Forum Sponsors

Pippa's Guardians

www.inshutters.co.uk

http://www.ellyallen.com/

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
messageRevisiting local restaurants
Posted by DovertheRoad May 16, 06:55AM

After a weird period when Lordship Lane became destination, the past 5 years has seen it firmly back in family / dormitory territory. Most restaurants are empty Mon to Thurs and seem to survive on weekend trade.

The places that do best and which will survive have loyal, repeat customers. What are the magic factors that make you return?

messageRe: Revisiting local restaurants
Posted by Seabag May 16, 07:07AM

Hunger, wine and loneliness.

With a measure of nosiness and laziness thrown in.

Posted by Captain Marvel May 16, 08:01AM

You should line your stomach first and maybe get a dog?

Posted by Help-Ma-Boab May 16, 09:11AM

Remember Inside 72. I hazily do. Halcyon days.

ETA: They did food.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was may 16, 09:12am by Help-Ma-Boab.

Posted by TheCat May 16, 11:23AM

Im reminded of that song "Deliveroo killed the restaurant star"

I stay at home now and order in mid-week from decent quality restarants (not every night of course!)...so to be fair the kitchens might be doing a steady trade throughout the week, but with no one in the restaurant?

Posted by Sue May 16, 11:25AM

Help-Ma-Boab Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Remember Inside 72. I hazily do. Halcyon days.
>
> ETA: They did food.

Yes! Their burgers were good smiling smiley

Posted by DovertheRoad May 17, 05:46AM

I'll try again. What makes a local favourite? Why do some restaurants that do perfectly decent food not attract repeat custom?

Posted by Sue May 17, 08:21AM

DovertheRoad Wrote:
> I'll try again. What makes a local favourite? Why
> do some restaurants that do perfectly decent food
> not attract repeat custom?

Which restaurants are you thinking of that do decent food but don't attract repeat custom?

Posted by JohnL May 17, 10:17AM

DovertheRoad Wrote:
> I'll try again. What makes a local favourite? Why
> do some restaurants that do perfectly decent food
> not attract repeat custom?

I'm mainly a pub rather than restaurant customer but location, ambiance, who the other customers are and staff all play a part, design and layout even ?

Posted by diable rouge May 17, 10:29AM

What happened to Bonne Bouffe?...

Posted by DuncanW May 17, 11:11AM

Lots of new restaurants have opened in Peckham during that time, many of them are very good. There is only so much trade to round.

Posted by DulwichFox May 17, 11:19AM

diable rouge Wrote:
> What happened to Bonne Bouffe?...

It is now a Japanese Restaurant called MONKATSU and seems to be very popular.

Posted by Wimpole May 17, 01:28PM

diable rouge Wrote:
> What happened to Bonne Bouffe?...

Good example. The food was decent! And the people that ran it were decent too. I guess it didn't wash it's face. I think you need to be more geared to regular trade. Franklins is a perfect example of this. Obvs a neighbourhood staple and very well run. Food is good. But the casual bar at the front is now just as popular and keeps things ticking nicely.

Posted by rupert james May 17, 01:47PM

Or perhaps there is not as much loose money sloshing around ED as people believe to keep eating out.

Emperors clothes and all that

Posted by tomskip May 17, 02:02PM

We eat out as a family once in a blue moon partly because we are rarely all together but also, yes, because of the cost! I'd love to earn what you lot are earning.

Posted by DovertheRoad May 17, 03:51PM

rupert james Wrote:
> Or perhaps there is not as much loose money
> sloshing around ED as people believe to keep
> eating out.
>
> Emperors clothes and all that

I've seen it become wealthier. Especially when renting a 2 bed flat now costs £1500 pcm and the average 4 bed family home costs close to £1M. But yes - still has diversity of income for sure.

Posted by Hemingway May 17, 04:49PM

We eat out about once a month, slightly under, still plenty of restaurants on my East Dulwich, Peckham and even Camberwell list that we haven't been to yet. Repeat customers must have limited taste or eat out all the time.

Posted by Sue May 17, 07:14PM

tomskip Wrote:
> We eat out as a family once in a blue moon partly
> because we are rarely all together but also, yes,
> because of the cost! I'd love to earn what you lot
> are earning.

Obviously it's more expensive if you have children, but you can eat out quite cheaply in East Dulwich, particularly if you don't bump up the cost with drinks.

Franco Manca has great pizzas for example, with top notch ingredients (admittedly the toppings are a little sparse, but they make up for it with flavour).

Franklin's bar snacks are also great value, eg a fantastic huge bacon sandwich with really good bacon.

Also Meat Liquor's burgers.

Admittedly if you want to go to a "proper" restaurant you will pay rather more, but surely you would anywhere?

Not quite sure how a restaurant is actually defined, but Monkatsu has yummy food and isn't expensive. They also have a children's menu, I think.

