Garden plant advice needed

Nero

I want to know what kind of NATIVE plants to plant in pots in the shade. I have a horror of busy lizzies, pansies, and the like and want to attract wildlife too. Anyone have any ideas? There really is no sunlight, but it is not really dark either. Nero

Climbing Hydrangea is a shade lover, Jasmine also will grow in shade. The fabulous tree fern Dixonia (?) poss spelt with an cks likes a shady spot too (not exactly native) - why the native tag, depending how far back you go not that many plants are native.

What kind of plant do you want? Flowering, climbing, bushy shrub?

Oooh, I dunno about natives - my knowledge is too scanty, but for perennials try:-

What Asset said! And Geraniums are good particularly geranium phaem or phaem album; hellebores species and hybrid (the helleborus foetidus is a european native), aquliegias do well, epimediums (dog tooth violets) are good and also vinca minor (with pretty blue flowers). Euphorbia amygdaloides vr. robbiae is really attractive with lime green flowery bracts - and it spreads to cover the ground. And FERNS! I love ferns - some die back and some are evergreen. There is also a rather boring green plant called pachysandra that can manage under trees - no flowers but it does cover the ground. Some peonies can manage a fair bit of shade.

Camellias and pittosporum tobira tolerate shade. What else? Hydrangeas.

And Ivy - insects and birds love ivy - it can be good ground cover or a good climber.

I've run out of ideas now. Have fun at the garden center!

spymum

(Blog: Posh Mum)

Dear Nero,

The people in Alleyn Garden Centre (off Park Hall Road) are very very informative and kind. Why don't you pop along there for advice? It is always a pleasure to visit, they have lovely sleepy friedly cats lazing in the sun and are always really happy to just let the kids run about and even take time to explain to them about how to look after the plants - nothing is ever too much trouble. They have even delivered things to me that I have bought on a Saturday afternoon, and arrived back at my house before me.

I suppose I automatically think of them first in this situation because that very garden centre was nothing more than a concrete yard until last year when they opened and now it is full of super birds and insects. Every plant in there is in a pot and yet it is a complete oasis.

DM