Cash or Card

DulwichFox

Lots of talk about usage of Cash and Cards.

Personally, I seldom use cards to pay for local shopping trips and never in the pub for beer or meals out in the restaurant.

I NEVER take cards out with me at night.

I get Cash out of the machine or bank and take enough cash out with me to cover my needs for the evening.

I must admit most people seem to use Contactless cards in pubs. They probably have very little idea of how much they are spending.

It has been said that some people carry no cash at all. So what about tipping in a restaurant after a meal. ?

I do occasionally use Apple Pay. I had a refund on my Barclaycard so it was in credit. They only way to get that credit back is to use the card.

I would hate to see a cashless society..

Some places do not take Cards. But some places are popping up that are card only.

DulwichFox

Almost all card now. I don't really track my spending just my balance (you can check every transaction online - but my rough balance is in my head).

When you pay by contactless there is a tip option but most bar staff leave it at zero (you see it if the transaction fails and you need to get them to do it again).

Actually if anything worries - my bank can checkout my pub crawl :)

Help-Ma-Boab Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Always carry cash. On more than one occasion the

> reader is down in the pub. Nobody else has cash,

> and no cashpoints nearby so muggins buys the

> drinks with the usual "We will transfer across the

> cash in the morning blah blah.." Still waiting for

> it!

Even I carry a tenner - but it's been the same tenner for weeks now.

I must be lucky with readers - but there was that day VISA went down last summer.

Hubby had a meal in a caf? recently and before he left home, he remembered that they did not take cards. I use cash and cards. Cash to get newspapers and magazines, cards in supermarkets and petrol stations. Cash in Fair Trade Centre.

I went to my ex works Christmas meal and the bill was between 10 of us with differing dishes, I was the only one paying cash for meal and tip. The poor guy serving us had to take 9 different cards and costs and add up if all monies totalled up.

I take out cash usually monthly and never go out without a minimum of ?10 for emergencies. I would hate to go to a cashless society. I have several elderly friends who like to pay by cash for their daily expenses as they are afraid of getting into debt.

Always have some cash on me, but use debit card as well.

Would hate to live in a cashless society. Only place I tap is on BA for food as they no longer take cash on board (except for charity donation), otherwise I prefer to put in my pin.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Lots of talk about usage of Cash and Cards.

>

> Personally, I seldom use cards to pay for local

> shopping trips and never in the pub for beer or

> meals out in the restaurant.

> I NEVER take cards out with me at night.

>

> I get Cash out of the machine or bank and take

> enough cash out with me to cover my needs for the

> evening.

>

> I must admit most people seem to use Contactless

> cards in pubs. They probably have very little idea

> of how much they are spending.

I think there has been a bit of a sea change in terms of some of the technology that's now available. I used to use cash almost exclusively, for exactly the reason you mention DF - easier to keep track of spending and feels a bit more "real" - less likely to splurge on things.

Now I use a Monzo card which I can upload with my monthly budget, and which gives me real time updates on my spending against budget. So I use contactless much more but feel like I get a much better sense of what I'm spending my money on from the Monzo app then I ever did when I used cash, including a really useful "will I have enough left over for the end of the month" feature. So I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that just because someone is using contactless, they aren't on top of what they are spending. They may be getting that information in a different way from what you are used to.

Tractorlad Wrote:

> I carry neither. 90% of my retail transactions

> are Applepay. If the bill exceeds the ?30

> contactless limit, I ask for it to be split and

> rung through as a multiple.

In the stats I think Applepay (and Android) count as contactless.

Ans I see a lot of people using it (I have my cards on my phone but I haven't used it as yet)

Tractorlad Wrote:

> I carry neither. 90% of my retail transactions

> are Applepay. If the bill exceeds the ?30

> contactless limit, I ask for it to be split and

> rung through as a multiple.

Apple Pay rules are different - the limit is way higher than ?30. I pay for my Sainsbury?s shopping with it every week and it?s usually around ?100.

Penguinpost Wrote:

> Tractorlad Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I carry neither. 90% of my retail transactions

> > are Applepay. If the bill exceeds the ?30

> > contactless limit, I ask for it to be split and

> > rung through as a multiple.

>

> Apple Pay rules are different - the limit is way

> higher than ?30. I pay for my Sainsbury?s shopping

> with it every week and it?s usually around ?100.

https://www.cultofmac.com/482745/retailers-scrap-apple-pay-transaction-limit-u-k/

Correct - I didn't know - useful for me as so often a few bottles of wine or some food top up comes to just over ?30

ed_pete Wrote:

> And when did you last write a cheque ?

Haven't even had a cheque book for 15 years odd - Halifax obviously stopped giving them out unless you specifically asked.

As a member of The Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) and Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB)

I regularly sell Raffle Tickets to raise funds.

Having collected money (cash) for ticket sales I need to pay the money collected and my own donations

and membership fees. The eaiest way is by cheque. I seldom actually use cheques for anything else.

Foxy.