Are happy with Virgin Media Reliability? - Lordship Lane

MarkV

Hi there,

I'm moving to Lordship Lane next month and was wondering if anyone could comment on the general reliability of VM broadband. Occasional drops I can live with but not consecutive days as I work from home.

I see a few complaints online but people are more likely to post complaints than praise. VM seems to come 1st in many satisfaction and reliability polls. Have I just been unlucky in previous properties? Have they got better in recent years? Is the slower BT alternative a more stable compromise?

Thanks for your time

I'm in Adys Road and have suffered from fairly regular outages (perhaps once a month or so), although it seems to have become better over the last few months. Generally outages are a few hours, but we've had a couple of longer outages. There's a big thread somewhere on the forum that had a better track on this.

My understanding is that the infrastructure in the area is very overloaded which causes the outages. The customer support is beyond terrible and completely clueless. On the other hand when it's working (which is most of the time) the speed is very good.

Virgin are pretty poor. Keep in mind that they are basically not investing much into their cable service anymore because thanks to streaming services and digital TV it now has a finite shelf life. They're just milking the cash as it's in run off. That's why if you call them to quit and persist until the end of the call they will throw massive discounts your way e.g I asked to remove all TV services and landline and just keep the broadband and they ended up giving me a 70% discount and letting me keep the basic TV package (basically the ?100 TV XL package was discounted to about ?40 ppm)

• 3 weeks later...
3 of us have had terrible experiences on Dunstans Road... I ended up regularly emailing their MD and after being incorrectly told I couldn't leave as under contract (not correct) they refunded me a bit and said the outage was so regular they were saying people could leave... few weeks with NowTV and seems fine as have a BT line going into the flat. My neighbour also changed to BT. At times we had days of no connection with virgin.

I had Sky for years near Goose Green and rarely issues with broadband. After moving to SE21 last year we switched to Virgin and biggest mistake ever.. crap signal, box needs rebooting very regularly, low range - we needed a booster switch elsewhere in the house.. I could go on! Avoid if possible as there are better providers out there.

Which Virgin package are you on for broadband Frankito? I pay a lot to Virgin monthly for the works including TV, phone and broadband. I could pay less elsewhere I'm sure but in spite of all the complaints about Virgin, I don't know who else has fast broadband in our area and I'm not sure of taking the risk of changing. We have intermittent problems with Virgin.

What I've discovered today is that if you ask for a reduction on your bill and get it Virgin put you on a new 12 month contract so that if you threaten to leave you have to pay various amounts til the contract ends. Don't know if that's a new thing in view of the apparently high number of customers threatening to leave?

We?ve had Virgin since we lived in the provinces and they were called NTLWorld.

We stayed with them when we moved here six years ago because we were so pleased with them. They?re just as good here in SE22; if anything goes wrong their after-sales service is impeccable - they really seem to care!

EPB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We?ve had Virgin since we lived in the provinces

> and they were called NTLWorld.

> We stayed with them when we moved here six years

> ago because we were so pleased with them.

> They?re just as good here in SE22; if anything

> goes wrong their after-sales service is impeccable

> - they really seem to care!

You are very lucky indeed. My experience of Virgin Media on Barry Road could not be further removed from yours. Dreadful from a technical and customer service point of view. We eventually threw in the towel and went with BT who are slower on paper and have a rehash freeview TV service but are for where we live infinitely more reliable. In 3 years we have't had a single outage. It just works.