New butcher in Dulwich Village

Moovart

For those carnivores in Dulwich there is a lovely new butcher in Dulwich Village called Proud Sow. Worth a visit for very delicious meaty produce and also some good cheeses. They have been trading for a long while in Crofton Park and this a new branch.

It has a website - you could google it.

But in summary - its on Dulwich village, at the moment the queues are way shorted than William Rose, and yes it does other meats not just pig related. Can't comment on relative quality as I don't eat meat but others in my family have found it good.

If you are prepared to drive 5 minutes then supermarket in Rosendalr Riad - just in parade of shops after Rosendale Pub does all organic Meat - certainly very good quality and the butchers all know alot.

The butcher in village is a coulle of doors down from Hane Newby or roughly whete newsagent used to be - upu can't drive thru village at moment but can park and walk - water probs.

FYI the place on Rosendale is open Sundays, as is The Butchery in Forest hill. Proud Sow do nice things, as do F&H. W.R is fun, local and not particularly expensive. It really depends what you like or buy.

I?m currently waiting for a Heritage grazed Sussex downland Belted Galway, to be hung long enough to get the 3 rib of beef I?m after. I?m about 40 days away, but when it?s ready , it?ll be worth the wait.

Get to know your butcher is my thoughts. Ask what?s coming in, plan some things around that. Or just buy a chop or two when it takes your fancy.

Mail order wise. I use Philip Warrens of Launceston in Cornwall. Moorland grazed Red Devon?s rib of beef, dry aged in a salt chamber for 5 weeks , then popped in the post for a next day delivery. It?s pretty awesome.

cn150 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> will it be better than Flock & Herd or WR? Will you have to

> queue on Saturdays like you have to at WR on LL?

F&H & WR have staff with a high level of butchery knowledge, and although they have queues they get through them quickly. Proud Sow?s staff don?t have to deal with a queue, they also don?t have the same level of knowledge.

Today I was on a mission for caul fat (it?s the lacey stomach fat used to wrap meat for faggots, sheftalia, things like that). F&H regretted they didn?t have the right lamb parts in this weekend for that, but often would stock it. WR didnt have any, ordering in advance a possibility. Proud Sow had absolutely no idea what it is, they did offer me some goose fat though. I know it?s not an everyday item, but a professional trained butcher knows this stuff, and Proud Sow?s staff just didn?t.

By the way, TFC in Camberwell stock caul fat on their meat counter as standard, so if anyone else is planning sheftalia for the BBQ that?s where to go :)

nPoxyaF.jpg