Moving out of East Dulwich to release capital - but where to??

GrumpyOldGitLady

We've lived in East Dulwich for the past 24 years but need to move somewhere cheaper to release some money from our flat - we're thinking probably south of here, within commuting distance of London bridge (up to about an hour or a bit more) but it's very hard to find the right place which is also cheaper to buy. We're artists/ designers aged 55- 57 and would like to be somewhere in an arty / alternative town or large village. Several friends of ours have moved out and most have found it very hard to settle elsewhere after being in SE22.

We've seen lots of places which we know are NOT where we want to be eg Sevenoaks (great location but very stuffy and expensive) but would love to hear any suggestions of places which might be a better fit.

We would love to hear good and bad reports of places, thanks.

Update - still looking!! - What about Rye in Sussex- we like the feel of the town but what's it like to actually live there - does anyone know people who live there??

Brighton is quite a bit cheaper than here - even near the center. Or one of the nearby towns - Lewes, Worthing, etc. I'd definitely be looking in that direction if moving out of London.

I quite like Canterbury (but trains are into St Pancras, not LB). You're close to Margate and Whitstable too.

A friend had an exhibition recently in a gallery in Lewes, struck me as a lovely arty-ish place (more arts-and-crafts than hipster, which is not a bad thing in my view) with, to judge from the estate agents' windows, period two bed houses with a bit of garden available significantly cheaper than a one bed no garden round here.

My sister recently moved from ED to Faversham in Kent. Lovely town. Has everything you need. Close to the beaches and you can get into London in around an hour.

Alternatively, I moved from ED to Sydenham as you get more for your money and it takes an extra 3 minutes on the train to get to London Bridge than it did from ED, but you also have Lower Sydenham, Sydenham Hill, Forest Hill, Penge East and West as well as Crystal Palace all within walking distance so you won't be stuck when Southern Rail don't run like ED... and you can get a bus to ED in around 10 minutes...

Ann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I would second Brighton and Hove, not cheap but

> very good transport links. Also lots of great

> Victorian housing stock and 'The Lanes' area has a

> similar feel to Brixton market. Great place!

I think Hove has quite a different feel to Brighton, or certainly used to. More staid.

Can't imagine The Lanes being anything like Brixton market, but hey I haven't been to either of them for a while.

When daughter was looking for affordable property in Brighton within 3 months of looking prices went up by around ?10 - 15 thousands, Hove was not cheaper, eventually landed up with a 3 bed terrace house with massive garden in Durrington (just outside Worthing). Station 10 mins walk away, Direct to East Croydon and Victoria. House was less than one bed flat in Brighton.

Hove and Brighton very expensive

Hastings is brilliant, I have friends there who've moved from London.( they are all creatives,Artists, writers and designers)

lots of galleries 90mins to London Bridge or Victoria, my friends also go from Hastings to Ahford and get the fast train to St Pancras

Lewes is gorgeous but also very expensive for anything decent.

depends what you're selling in ED tbh....if its a small flat or a house if its a house you can afford Brighton and Hove and Lewes a flat probably not

• 1 year later...

I'm also following this post with interest. We're looking for something similar, ideally on the edge of or near a town with more space and at a lower cost than London. It's very hard to find anything we like- we're spoilt living in SE22 with everything on the doorstep.

I'd love to hear stories of people who have made the move.

Ann Wrote:

> I would second Brighton and Hove, not cheap but

> very good transport links. Also lots of great

> Victorian housing stock and 'The Lanes' area has a

> similar feel to Brixton market. Great place!

Love visiting Brighton :)

I moved with my family to The Cotswolds 6 months ago. To a small village of 1000 people. One pub and a post office/shop. The village primary school has 96 pupils. Cirencester is 4 miles away and a lovely Roman Town with all we need.

Love it.

O.A.Partygirl Wrote:

> I'm also following this post with interest. We're

> looking for something similar, ideally on the edge

> of or near a town with more space and at a lower

> cost than London. It's very hard to find anything

> we like- we're spoilt living in SE22 with

> everything on the doorstep.

> I'd love to hear stories of people who have made

> the move.