Forum Sponsors

All Round Renovation
xxxx
Professional Carpet Cleaning at an affordable price - A & M Carpet Care

www.wickhamsecurity.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by JohnL May 10, 12:36PM

It's not the royal family that's insulted - gathering from my twitter and real life conversation too it's many PoC.

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by hpsaucey May 10, 01:04PM

Off topic slightly but he's a pants presenter.

HP

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by civilservant May 10, 01:32PM

TheCat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> civilservant Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > anyway, people who trouser taxpayers' money
> must
> > accept the risks that come with that
>
>
> for example...like accepting that you will be
> mocked if you are a member of the royal family?smiling smiley

quite, and as i pointed out, they do take it in truckloads in The Windsors (which is Ch4, not BBC, sorry) and Spitting Image and elsewhere

DB quoted as saying: "Minutes later I was alerted by followers that this royal baby was of course mixed race and waves of panic and revulsion washed over me... What had I done? I needed no lessons on the centuries slurs equating simians and people of colour. Racism at it's basest."

where has he been these past few years, i wonder, that he 'needed to be alerted'?

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by fishbiscuits May 10, 01:34PM

It was obviously intended as satire of the royal family. In a democratic country, it's perfectly valid that we can openly question what value this inherited privilege, and associated ceremonial duty, really adds to our society.

To most of us, being mixed race is not even vaguely noteworthy these days. As far as I'm concerned, kids of mixed heritage are not "mixed race children", they're just kids like any other. If he's of a similar mindset, and a racial slur is absolutely the furthest thing from your thoughts, it stands to reason that you might not immediately realise the connotations.

So yes... extremely ill-judged, and with hindsight it seems obvious - so his employers had every right to discipline him. But I have no reason to believe it was an intentional racial insult, and I am certain his apology is genuine.

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by pk May 10, 02:22PM

TheCat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> pk Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > malumbu Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > >
> > > Oh I do miss the time when we could be more
> > open
> > > in taking the mick out of the Royals.
> > >
> > >
> > and in being racist, presumably?
> >
> > classic white (I'm guessing) middle aged (I'm
> > guessing) male (I'm guessing) arrogance,
> thinking
> > that they're best placed to tell everyone the
> > reality about racism - whilst clearly not giving
> a
> > sh*t about/ridiculing those affected
>
>
> WOW...and you're claiming its 'other' people who
> are prejudiced....?????
>
> your hypocrisy it astounding.

there's no hypocrisy there, thanks

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by TheCat May 10, 03:35PM

pk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TheCat Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > pk Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > malumbu Wrote:
> > >
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > >
> > > > Oh I do miss the time when we could be more
> > > open
> > > > in taking the mick out of the Royals.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > and in being racist, presumably?
> > >
> > > classic white (I'm guessing) middle aged (I'm
> > > guessing) male (I'm guessing) arrogance,
> > thinking
> > > that they're best placed to tell everyone the
> > > reality about racism - whilst clearly not
> giving
> > a
> > > sh*t about/ridiculing those affected
> >
> >
> > WOW...and you're claiming its 'other' people
> who
> > are prejudiced....?????
> >
> > your hypocrisy it astounding.
>
> there's no hypocrisy there, thanks


A watertight reposte.....

I concede to your infallible logic

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by pk May 10, 03:58PM

TheCat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> pk Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > TheCat Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > pk Wrote:
> > >
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > malumbu Wrote:
> > > >
> > >
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> >
> > >
> > > > -----
> > > > >
> > > > > Oh I do miss the time when we could be
> more
> > > > open
> > > > > in taking the mick out of the Royals.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > and in being racist, presumably?
> > > >
> > > > classic white (I'm guessing) middle aged
> (I'm
> > > > guessing) male (I'm guessing) arrogance,
> > > thinking
> > > > that they're best placed to tell everyone
> the
> > > > reality about racism - whilst clearly not
> > giving
> > > a
> > > > sh*t about/ridiculing those affected
> > >
> > >
> > > WOW...and you're claiming its 'other' people
> > who
> > > are prejudiced....?????
> > >
> > > your hypocrisy it astounding.
> >
> > there's no hypocrisy there, thanks
>
>
> A watertight reposte.....
>
> I concede to your infallible logic


thanks, I'm glad you concede

I guess that you realise that there's no logic in what you said so the logical response is indeed to dismiss it out of hand

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by pk May 10, 04:19PM

"the centuries slurs equating simians and people of colour. Racism at it's basest.Ē

ďThe picture in context as presented was obviously shamefully racist.Ē

"I am aware black people do not need a white man to tell them this.Ē

D. Baker 2019

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by Mark May 10, 04:46PM

Here is Danny Baker's statement, I think it's best read in full rather than bits of it being pulled out to sway biased points of view:

"I chose the wrong photo to illustrate a joke. Disastrously so.

"In attempting to lampoon privilege and the news cycle I went to a file of goofy pictures and saw the chimp dressed as a Lord and thought, 'That's the one!' Had I kept searching I might have chosen General Tom Thumb or even a a baby in a crown. But I didn't. God knows I wish had.

"Minutes later I was alerted by followers that this royal baby was of course mixed race and waves of panic and revulsion washed over me... What had I done?

"I needed no lessons on the centuries slurs equating simians and people of colour. Racism at it's basest.

"But it was a genuine, naive and catastrophic mistake. There is of course little media/twitter traction in such a straight-forward explanation. The picture in context as presented was obviously shamefully racist. It was never intended so - seriously who on earth would 'go there'?"

He added: "Anyway I am now paying the price for this crass and regrettable blunder and rightly so. Probably even this final word from me will extend the mania. ('Dog whistle' anyone?) I would like to thank friends on here for their kinder words and once again - I am so, so sorry."

Edited to Add:

After reflecting on his comments the day before, Baker added: "I would like once and for all to apologise to every single person who, quite naturally, took the awful connection at face value.

"I understand that and all of the clamour and opprobrium I have faced since. I am not feeling sorry for myself. I [messed] up. Badly.

"I am aware black people do not need a white man to tell them this. Deleting it immediately and apologising for the awful gaffe I even foolishly tried to make light of it. (My situation that is, not the racism involved.) Too late and here I am."

[www.bbc.co.uk]

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by pk May 10, 04:52PM

Mark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think it's best read in full rather than bits of it being pulled
> out to sway biased points of view:
>

so what's the bias that you're suggesting the I (presumably) suffer from?

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by Mark May 10, 05:10PM

Everyone has biases and they're not all bad, you don't have to "suffer" from them.

I wanted to give people the full picture so they can make their own mind up. I don't really care what your biases are as long as they're not hurtful, discriminatory, inflammatory etc but it sounds like you're after a fight, I'm not.

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by pk May 10, 07:29PM

Mark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it sounds like you're after a fight, I'm not.


if someone calls someone out as being biased (or implies the same) and the someone asks why, I canít see how the person who asks the question is the one whoís after a fight

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by TheCat May 10, 08:03PM

pk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TheCat Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > pk Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > TheCat Wrote:
> > >
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > pk Wrote:
> > > >
> > >
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> >
> > >
> > > > -----
> > > > > malumbu Wrote:
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> >
> > >
> > > >
> > > > > -----
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Oh I do miss the time when we could be
> > more
> > > > > open
> > > > > > in taking the mick out of the Royals.
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > and in being racist, presumably?
> > > > >
> > > > > classic white (I'm guessing) middle aged
> > (I'm
> > > > > guessing) male (I'm guessing) arrogance,
> > > > thinking
> > > > > that they're best placed to tell everyone
> > the
> > > > > reality about racism - whilst clearly not
> > > giving
> > > > a
> > > > > sh*t about/ridiculing those affected
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > WOW...and you're claiming its 'other'
> people
> > > who
> > > > are prejudiced....?????
> > > >
> > > > your hypocrisy it astounding.
> > >
> > > there's no hypocrisy there, thanks
> >
> >
> > A watertight reposte.....
> >
> > I concede to your infallible logic
>
>
> thanks, I'm glad you concede
>
> I guess that you realise that there's no logic in
> what you said so the logical response is indeed to
> dismiss it out of hand


Sure. So let me use your logic to comment. You're no doubt a classic black (I guess), woman (I guess)...therefore always wanting to play the victim and emotively tell everybody else how they should be living life.....

For clarity people, I think the above statement is disgusting. But it applies the same logic which pk used in his/her opening gambit......

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by pk May 10, 09:12PM

>
> Sure. So let me use your logic to comment. You're
> no doubt a classic black (I guess), woman (I
> guess)...therefore always wanting to play the
> victim and emotively tell everybody else how they
> should be living life.....
>
> For clarity people, I think the above statement is
> disgusting. But it applies the same logic which pk
> used in his/her opening gambit......

It doesnít follow the same logic at all

I didnít describe anyone as a classic white man

I described feeling entitled to determine what is and isnít racist probably from a position of little direct experience as classic white middle aged male arrogance on the subject of racism, like comparing what the guy who posted it on reflection described Ďutterly racistí to calling monkey nuts monkey nuts

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by TheCat May 10, 10:28PM

You described the poster as such. Don't Try and hide from it....

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by pk May 10, 10:35PM

TheCat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You described the poster as such. Don't Try and
> hide from it....


Itís there for all to see, maybe you got too outraged before you got to the second line?

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by TheCat May 10, 11:35PM

Cryptic words but you're a cuuuunt.......


We can all do that

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by TheCat May 11, 12:16AM

pk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > Sure. So let me use your logic to comment.
> You're
> > no doubt a classic black (I guess), woman (I
> > guess)...therefore always wanting to play the
> > victim and emotively tell everybody else how
> they
> > should be living life.....
> >
> > For clarity people, I think the above statement
> is
> > disgusting. But it applies the same logic which
> pk
> > used in his/her opening gambit......
>
> It doesnít follow the same logic at all
>
> I didnít describe anyone as a classic white man
>
> I described feeling entitled to determine what is
> and isnít racist probably from a position of
> little direct experience as classic white middle
> aged male arrogance on the subject of racism, like
> comparing what the guy who posted it on reflection
> described Ďutterly racistí to calling monkey nuts
> monkey nuts

It isn't racist becuase my guardian mates say it isnt.....

Pk...you can deny as much as you like...when you say

classic white (I'm guessing) middle aged
> > (I'm
> > > > > guessing) male (I'm guessing) arrogance,
> > > > thinking
> > > > > that they're best placed to tell everyone
> > the
> > > > > reality about racism - whilst clearly not
> > > giving

There's no getting around that......thats prejudiced......

Feel free to again deny it.....your a hypocrite....accept it....

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by pk May 11, 12:26AM

TheCat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cryptic words but you're a cuuuunt.......
>
>
> We can all do that

Nothing cryptic

Classy response tho

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by TheCat May 11, 12:35AM

pk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TheCat Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Cryptic words but you're a cuuuunt.......
> >
> >
> > We can all do that
>
> Nothing cryptic
>
> Classy response tho

I like how you didnt respond to the multitude of rational responses, you chose the one pisstake...speaks volumes.....

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by TheCat May 11, 12:37AM

You've tried and tried to avoid the truth......

Nicely done....

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by pk May 11, 12:38AM

TheCat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> pk Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > TheCat Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Cryptic words but you're a cuuuunt.......
> > >
> > >
> > > We can all do that
> >
> > Nothing cryptic
> >
> > Classy response tho
>
> I like how you didnt respond to the multitude of
> rational responses, you chose the one
> pisstake...speaks volumes.....

But I did respond to pretty much all your other reponses?!

Feel free to have the last word, Iím out

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by TheCat May 11, 12:42AM

I will have the last word... you're probably a good person, but a non-thinking person. By targeting white, older people you've shown prejudice.....


Dress it up however u want.....



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was may 11, 12:44am by TheCat.

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by DulwichBorn&Bred May 11, 09:18AM

As someone who is mixed, I found it quite offensive. Did he post photos of a monkey for the other royal births? If someone posted that photo to replicate the birth of my child, I would not be laughing. It just wasnít funny. I call my child a cheeky monkey so itís nothing to do with not ever being able to use the word monkey. Itís a case of who is saying it and in what context. A stranger who doesnít know me and who is white calling me a monkey, is different to say my mum calling me a cheeky monkey. The whole going to the zoo to see monkeys line is just silly and not relevant nor the songs as my friends and I used to sing each other the monkey birthday song. The issue is, he chose an online platform to post a stupid photo that could be seen as quite prejudiced to a mixed couple. He isnít a personal friend or a relative. As someone who is in the public eye, he needs to be a bit more considerate.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was may 11, 09:19am by DulwichBorn&Bred.

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by seenbeen May 11, 12:36PM

Now the police are investigating a tweet that DB posted...as if they haven't got enough to do.

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by Maybaby May 11, 04:24PM

If it wasn't directed at you, your second hand offense is irrelevent.

I am of mixed heritage, and I couldn't give a monkeys!

This does seem like much ado about nothing. If people weren't so obssessed with social media, I wonder if it would be as big of an issue.

I don't think it was funny, however, it didn't seem racist.

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by DulwichBorn&Bred May 11, 06:12PM

Given that Prince Harry made a request for the media to be respectful towards Meghan when they were dating and he voiced his upset at the prejudiced comments made towards her, I donít think that photo was appropriate. I doubt they would find it amusing given the abuse she has endured from trolls due to her mixed heritage. Thankfully a lot people seems to be in agreement that the post was made in bad taste (judging by most of the comments when the photo was posted)so that in itself is reassuring.

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by fishbiscuits May 11, 08:01PM

DulwichBorn&Bred Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Given that Prince Harry made a request for the
> media to be respectful towards Meghan when they
> were dating and he voiced his upset at the
> prejudiced comments made towards her, I donít
> think that photo was appropriate. I doubt they
> would find it amusing given the abuse she has
> endured from trolls due to her mixed heritage.
> Thankfully a lot people seems to be in agreement
> that the post was made in bad taste (judging by
> most of the comments when the photo was posted)so
> that in itself is reassuring.

Yeah I've not spoken with anyone who doesn't agree that it was in bad taste.

I think where people are divided is on whether they believe he intended the racist connotation (and indeed whether his likely intentions are even relevant)

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by DovertheRoad May 12, 06:45AM

I suppose it could it have been some form of subconscious racism. As someone pointed out, you don't have be racist or have racist intent to say a racist thing. If you grew up in the 1950s/60s/70s you were surrounded by that shlt even more overtly than now. Wouldn't surprise me if it was lurking deep in the psyche as a result. People can adopt modern values but unlearning some of that inherited racism takes concious work. At least for some from that environment. BUT thats no excuse and I'm struggling to give him any benefit of the doubt. It was terrible judgment. If we want to change things zero tolerance is the only way. He deserved to go.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was may 12, 06:47am by DovertheRoad.

messageRe: Danny Baker sacked
Posted by Seabag May 12, 02:20PM

I like Danny Baker as a broadcaster, and in the past when he was on BBC Radio London, his shows verged on genius.

However, thereís always been this balancing act, a verge of chaos with his way of broadcasting (and I include his Twitter feed). He prided himself on not conforming, not turning up with a running list of how his show would run, all based on his past ability to deliver, mostly or much of it off-the-cuff. And for years he pulled it off, he had form and could deliver on the day and of the moment. In some ways he was a dream ticket for producers, though I suspect a nightmare for others. He was a broadcasters, broadcaster.

But itís a Ďlive by the sword, die by the sword situation. Baker prides himself, styles his reputation on nuance and the power of words, and words are there to illustrate thoughts and visualise them. He was trading on his knowledgeable and knowing ways, and within the world he created, he was king. Sadly though here heís hung and swung by his own petard, his own standard.

The litmus test is wether Baker would himself have been understanding and/or forgiving if member of the establishment he lampoons with such regularity ( he admits he has a file of stock images to do so) had made such an error of judgment. Iím fairly sure heíd have been taken (rightly) to task, and Baker knows this.

But is Baker a racist? Iím not sure wholly, but the post on Twitter hit all the notes of that category. Though Iím not sure if Ďracistí is a 100% binary thing. I think most people in the high percentile Ďdonít want to be perceived as racistsí though there are deep seated and ingrained tropes in the world that we work hard on removing, both from society and ourselves.

In this and other incidents it turns out thoughts to ourselves, in a Ďthank f**k I didnít do thatí and maybe itís a light shone on a before we even moment, where we reflect and pause before we open our mouths, or post about such things.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum