Save the planet!

mmtrauer

Hi everyone

We're going to Southwark Town Hall (33 Peckham road) with our 10 month old on Friday morning (15th March) to support #Fridaysforfuture (the global school strikes started by Greta Thunberg). Please join us in trying to save the world for our children!

Love from Kaija, Michael and Tuuli

https://www.fridaysforfuture.org/

https://www.facebook.com/events/1994180377345229/

Do you actually agree with this:

"School children are required to attend school. But with the worsening Climate Destruction this goal of going to school begins to be pointless."

If you do, you really need to go to school.

Dave - the planet is at a tipping point. Personal sacrifice will not be enough, we need government to enact ambitious policy as soon as possible and to do this requires political pressure. Greta Thunberg has started an exciting political movement and we'd like to be a part of that. I think missing a day of school is more than justified in these circumstances but I understand you have different priorities and respect your opinion.

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Good stuff. Meanwhile VW have an ad with a large

> SUV and a dad driving a kid to school. The roads

> are empty (selling the lifestyle) and all the

> other kids are walking. Got a lot to do to win

> the masses over.

Just the one kid in the SUV? The dad probably thinks he's doing his bit...he's probably had a vasectomy!

The most effective way to affect the climate is to reduce consumption of meat, reduce food waste (actually one of the biggest causes of methane) and shake the consumers up to realise they actually have the power- they can choose not to buy washing liquid that is toxic to the environment (have you read your label?), not to buy plastic bottles of water and plastic ear buds and baby wipes that do not biodegrade (have you checked how many ED mummies don't actually care about that as it's more convenient to just wipe and throw away?).

That is all about education.

Taking our kids out of school really isn't the answer.

not the answer, but a way towards a solution

using peer pressure to make it uncool to do the things that j&b lists is probably the quickest way to get there

btw i was appalled at how much food the kids threw away every time i ate school dinner at a local school - taking them out of school for a day will def help cut back on food waste

Sure, reducing meat consumption and food waste is fantastic but these kind of individual choices alone will be too little too late. The problem is now so immediate that drastic action to create political pressure is needed. But if you don't agree with taking your kids out of school that's fine - there are plenty of other ways to be politically active!

Oh, thanks for that Peckman - Tooley st then! PS Less developed countries like India and China actually produce far less carbon per capita than countries like the UK. The responsibility is on us to lead the way and given we have relatively accountable democracies we might actually be able to make an impact!

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Good stuff. Meanwhile VW have an ad with a large

> SUV and a dad driving a kid to school. The roads

> are empty (selling the lifestyle) and all the

> other kids are walking. Got a lot to do to win

> the masses over.

What colour is the SUV? I?m in the market for one, but it?s got to be all shiny, like on the ad.

The one with 220 bhp and a DSG gearbox is on my shopping list.

Toot toot!

good choice of words!

one of mine is there... good for them.

I completely and totally disagree with the comment above that it's too little too late for people to make any dent in the issue themselves. Change your behaviour and you can - literally - change the world.

Don't leave it to our children to do.

sort yourselves out - cut out plastic bottles, baby wipes, recycle - or re-use......

Good on those who are making a difference, including the youngsters. I think, though, it goes much more than recycling, putting your compostable stuff in the brown bin, reusing supermarket carrier bags and the like. Real change means not buying in the first place, not driving and not - dare I say it- having as many children as you would want (rather than need). I *agree totally* that doing one's bit day to day (turning off the internet overnight or turning down the thermostat, etc. etc.) is important and necessary but over consumption and falling back on the excuse of convenience or "having earnt it" (the car, the holiday, the new phone, etc. etc) really needs to be tackled.

mine's just got back radiating holier-than-thou, but also admits to having had a great time

i gather that teens and tweens up and down the country were up all last night painting slogans on old bits of cardboard

good on them for sparking debate, and hoping it'll make them think harder about their own consumption habits

• 1 year later...