 December, 2018 11:37

Exercise helped me... struggled with cholesterol levels around 7.9 to 8, someone recommended the couch to 5k running app, takes just takes 30 mins of your time 3 x a week over nine weeks. you just start with gentle walking and light jogging,in small bursts, building up to you running 5k at the end in 30 mins.
My cholesterol went down to 3.2 and still is. I kept up with the running after I finished the app and will now be running the london marathon next year 😀

Posted by yeknomyeknom July 21, 12:10PM

Lots of good tips for health including cholesterol in How Not to Die by Michael Greger.

Posted by Sue July 22, 11:08AM

yeknomyeknom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lots of good tips for health including cholesterol
> in How Not to Die by Michael Greger.

This excellent book is now my eating bible (not to lower cholesterol, just to help improve my general health which has been bad this past year). There is also a separate cookbook which gives a summary of the main book at the start.

I've been following the guidelines and recipes for a few weeks now, apart from having a dash of milk in my tea (and when eating away from home if there aren't plant based options that I fancy).

I like the fact that the diet recommendations in the book are all based on sound scientific research.

Also Dr Greger gives profits from the book etc to charity.

There is also a website:

[nutritionfacts.org]

Posted by Loutwo July 22, 11:46AM

I was warned not all fats are bad. The kind of saturated fat you find in dairy is obviously not good for cholesterol. I also don’t think prawns are very good in that department. But really, to lower cholesterol you just need to stick to a balanced diet. Unless you have a specific health problem.

Louisa.

Posted by Nigello July 22, 11:48AM

I had normal cholesterol and a normal ratio (good/bad) but extremely high triglycerides (500 (mg/dL). I had them rechecked and they were normal again. I think having had the blood drawn after a large meal skewed it, so if you're having high levels perhaps it is worth checking again before embarking on any drug regime? (Dr said the second test should be fasting but other sources said non-fasting was the right way to get accurate trig. readings, so no idea who is right!)

Posted by JohnL July 22, 12:01PM

So when do you lot get your blood checked - I had a 50 year check scheduled but I skipped it.

Do you need symptoms ?

Posted by natty01295 July 22, 12:23PM

What Are the Symptoms of Cholesterol Problems?
A high level of cholesterol in the blood doesn't have obvious symptoms, but it can increase your risk for conditions that do have symptoms, including angina (chest pain caused by heart disease), high blood pressure, stroke, and other circulatory ailments. Also:

Also:

Soft, yellowish growths or lesions on the skin called xanthomas may indicate a genetic predisposition to cholesterol problems.
Many people who are obese or have diabetes also have high cholesterol.
In men, impotence may be caused by arteries affected by excessive blood cholesterol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was july 22, 12:24pm by natty01295.

Posted by nxjen July 22, 01:33PM

“But really, to lower cholesterol you just need to stick to a balanced diet.”

Unfortunately, some people will develop high cholesterol even if they’re on a balanced diet, their bodies will manufacture it.

John L - I would say getting a blood test at 50 is a good idea. Better to get it tested before symptoms develop so if you have high cholesterol you are able to take steps to reduce it before it becomes a problem.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum