Moths again

Sue

They're back, aren't they.

Despite the zillions of pounds I spend on traps and papers, still they arrive to taunt me at around this time every year.

Anybody else spotted them over the last couple of days?

Hi Sue

I was so persecuted by them in my flat. I tried everything. They ate all my clothes, I had train tracks of where they had eaten into my bedroom carpet. Every time I saw one I responded like some crazy person.

I then bought this....https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pest-Expert-Killing-Clothes-approved/dp/B075LH2SDR/ref=sr_1_10?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1535037805&sr=1-10&keywords=Pest+Expert

and, after using a lot of the spray, I have not seen a single moth in well over a year. And I still have loads left just in case.

I wish you well!

Jacqui.

ps...was going to send this as a pm but your inbox is full.

Thanks.

I bought that a year or so ago, but the instructions make it impossible to use.

I can't remember why now but it's something like you have to go back into the room to do something after you have sprayed it?

I meant to phone them, but never got round to it.

I don't have a huge problem now as long as I keep on top of replacing the papers and traps on time.

I used to use spray canisters but I stopped when a parrot was staying with me for a year and now I don't feel I want to add to my current health problems by breathing in chemicals :(

Thanks re inbox, I keep deleting stuff but it keeps filling up :(

Despite being notorious for eating clothing, most moth adults do not eat at all. They do not have mouths.

The Larvae do the damage. Once developed they spend most of their short lives breeding.

The Females cannot fly, they just jump around. The Males Can fly.

DulwichFox

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Despite being notorious for eating clothing, most

> moth adults do not eat at all. They do not have

> mouths.

>

> The Larvae do the damage. Once developed they

> spend most of their short lives breeding.

>

> The Females cannot fly, they just jump around.

> The Males Can fly.

Yes. Most people know this.

However in order to prevent the damage caused by the larvae, it is obviously necessary to control the adults - the females who lay the eggs which become the larvae, and the males who fertilise the females.

ETA: The females do not "jump around", in my experience. They crawl very quickly on a surface, and can also hide in crevices and under furniture extremely quickly.

Jacqui5254 Wrote:

> Hi Sue

> I was so persecuted by them in my flat. I tried

> everything. They ate all my clothes, I had train

> tracks of where they had eaten into my bedroom

> carpet. Every time I saw one I responded like some

> crazy person.

>

> I then bought

> this....https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pest-Expert-Killi

> ng-Clothes-approved/dp/B075LH2SDR/ref=sr_1_10?s=ou

> tdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1535037805&sr=1-10&keywords=Pes

> t+Expert

>

> and, after using a lot of the spray, I have not

> seen a single moth in well over a year. And I

> still have loads left just in case.

>

> I wish you well!

>

> Jacqui.

>

> ps...was going to send this as a pm but your inbox

> is full.

I use this stuff...I find it really helps

We had moths for years and caught masses on the pheronome traps, little realising that we were attracting moths from miles around. Having talked to a lady in John Lewis, who said as long as we had carpets we would have moths, we changed all our flooring to wood and hoover the inside of the wardrobe fairly regularly, plus using the spray you can buy from DIY shops. But the best thing is the electrical tennis racquet. As soon as we got it the moths vanished. Killing them with this is much more humane than the sticky traps. And much more satisfying!

If it makes you feel any better Sue, the moths m in my house which of plagues us for almost a decade have completely gone as far as I can tell.

I removed all carpets and underlay, I cleaned and then bleached all the floors and the gaps between them I hoovered between all the floorboards to catch any dust that was resting on the joints, every single nook and cranny in the house has been hoovered bleached and washed, every bit of moth-eaten clothing / carpet / rug / curtain removed and now we seem to be in the clear.

wolis, yes! The electrical tennis racquet is brilliant! Very satisfying, I agree.

I got one last year from the pound shop to see if it worked. It did. Sadly when I went back to get one for each room, they were all sold out.

However, it only works if the (male) moth is actually flying around so you can zap it. And not much use for the female moths because you can't actually get at them with the racquet (unless you have some special technique?!)

KidKruger, I thought my moths had gone.

I got rid of all my carpets too, as you know.

Sadly I have a pile of rugs and hangings because of the work being done on the house, so need to make sure they have lots of moth paper things in between them :(

This year I've removed all my carpets and burnt all my clothes to defeat the pesky little buggers

Whilst it is working, my neighbours and the very occasional postie are still not used to my new Scandinavian attitude of walking around in the nip

On the plus side my bathroom is now a rather lovely sauna and Alpen has never tasted so good

I have had them

I use the company moth prevention online I not had any holes in cloths or carpet but when I put the sticky things out ever year they are on there but you can not stop them flying in

Every year after moth season I get carpets cleaned and wash wardrobe out

Every week I pull out all furniture and give good hoover including with little nozel and wipe skirting boards down

I only had a problem was I was sick and could not do my weekly deep clean for 3 weeks when I pulled her out little things were there I was like a mad woman settings off the smoke bombs spraying the lot but not had any crawling now

Friends think I'm mad deep cleaning every week but I enjoy it and moths do not munch away, my carpet man said best way to keep them at bay

teddyboy23 Wrote:

> Sue hope your health has improved but at that time

> was you feeling as sick has a parrot

Ho ho.

Sadly no it hasn't and I am sick of the sight of hospitals, but hey ho, onwards and upwards eh :)

I once had a moth invasion in my kitchen cupboards. After throwing away all non tin items and bleaching the cupboards I thought they were gone, but the critters came back. That's when I took out my trusted steamer. Blitzed the kitchen and have never seen a moth since!

I THINK (but stand to be corrected) that food moths, clothes moths and carpet moths are all different.

Steamer sounds like it did the trick, but I don't fancy steaming the whole of my house and anything made of wool silk or cotton :(

Yeah, we had horrendous problems with carpet moths but steaming did do the trick. The key is to get the eggs which are visible but are bloody hard to destroy. Steam, vacuum & repeat 2 or 3 times. No problems since.