Memsaab - price increases

colb2015

Been a coupe of months since I ordered here and have noticed there has been a substantial increases in prices. For example, the lamb Saag previously 7.25 is now priced at 8.55. And it's not just a few items, it's all across the menu. Aware rent increases and food cost can lead to price increases but this seems excessive. Going to look elsewhere. Any recommendations?

I am a regular at Memsaab.

I have expressed my disaproval of excessive price rises.

Since Curry Cabin closed down and Tandoori Nights has also been closed Memsaab has been extremely busy most nights.

I did suggest to them that Tandoori Nights would be reopening very soon (April ?) and they are likely to lose a lot

of custom to them when it does. Price rises are not going to help retain loyal customers.

Also my last 3 - 4 meals at Memsaab have a little disappointing, which I have had cause to complain about.

The staff were on each occassion very polite and apologetic.

I believe they are becoming a victim of their own success.

I have to say that Tandoori Nights has never been on my Favs list.

It has remained the only Curry Outlet I Never go to.

Expensive and IMHO bland tasteless food.

Restaurant is also crowded with seats too close together.

Jaflong Tandoori has really improved recently after it took a decline in standards.

Not been to Dulwich Tandoori for a while as it is always full. Very Popular.

Polite staff good food and has never disappointed.

Had a few reasonable meals in Mirash recently but they had all the lights off and I was told

thats how their customers like it. #How odd.

Surma ? Forget it. Empty restaurant when others are full . Cold average food. No food warmers, Rude Staff.

Foxy

Thanks for the detailed response Foxy. I did try Jaflong recently and was thoroughly unimpressed - that was for a takeaway. Maybe they have improved in the meantime.

Curry cabin was my go to Indian and when they closed I reverted to Memsaab, and have in the main been quite happy with their offering. Did they give any reason for the price increase? As it seems most prices have rise near 20%.

Tell them, see what they say and then report back on this forum. They are a business and charge what they consider a market rate - feedback from customers helps. Alternatively if you like it there just put up with the higher prices. On prices you will find Catford a lot cheaper. If you want to go upmarket and pay silly money then Babur in Honor Oak - very nice but shockingly expensive. I'm always a bit surprised that people complain about high prices - it's East Dulwich and your pubs charge a pretty penny too.

Hi Kerry2015

Never got a clear answer to price rises in Memsaab. I did not make too much of an issue about it.

Both Jaflong and Mirash are very dependent on whether or not the owners are present.

The food in both can vary greatly due to that.

Curry Cabin was my regular sit down 15+ years ago. It was also my favourite T/A until it closed.

I was using Curry cabin back in 1972 when it first opened and was there on its last night with the Curry Club.

Foxy

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Tell them, see what they say and then report back

> on this forum. They are a business and charge

> what they consider a market rate - feedback from

> customers helps. Alternatively if you like it

> there just put up with the higher prices. On

> prices you will find Catford a lot cheaper. If

> you want to go upmarket and pay silly money then

> Babur in Honor Oak - very nice but shockingly

> expensive. I'm always a bit surprised that people

> complain about high prices - it's East Dulwich and

> your pubs charge a pretty penny too.

Over the past 40+ years I have been to Dozens of restaurants in South / South East London

including Babur back in 80s when it was very exclusive and not just trendy.

I was in the Himalaya Catford a few months back. It was Dreadful. One of my favourites in the 70's

I'm not too concerned about prices. I'm not poor. I'm a bit frugal careful with money.

Foxy

In our experience the food in Surma is very good (and not cold) and the staff friendly. We have eaten there a few times lately.

The food in Memsaab is also good and the staff friendly, but it's a bit disconcerting the way they lurk by the door and grab you as you are passing.

We reckon it's to stop us going to Surma (depends which direction you are coming from, obviously :)) )

• 2 weeks later...

We appreciate the feedback we receive from our valuable customers as this helps us to improve our service and know about our customers expectations.

We greet people by saying hello, handshake or waving hand and our intention is to respect others. We believe a healthy relationship starts with mutual respect. We try our best to treat everybody equally and fairly and attempt to accommodate everyday as much as possible. We always endeavour to serve all our customers time efficiently however, sometime it becomes difficult during busy time when waiting time might be longer. We acknowledge and appreciate the patience and support from our customers.

We are trying our best to provide best services, delicious food and friendly atmosphere. We use fresh and authentic quality ingredients for the food we prepare because it provides better taste and outcome. We do not use processed or precooked food.

However, sometime other aspect of the service may have an impact such as rent and rate increasing. The current market value has increased along with all the expenditure. As you aware that the rent is a big issue in this area which makes it difficult for business to continue or sustain a business. We are trying our best in every possible way to keep our standard and keep everything at a reasonable level for everyone in this competitive market.

Thank you everyone again for the feedback and support.

Kind regards,