Southwark council tax bills for 2019/20 - value for money?

trinidad

So our council tax bills from our local council has now hit the letter boxes of east dulwich on and beyond. My bill arrived on 14th March 2019.

London Borough of Southwark - increased just under the max od 2.99%

Greater London Authority - increased by 8.93%

Adult Social Care - percentage stay the same.

Total increase: 11.92% value for money, or something else????

In general yes good value. They won't be all things to all people at any one time but there are many good policies. I don't always agree with some of them and I certainly think they've been badly advised on some things to do with the many jewels in Southwarks crown - they are very developer led imho and also tend to bow down, initially at first, on Network rail land issues. On these occasions, engaged constituents, local organisations, campaigners etc have done stirling work in highlighting areas of concern and quite often turn them around, e.g. Historic buildings, the cinema, the area behind the station etc. A lot of people are unfortunately disengaged from politics and only get active when it's a concern close to their individual hearts, e.g. the Cpz. Like most LAs Soutgwark has been kept stripped of cash so any income generating schemes which can also benefit the community will have to be considered.

I've been impressed at how they've managed to keep the libraries open, while moving Grove Vale from the tiny building into a Peppercorn Rent site across the road, while extending the opening hours.

Compare that to Lewisham where the majority of libraries are now run by community groups.

Hi trinidad,

those percentages are on different parts of the bill. So the aggregate % rise is between those two rates you've listed. From memory works out as 4. something % rise.

Hi Bic Basher,

Grove Vale library was my idea. I started talking to the developer in 2005 before I was elected in 2006, and due to 2008 crashes, building cost inflation only completed in 2018 after I left office! But glad you like it.