Oh and btw I am a pensioner (if that is still a term in common use) so I don't have shedloads of money, but I do like to eat out big grin I just accept I then don't have the money to spend on other things!

Posted by redjam May 18, 01:30PM

I generally like trying new places but there are certain restaurants I go to regularly either because the kids like them (e.g. GBK), the food is great (the Palmerston RIP) or I like the atmosphere (Yama Momo or Meat Liquor). But I do think the Peckham restaurants are more interesting so tend to go there - maybe familiarity breeds contempt, I don't know. Bonne Bouffe was perfectly nice but the one time I went there was hardly anyone else there so sadly that put me off going again - I hate sitting in half-empty places. So sometimes I think restaurants get into downward spirals for no good reason, which is a shame.

Posted by natty01295 May 18, 09:47PM

KFC
MCDonalds
Burger King
Pizza hut
Dominos
Frank and bennys in Surrey quays
Wetherspoons

Posted by TheCat May 19, 09:11AM

Well...perhaps not answering the question. But went to a restaurant call Forza Win in Peckham last night. Absolutely excellent. Don't let the hipsterific location in an industrial estate put you off. Food top notch. [www.forzawin.com]

Posted by Seabag May 19, 12:07PM

Iíve thought about this. If I repeat custom anywhere, then itís usually a lunchtime thing.

In the evening when Iím home, Iíll not generally eat out, and if I do it wonít usually be local on the Lane, but once or twice Iíll meet someone at Franklins or The Palmerston.

I eat out in the evening about two or tree times a week, and lunchtime around 4 - 5 times a week.

But then it is part of my job, which isnít local mostly.

Posted by Henry_17 May 19, 12:34PM

Perhaps TOO popular for their own good eh Fox?

DulwichFox Wrote:
> diable rouge Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What happened to Bonne Bouffe?...
>
> It is now a Japanese Restaurant called MONKATSU
> and seems to be very popular.

--------------------
Henry

Posted by Henry_17 May 19, 12:36PM

Butter crunch and saltiness is what will get me back OP

--------------------
Henry

Posted by TheArtfulDogger May 19, 02:43PM

I find that I am more likely to repeat custom at a restaurant if they have a menu that changes, there was a great gastro place over in Wandsworth that changed its complete menu daily, with a few favourites also available (this is different from places that have a core menu and add specials on a regular basis)

You never knew what was on till you walked in, therefore it made eating there an experience rather than choosing from the same menu and running out of things to try.

In terms of pub food, I regurally frequent a few because their menu is fairly static and what they do, they do very well. So when I fancy a burger or pizza or whatever, I know where to go not to be disappointed and have a decent wine that won't break the bank at the same time.

Personally I think that variety is the spice of life when it comes to eating out, but the ability to fall back on favourites is always a good option.

It always reminds me of someone I used to know who rang the Chinese to be told their order as it was always the same and they never varied , that would drive me nuts as I like to experience new flavour combinations on a regular basis.

I do find what is now on offer locally pretty amazing and consider myself lucky to live so close to it as when I moved here you could get anything to eat as long as it was curry, kebab or pizza

Posted by KidKruger May 19, 03:28PM

What TAD said !

Posted by Sue May 20, 09:11AM

Revisited Monkatsu last night and again had a delicious meal.

Why revisited? It was open relatively late on a Sunday and we had just got back hungry, has good and good value food, and is just round the corner from my house.

Posted by fishbiscuits May 20, 01:15PM

The area has definitely become wealthier. But there are also many more families with young kids.. so exactly the type of people who will rarely eat dinner out, but will often get takeaways. Weekend breakfast/brunch/lunch is still busy anywhere half decent.

Peckham has a somewhat younger population, combined with a more "trendy" eating/drinking scene, so it stands to reason that it will be a bit more lively.

In answer to the OP, "what are the magic factors that make you return"... it's got to be somewhere good enough to make you put a date in the diary and book a babysitter. It's no longer a local impromptu dinner, it's an occasion, a treat, and the food and atmosphere need to match. Along Lordship Lane, The old ToastED was probably the only place that fitted that criteria, and I suppose arguably Franklins.

Posted by DovertheRoad May 21, 08:38PM

I'm not sure special night out places can last the distance. ToastED was very good but the food was a little bit too clever to have me going more than once or twice a year. There's only so much pureed beetroot charcuterie and unpasturised cheese a man can take. Which is why I think Terroir is much more of a crowd pleaser. I went last week and menu was reasonably priced and had stuff like steak hache and chips. Gnocci with peas. Lovely wine. Simpler, cheaper and will be back.

Posted by fishbiscuits May 22, 04:22PM

Terroirs is good. But more of a lunch-with-kids place for us (as is the new Japanese on North X Rd), rather than somewhere which justifies the palava of going out for dinner.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum