Are pigeons getting smarter ?

TheArtfulDogger

Today, whilst making a cuppa, I stood and watched a pigeon fly up to a bird feeder, pull off a vertical twist in mid air and whilst slowly flapping its wings like a giant humming bird proceed to hover next to the feeder and start eating out of it. At the same time other pigeons were waiting underneath for spillage.

I thought the squirrels were supposed to be the smart ones but I suspect they have been training other animals as well.

Has anyone else seen this in their garden ?

Sadly I wasn't quick enough to capture it on film

Perhaps an excuse as to why TheCat has never caught one.....

Pigeons are considered to be one of the most intelligent birds on the planet and able to undertake tasks previously thought to be the sole preserve of humans and primates. The pigeon has also been found to pass the ?mirror test? (being able to recognise its reflection in a mirror) and is one of only 6 species, and the only non-mammal, that has this ability. The pigeon can also recognise all 26 letters of the English language as well as being able to conceptualise. In scientific tests pigeons have been found to be able to differentiate between photographs and even differentiate between two different human beings in a photograph when rewarded with food for doing so.

http://www.urbanwildlifesociety.org/UWS/GeeWhizQuizAnswers.htm

Wood pigeons are interesting and try various ways in getting food out of the feeders not designed for them. They now seem to have made a home on the birdbath, not so clever as they crap in it. Feral pigeons are vermin so I will leave that one there. Collared doves make occasional appearances. Apparently very rare 100 years ago. Will link to the naturewatch thread on the ED site.