Changing mobile network, how to retain contacts etc

Sue

I'm changing from BT (crap customer service) to iD (better deal, unless Carphone Warehouse goes bust) and my number is porting over on Wednesday.

I vaguely remember going through all this before, many times, but I can't remember what I did. It's an Android phone.

1. I presume my contacts are saved via gmail or whatever, but how do I get them onto the new Sim card, or don't I need to?

2. Is there any way I can save texts, or do I have to go through all the threads and make a note of anything I may need to know the date/contents of in the future?

3. Is there any way I can save my record of phone calls? (this may be important as I'm presently in the throes of a formal complaint to my insurance company). Or should I just take a load of screenshots of the call record?

Would I be better taking my mobile into a Carphone Warehouse shop and letting them do it?

I have very bad memories of somebody in "customer services" once talking me through it over the phone, and suddenly first my mobile was filled up with every contact who had ever sent me an email, except it wasn't because it wouldn't hold them all, and then he lost all the contacts (finally finding them again, to both our relief).

I am quite ill and very stressed out at the moment (pause for sympathy) and would like as far as possible a stress-free network changeover :)

I would be extremely grateful for any help, preferably in tech-free words of one syllable :)

Are you changing phone as well or is it same phone / new SIM and just a new contract?

If it's an new phone, some have a "smart copy" function - my new Google Pixel just needed connecting via a cable to my old HTC and it asked what you wanted to copy. All numbers, contacts, photos, call and text records were copied directly across in a few minutes.

You can download various apps that do it for you as well - search on Google Play store for "copy my data" and that does it over a wifi network or bluetooth once the phones are both online.

If it's a new SIM card in an existing phone, you can copy everything from the SIM to the actual phone memory itelf, then insert the new SIM and copy it back.

IME, phone shops are usually *rubbish* at doing this plus there's the issues of them potentially reading or seeing all your messages or photos, it's often better to just do it in the comfort of your home over a secure wifi and with a Youtube video for guidance - there'll be online insructions on it somewhere.

exdulwicher, no, same old phone, I've only just finished paying for it (interest-free credit, obv :)) )

New sim/new contract

I can't copy texts and phone records to a sim card, can I? I will deffo try looking for an app.

Not worried about the photos, they are saved on the phone/on the cloud somewhere.

I don't really care about people seeing my messages, there's nothing incriminating :))

I once had a mobile that when I got a new one, I just had to hold the new one over the old one and it copied everything from it. Amazing.

When I were young we didn't even have a phone :))

exdulwicher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> When I were young we didn't even have a phone

>

> I remember the days when you had to write down the

> name and number of everyone in your phone then

> spend the next day or so programming all the

> numbers back into your new phone!

Oh yeh, I've still got a list somewhere :))

I remember I once called my brother, he answered "Hello Sue", and I said "How did you know it was me?"

And someone telling me how useful texting was (I'd never heard of it) and asking bwhy the person didn't just phone.

Oh, and emails. Asking why people couldn't just write a letter.

Total Luddite. I saw the light eventually :))